Estocks - Any Fans of This Seller?

Discussion in 'Marketplace Discussions' started by Malina, Apr 14, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. The_Windmill

The_Windmill Forum Resident

I doubt it.
    Their process seems to be optimized to be as fast as possible with as minimal human intervention as possible. They don't operate as an old style music shop. That's why you get great deals from them sometimes, or 1p CDs (courtesy of the automatic repricing software).
    I guess the shipping mistakes happen for the same reason: maybe there's a fault in their process and only the first CD/code gets actually searched and packed, and people just don't double check.

Yep!

2. PH416156

PH416156 Alea Iacta Est

The party's over. No more 1 penny discs; as I posted elsewhere, starting from August, Amazon UK allows marketplace sellers to set their own media rates. Several sellers kept the old rates, many didn't. You can still find some sellers that have 1p discs but the shipping rates are now much higher. It was great receiving many discs for approximately €2.25 (shipping included) but now...no more. Furthermore, Amazon UK more than doubled its previous fees for a single music title sold on the marketplace, so every seller had to raise.

The_Windmill likes this.
  3. The_Windmill

I just checked. MusicMagpie's rates are pretty the same as before for me, 1.82 to ship to Italy. Momox too, another seller I like.
    Maybe they got back to it, I don't know. It's months I haven't bought a CD there.

4. PH416156

PH416156 Alea Iacta Est

shipping rates the same, but estocks are not selling 1p cds anymore. That was my main point.:)

The_Windmill likes this.
  5. Dave S

Dave S Forum Resident

Music Magpie own the store That's Entertainment. That's Entertainment is a shadow of its former self, but my home town still have a store. I occasionally go in and find bargains, for example, the HDCD version of Jimi Hendrix's The Ultimate Experience (same barcode as the non HDCD version). At one time, they had about a dozen copies of Michael Jackson's Bad with the original mixes, including early Austrian, Japanese, and Swiss versions.

6. JoeD

JoeD Forum Resident

It looks like they've changed their username on eBay to "decluttr_store"

Johnny Reb likes this.
  7. Dave Garrett

Dave Garrett Senior Member

Given the username, I assume they are affiliated with Decluttr:

Decluttr

8. Malina

Malina Forum Resident Thread Starter

I noticed that yesterday when I snagged one of these for 8.99 when the next lowest price was 42 bucks. As I clicked the Buy It Now button I said to myself, "Hmmm. This looks suspiciously like Estocks." :agree:

Al Green : Lets Stay Together / Im Still in Love With You CD | eBay

9. Johnny Reb

Johnny Reb Résident du forum

Here's an odd one. I ordered an item from them on Amazon (under the name of decluttr store), and instead of the Shangri-Las CD Remember they sent me The Red Bird Story various artists CD. Not only was it the wrong item, the Red Bird Story was missing the second disc, the first disc was badly scratched, the digipak tray was broken so the disc wouldn't stay in, and the booklet was torn out and missing.

Then they want me to send the item back?! What for? They can't sell it. What a hassle for no reason. Just give me a refund already... :thumbsdow

melstapler, Dave and sonnyrock like this.
  10. PJayBe

PJayBe Forum Resident

They have always either said no problem we'll send a replacement or just sent the new disc. This has happened to me in the last few days where a DVD cover did not contain the original DVD.

11. Johnny Reb

The problem is that they didn't have another, so I had to ask for a monetary refund...

12. BG99

BG99 Forum Resident

Most of the time they let you keep the item, credit you and son't want it back. But yes, I've had to do that - at least once from them. They only sent me Disc #3 of the Jefferson Airplane Loves You (Box Set), though the listing claimed it was complete and I paid $10 for it, with free shipping.. Cost me $2.61, but I was refunded $12.61, though in separate amounts.

Johnny Reb likes this.
  13. tmtomh

tmtomh Forum Resident

I've ordered once or twice from estocks on eBay (estocks_usa, or something like that, is their eBay name I think). I've had the same experience as some others - item arrives in bad shape (huge scratch on underside of CD) or is not the edition/pressing advertised in the auction.

They are very cool about issuing a full refund and not making you send the item back. But they are a huge churn operation, and in my experience you can't trust the condition or even the version/pressing info - both might be as-advertised, but one or both might not, it's a total crapshoot.

For this reason, I avoid them. Even though they are easy to deal with, it's a drag to have to take a near-total shot in the dark when ordering something you want.

14. Knock on wood, I've had no bad experiences with Estocks. Though I avoid CDs over $10 and anything important to me.

melstapler, npc210 and tmtomh like this.
  15. Johnny Reb

I actually immediately sent them a (very polite) message asking whether I had to send the item back to get a refund, and explained how beat up the thing was. It's now Sunday and I've yet to even get a response...

16. Malina

If they ask for it back that means they want it back. I would assume they're concern is that you could be trying to rip them off. My understanding is that Amazon sellers are required to provide a prepaid return label. Is there a problem getting a prepaid label?

melstapler and Johnny Reb like this.
  17. Malina

I use them for cd's when even used copies are 20, 30, 40 bucks and up. In those cases they have no competition.

18. Johnny Reb

No, but I figured that we'd both prefer them giving me a quick refund rather than going through the process. It's not that big of a deal of course, but it's a rather annoying thing to go through because of their incompetence... Shipping it out to them tomorrow. (Of course I'll still use them and hope to get lucky! I mean, who doesn't want to save $15 and take a chance? :))

19. Malina

The occasional mistake is the price we pay for the crazy good deals that they often provide. As someone I know used to say, "You have to take the good with the bad." As for what the rep you are dealing with might "prefer" - that doesn't come into play. He is just doing what he's told - these guys have over HALF A MILLION cd's listed on Ebay alone. They are volume dealers and don't have time for thoughtful contemplation on how to deal with one transaction for 10 bucks. That is how they keep the prices low. In return for the killer deals sometimes you don't get the deal - that's Estocks! Currently Decluttr.

The Zapp and Roger Rhino set new for 15 bucks when it goes for 50 and up? The Crescent City Soul box for 10 bucks when it goes for 50 and up? Come on now. I've gotten a good amount of crazy deals and seen more that I haven't snagged. When I buy they are the only option - my last purchase: should I pay estocks 9 bucks for the Al Green cd or pay the other guy 42 bucks? That's when Estock kicks butt.

I know they might screw up sometimes because their job is to blow the stuff out the door, but there is no big seller doing what Estock's does so you have to take the good with the bad. I think I might have gotten a refund on one problem - no return requests for me yet.

Last edited: Oct 8, 2017
    ispace and Johnny Reb like this.
  20. Johnny Reb

:righton:

21. The_Windmill

They don't use it, at least the UK based branch i buy from. I don't know why, maybe saving costs?
    When I had to send back, they sent me their procedure, which is basically: use the same packaging you got it in, send it back at your own expenses, include the shipping fee in the package, full refund when it arrives.
    Only in never arrived (thanks to Italian post service, I guess). It was two CDs and it cost me twice the price I paid for them.

In another case, I was given a half refund for what I can remember was a wrong title.

BUT mostly, it was a no hassle, full refund without sending back (but they were all 1P CDs or very cheap nonetheless).

During these years, I've had the impression that their reply was quite erratic, sometimes contradictory from case to case. Maybe just different employees, maybe a change in procedure, I don't know.
    Sometimes they sent a replacement. Sometimes, while having it in stock, they inexplicably only offered a refund. In one blessed moment, they cancelled an order because the CD was found to be in terrible state after inspection.

But most of the times it was an excellent deal. And sometimes I got CDs very well kept, or less played, in better state than advertised. Especially classical music.

Yep.

22. npc210

npc210 Forum Resident

eStocks is probably my favorite eBay seller for used CDs.

Most CDs can be had for between $4 and $7, and the UPCs are generally accurate if you're looking for original pressings. And if it's not the exact pressing you wanted, they'll usually issue a refund AND let you keep the item. :righton:

Condition is hit or miss, but I don't recall heavy scratches or problems ripping 99.9 percent of eStocks discs. On the other hand, a seller from the UK that lists its site being in Florida — I forget the same of the account, but they also sell in large volumes — has shipped me moldy cases and rotted CDs in the past.

Last edited: Oct 9, 2017
  23. Johnny Reb

Okay now, THIS is weird. After the bad experience with estocks, I ordered the Shangri-Las CD from Amazon. THEY sent me The Red Bird Story too! Seems it's harder to get this Shangs CD than it outta be... :doh:

Malina and Dave like this.
  24. Johnny Reb

Off topic, but I requested a replacement, and they again sent me The Red Bird Story despite me making it very clear in my note that I ordered the Shangri-Las CD! Does this thing even exist?!

Malina likes this.
  25. The_Windmill

At this point I would suspect something got screwed up with the barcodes.

melstapler likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.