Essential Books for Audiophiles/Music Fans

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by MikePh, Jan 25, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. d.r.cook

d.r.cook Senior Member

THE BIG BEAT (OOP, by Max Weinberg, now bringing up to $150, only published in soft cover, I think).

ENCYCLOPEDIA OF COUNTRY MUSIC

SONG BOOK (by High Fidelity author Nick Hornby, a collection of essays on his favorite songs, including a CD with most of the tracks; nice design, and a bargain at $26, since I think it's likely to be a collectable. An updated softcover with more song essays but no CD is also available. The original is not hard to find in bookstores and is already being offered online at jacked- up prices, but is still available online from McSweeney's at the normal price.)

SWEET SOUL MUSIC

IT CAME FROM MEMPHIS Robert Gordon

CAN'T BE SATISFIED, THE LIFE & TIMES OF MUDDY WATERS, also Gordon

WHAT'D I SAY, The Story of Atlantic Records, Amhet Urtegen (big book, nice pics!)

SOULSVILLE USA--THE STORY OF STAX/VOLT RECORDS, Rob Bowman

TEMPLES OF SOUND: INSIDE THE GREAT RECORDING STUDIOS (The only one listed I have not read, but it looks really interesting.)

RHYTHM OIL: A JOURNEY THROUGH THE AMERICAN SOUTH

I THINK ALL of the DaCapo Press books that collect the best rock writing of the year are worth having; each has a notable editor. Guralnick and Hornby have both done it, and the current one covering 2003 is edited by Matt Gorening of Simpsons fame, a one-time fanzine writer/music critic.

doug

2. Urban Spaceman

Urban Spaceman Forum Eulipion

I have to admit I really enjoyed Levon Helm's autobiography "This Wheel's on Fire". He's got some great stories and a very sober view of the music biz in general. Imagine if the Hawks had become Sonny Boy Williamson's backing group?!? Too cool!

----- Chris

3. Mike Dow

Mike Dow I kind of like the music

Wow! I had no idea it was going for that kind of dough. I'll be sure to treat my copy with lots of TLC. This really should be reissued in updated form. Bill has probably interviewed many other interesting songwriters since this book was first published.

4. d.r.cook

d.r.cook Senior Member

Yeah, this is a good one, though Levon has a tough time hiding his bitterness toward Robertson for busting up "his" band.

One I'd forgotten about: Charlie Gilletts' The Sound of the City: the Rise of Rock and Roll. First published in 1970 (I think), it's still one of the best primers on the emergecne of rock from its blues and r&b roots, espec how geography, economics and small indies played such a vital role.

doug

5. Harry Castleman & Walter J. Podrazik - All Together Now: The First Complete Beatles Discography 1961 - 1975
    Alan Cross - The Alternative Music Almanac V1.0
    Rachel Felder - Manic Pop Thrill
    Nick Logan, Bob Woffinden - (various editions of) The New Musical Express Illustrated Encyclopedia of Rock
    Ian MacDonald - Revolution in the Head: The Beatles' Records and the Sixties
    George Martin, Jeremy Hornsby - All You Need Is Ears: The inside personal story of the genius who created The Beatles
    George Martin, William Pearson - With a Little Help from My Friends: The Making of Sgt. Pepper
    Jimmy McDonough - Shakey: Neil Young's Biography
    Steve Turner - A Hard Day's Write: The Stories Behind Every Beatles' Song
    Bill Wyman, Richard Havers - Rolling with the Stones
    Bill Wyman, Richard Havers - Bill Wyman's Blues Odyssey: A Journey to Music's Heart & Soul

I thoroughly enjoyed the Stones book from cover to cover. With the Blues Odyseey book there is a 2 CD companion set you can purchase as well that includes tracks from Blind Willie McTell, Pinetop Perkins, Robert Johnson, Blind Boy Fuller, Lonnie Johnson, Joe Turner and more.

Attached Files:

6. Mark

Mark I Am Gort, Hear Me Roar Staff

Agreed, and I would add the Rolling Stone Illustrated History of Rock and Roll.

7. romanotrax

romanotrax Forum Resident

I will second that... a great read.

And add

Hit Men : Power Brokers and Fast Money Inside the Music Business
    by Frederic Dannen.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.