Ethernet With Fire TV

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by George Blair, Apr 2, 2021.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. George Blair

George Blair Senior Member Thread Starter

This seems an easy question, but Google has failed me. I stream with a 4K Fire Stick and have an Ethernet cable directly into the TCL TV. Is there any advantage to using the Amazon Fire Stick Ethernet Adapter as opposed to the TV connection? Don't all smart TV's allow for USB Ethernet connections? What is the purpose of an adapter specifically for Fire TV?

2. jojopuppyfish

jojopuppyfish Senior Member

If you have smart tv through your physical television, then you might not need Amazon Fire.
    My TV wasn't a smart tv so I bought the fire tv.
    Its connected to my Amazon Prime account and I can download the apps from amazon.
    My parents have a sony tv and they've had nothing but problems with the WIFI and ethernet on the tv.
    So that might be a reason for you to buy the fire stick.

3. George Blair

I understand that part. I chose the Fire Stick because I prefer the interface over the Roku installed on the TV. My question remains: Does Firestick perform better with the proprietary adapter for the Ethernet connection - or is it just the same as using the Ethernet directly into the TV itself. I don't have the Fire TV box, just the stick remote.

4. Scowl

Scowl Forum Resident

Televisions are Ethernet hubs now?

5. sixtiesstereo

sixtiesstereo Senior Member

Why wouldn't you just use the wireless built into the Firestick? Mine has worked
    flawlessly for two years now (on three TV's).

Doug_B likes this.
  6. daglesj

daglesj Forum Resident

I use the Ethernet adaptor for my 4K FireTV stick cos I always prefer Ethernet for stuff I just want to work all the time. I have 1600Mbps of wi-fi bandwidth but I just prefer to leave that for mobile devices and customers.

7. The Hud

The Hud Breath of the Kingdom, Tears of the Wild

Can you hook the Ethernet to the TV and the Fire Stick at the same time? Sounds like if the Ethernet is going straight to your TV, then the Fire Stick is still using a wireless connection, which wouldn't be as good as a wired connection.

Or if you are not using any of the apps on the TV itself, I would hook the Ethernet to the Fire Stick and hook the Fire Stick to the TV with HDMI.

8. jkauff

jkauff Senior Member

The 4K Fire TV has a proprietary Ethernet adapter, as you’ve discovered. I suppose the device works fine on WiFi, but all of my other devices are hard-wired to my LAN so I bought the adapter. I live in an apartment complex so I’m playing it safe.

Since the Stick needs internet access, you only have two ways to connect it to your router—WiFi or wire.

9. George Blair

The Fire Stick is hooked to the TV with HDMI. It is configured to recognize the wired Internet connection plugged into the TV. My only question is does it make any difference if the Ethernet signal is going directly into the TV vs connecting to a Fire TV adapter attached to the Firestick USB hub.

10. The Hud

The Hud Breath of the Kingdom, Tears of the Wild

Don't know, but it is worth trying since it won't be difficult to change back if you need to.

George Blair and fluffskul like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.