Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by Mike B, Apr 9, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Mike B

Mike B Forum Resident Thread Starter

From the quirky, post-modern existentialist mind of possibly the only current screenwriter who's a household name, Charlie Kaufmann's script lovingly transformed into an achingly beautiful and stormy portrayal of what I consider to be the most moving, honest examination of relationships in cinema for a very, very long time.

Jim Carrey continues to shoot for an Oscar nod and this time it may be justified. His brand of schmaltz actually has a place here and this is the first character he's ever played I can relate to (yes, that includes the Truman Show). The infinitely adorable Kate Winslet displays her talent in all its glory, casting all doubts aside that she is one of our most talented starlets (and granting a long-held wish to us men smitten with her who prayed to the God of Cinema, "Please cast Ms Winslet in a GOOD movie which doesn't end with her drowning or possibly drowning!").

The plot is absurd, as have been all of Kaufmann's plots (Being John Malkovish, Adaptation, etc). And, like those movies, it plays with structures and toys with the audience's intellect. But unlike those films, this movie has heart- so much heart, that it might breaks yours. The genius of it is that is not maudlin or saccharine, qualities that have put romances or romantic comedies off my cinematic radar as a movie-goer. Without getting into too many details, the film accurately channels some basic truths about love:
    - We are either doomed or blessed (depending on how you look at it) to repeat our mistakes.
    - The aspects of a lover's personality that you love will also be responsible for that which you come to hate.
    - Our memories define us and our relationship to others.
    - Kate Winslet is gorgeous no matter what color her hair is.

As Joel (Jim Carrey) fights to hold onto to his memories of his love, we cheer for his eventual self-destruction, as he fights for his right to suffer, because it is in the suffering that we re-affirm our existence. When you want to caress and then smack Clementine (Winslet), you remember the blessed insanity of all your relationships- well, the ones that matter, anyway.

Besides the principles, the cast is peppered with excellent and prominent actors who serve to expound on the plot and swell out the principles behind the film in charming fashion.

2. Ken D

Ken D New Member

Now that's a moving review !

thanks, I was on the fence on whether to see the movie.

- Ken

3. Ken D

Ken D New Member

slip of finger, meant to write "movie" review.

4. MITBeta

MITBeta New Member

The former was no less accurate, imho.

5. Todd Fredericks

Todd Fredericks Senior Member

I saw the film last night and sadly I didn't enjoy it. I thought the concept was really amazing but most of the character's journey through his evaporating memories and shifting reality became just too much for me. Don't get me wrong, I usually love films like this but I could've used a bit more traditional storytelling to get me through it.

6. Mike B

Mike B Forum Resident Thread Starter

Thanks, guys.

This is not a film that will work for everyone. It's the kind that will be criticised and praised for the same things when looking at it from an objective perspective. It's sloppy and awkward. But then so is the subject matter, and I think a "clean" film would not have been effective.

7. ATR

ATR Senior Member

And it didn't work for me, but that was Charlie Kaufman's fault. He provided us with his usual high concept, which wasn't any more than what we've already seen for example in a film like Twelve Monkeys, and two drab characters played by terrific actors with no screen chemistry here. Far better were Kirsten Dunst, Tom Wilkinson, and Mark Ruffalo but that's not saying much. It's not that I don't get the idea here, it's that it boils down to sentimental boy/girl claptrap. I thought Being John Malkovich was a hoot and the best movie he wrote was Confessions of a Dangerous Mind, but that's me. Kate Winslet kept the Titanic from sinking but she couldn't save this one. I'm having it erased from my memory.

8. davenav

davenav High Plains Grifter

Yikes! I loved it! (I admit I am a big Charlie Kaufman fan) My date loved it and complimented me on picking a winner! Great concept, great storytelling, great acting. What else can you ask for? I found it very moving which is kind of a new experience as far as Kaufman goes.

9. davenav

davenav High Plains Grifter

I forgot to mention--great review!! Thanks!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.