Ethically purchasing used compact discs: ?

Discussion in 'Marketplace Discussions' started by Cherrycherry, Oct 26, 2019.

1. SKBubba

SKBubba Forum Resident

I have purchased a few used CDs. I tell myself that the person I purchased them from is ethical and did not keep any digital copies. I am very good at rationalization.

2. Oatsdad

Oatsdad Oat, Biscuits and Abbie: Best Dogs Ever

So you're to blame??? :wantsome:

Grant and Gaslight like this.
  3. anorak2

anorak2 Forum Resident

In my case that would be a stupid thief. The resale value of my CDs is much higher than that of my hard drives.

4. Grant

Grant Just me

No. They want the hard drives, not the content on them.

5. Grant

Grant Just me

I don't care if they kept digital copies or not. As a second-party purchaser, it's not my concern.

6. anorak2

anorak2 Forum Resident

My current best harddrive is a 4 TB one, which was about 100 EUR new. I have one or two records that (according to discogs anyway) fetch 100 or so EUR in the collector's market, and also some CDs that fetch 50 EUR each or so. A thief who knows his stuff would want to steal the most valuable items of my CD and record collection rather than the hard drive.

7. Then keep an itemized print-out of your Discogs collection and it's value next to your CDs and LPs to help the thief make the correct decision and leave your harddrive.

Grant and Gaslight like this.
  8. anorak2

anorak2 Forum Resident

Yes, I better pin it on my front door so the thief doesn't burgle my next door neighbours instead.

Dave likes this.