Ethically purchasing used compact discs: ?

Discussion in 'Marketplace Discussions' started by Cherrycherry, Oct 26, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ccbarr

ccbarr Forum Resident

I buy a ton of CDs, mostly new. But if I find a used one that is OOP or is just a good deal, I will buy them. The last one I bought was Modern Music by Be-Bop Deluxe. I know that album is being reissued soon, but wanted to check out the album. That is a big thing for me, if the CD is in print, I will gladly buy it new most of the time. But when they are OOP, used is obviously the only option.

I guess I figure somebody originally bought the disc, so the artist was compensated. Is it really much worse than when CDs/LPs are in cutout bins? Actually I don't know if they exist anymore, but some new CDs I've bought through the years had a hole drilled in the case or a notch on the spine. And the CD was like 1 dollar, cheaper than a used disc.

2. abzach

abzach Forum Resident

... dear lord...

3. TimB

TimB Pop, Rock and Blues for me!

And what about items to be left to heirs in a will?

kronning likes this.
  4. BPMC

BPMC Forum Resident

I was thinking the same thing... I bought a used Santa Fe over at Carmax a couple years ago. A fortune in R&D costs probably went into the development of that vehicle, but nobody would ever argue that Hyundai was entitled to a cut of the re-sale price.

starduster, DirkM and kronning like this.
  5. anorak2

anorak2 Forum Resident

Yes but that is the only reason an ethical issue could even arise. Assuming you never copy the CD, you lose the enjoyment of playing the music after selling it on. At any one time only one person can get pleasure out of it, so there is no reason to compensate the artist twice. It's the same as with any other product.

Mr-Beagle, DirkM and kronning like this.
  6. bzfgt

bzfgt The Grand High Exalted Mystic Ruler

If no animals are harmed, I don't see why not...

starduster, kronning, ARK and 2 others like this.
  7. Say It Right

Say It Right Not for the Hearing Impaired

A used SACD of mine is available for sale. You can ethically purchase it! :agree:

Grant and kronning like this.
  8. Jack White

Jack White Senior Member

Next on the agenda, "Lending a paperback to a friend: mere moral outrage or potential criminal act?"

9. PineBark

PineBark formerly known as BackScratcher

Such issues are always the ethical responsibility of the seller, not the buyer. (There's no moral dilemma buying.)

Personally, I always delete any copies that I might have when I sell a used disc.

Last edited: Oct 26, 2019
    starduster and kronning like this.
  10. Jerk The Handle

Jerk The Handle Electrician

Someone's already compensated the rights owners (hopefully). Now making copies and selling them, that's unethical and illegal.

Grant, BPMC, kronning and 1 other person like this.
  11. Thievius

Thievius Blue Oyster Cult-ist

I've never pondered the ethical dilemma of buying used CDs because it doesn't exist. Silly question.

12. markshan

markshan Forum Resident

Ethnicity?

13. markshan

markshan Forum Resident

Not apples to apples. The question is copyright. I'm pretty sure your dad didn't copyright his work on the house.

kronning likes this.
  14. markshan

markshan Forum Resident

See post above.

kronning likes this.
  15. anorak2

anorak2 Forum Resident

Depends where you live. In some countries it's legal, in others it isn't.

Ethics should be universal, so any meaningful discussion we could have would be about that while ignoring the different legal situations.

kronning likes this.
  16. Farmer Mike

Farmer Mike Forum Resident

He wasn't a maniac, he is a business major from Oklahoma State, who made records.

kronning and ARK like this.
  17. anorak2

anorak2 Forum Resident

The OP asked about ethics, not legality. Ethically I see no reason to treat the creation of a work of art differently from creating a physical object or manual labour. Some form of creativity is involved in almost any human work. The fact that the law treats them differently is down to tradition and lobbyism.

A related question is, is it ethical to treat work done by employees different from work done by the self-employed.

Grant, Imagine70 and kronning like this.
  18. markshan

markshan Forum Resident

Thank you for saving this thread. I really thought this community was more well informed than it is demonstrating here.

kronning likes this.
  19. markshan

markshan Forum Resident

Well, I certainly agree that ethics are not the same as legality. The founders of this country set up copyright law to protect creators and foster innovation. Then the Disney Corporation came along and lobbied to have it changed so that it created intellectual monarchies and suppressed creativity. So I disagree that it is mainly dictated by tradition, thought fully agree that lobbyism has far too much sway currently. Laws are supposed to better society.

Imagine70 and kronning like this.
  20. markshan

markshan Forum Resident

I'm off to peruse the used vinyl threads now.

kronning and PineBark like this.
  21. Kingsley Fats

Kingsley Fats Forum Resident

Is borrowing a book from the library ethical ?

22. markshan

markshan Forum Resident

Why wouldn't it be?

kronning likes this.
  23. markshan

markshan Forum Resident

@Cherrycherry or anyone who is really interested in this subject should read a brilliant book called "Remix" by Lawrence Lessig. It is available for free download on Internet Archive. Anyone who made posts about used cars should watch this TED talk of his. It will at least demonstrate that the situation isn't as cut and dried as they think it is.

Laws that choke creativity

24. bluemooze

bluemooze Senior Member

Get a life. :shake:

starduster, kronning and NaturalD like this.
  25. Kingsley Fats

Kingsley Fats Forum Resident

Exactly. So why would buying second hand cd's/vinyl be unethical

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.