DCC Archive Even More DVD-A Titles

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Unknown, Dec 8, 2001.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Unknown

Unknown Guest Thread Starter

Hi Everybody,

Been reading the posts here for a week or so and decided to join. There appears to be some interesting info posted here and I wanted to add to it. The following are DVD-A titles that have been announced by all of the major labels for release between now and the end of 2002. These are in addition to the group previously listed. Looks like 2002 is going to be a very good year for surround!

Al Green: Greatest Hits (EMI)
    Allman Brothers: Live At The Fillmore East (Universal)
    Bob Marley: Exodus (Universal)
    Celine Dion: All The Way...A Decade Of Song (Sony)
    Chuck Mangione: Everything For Love (Chesky)
    Dave Grusin: Two For The Road (Universal)
    Derek & The Dominoes: Layla (Universal)
    Diane Krall: Love Scenes (Universal)
    Eagles: Hotel California (Warner)
    Elton John: One Night Only..The Greatest Hits (Universal)
    Eric Johnson:Ah Via Misicom (EMI)
    Etta James: Blue Gardenia (BMG)
    Hootie & The Blowfish: Cracked Rear View (Warner)
    Joe Cocker: Mad Dogs And Englishmen (Universal)
    Leon Russel: Retrospective (EMI)
    Meatloaf: Bat Out Of Hell (Sony)
    Nitty Gritty Surround: John McEuen & Jimmy Ibbotson (Aix)
    Pete Townsend: Scoop 3 (Classic)
    Peter Frampton; Frampton Comes Alive (Universal)
    Queen: A Night At The Opera (DTS)
    Randy Newman: Little Criminals (Warner)
    Sting: Brand New Day (Universal)

2. SteveSDCA

SteveSDCA Senior Member

I thought Universal chose SACD?

3. Metralla

Metralla Joined Jan 13, 2002

Meatloaf "Bat..." is on Sony stereo SACD. Been out for a while.

Regards,
    Metralla

4. GregM

GregM The expanding man

Laserguy, did you get this info from Jerry D. of audiorevolution.com?

5. Unknown

Laserguy, did you get this info from Jerry D. of audiorevolution.com?

--------------------------------------------

Bits of the list came from there. The list comes from appx 10+ different sources. Sometimes the info shows up in interviews as much as a year in advance as was the case with the Grateful Dead releases and the upcoming Nitty Gritty Surround release. So far these sources have been 100% accurate. Will everything I listed make it into production? I personally believe they will, but with changing market conditions, only time will tell. As noted in one of the abouve posts, Universal had decided to go with SACD, but then so did EMI. As most are now aware, EMI has already started releasing DVD-A titles, and more are due out before Xmas. The Pete Townsend release came from a small blurb in a trade publication about 6 months ago. It's now listed for pre-order on the Music Direct web site. When I posted this list, it was not meant to be set in stone, just a guide as to what had been "announced" for release.

6. RetroSmith

RetroSmith Forum Hall Of Fame<br>(Formerly Mikey5967)

Laserguy, thats a great list!!

So many DVD-A titles are getting announced thats its hard to keep up with it. 2002 Is going to be a great year for surround.

Its looking like all the majors will be releasing catalog in DVD-A, no matter what they announced. They will release what the public buys most of, thats a certainty.
    My guess is that most will release BOTH SACD and DVD-A and see which way the wind blows.

My feeling tho, is that SACD will remain a "niche" product while DVD-A becomes more of mainstream mass market product.
    There were always 1000$ turntables in the Vinyl days, but how many people bought them?

Still, there is room for both. For many years every major record compnay issued lps, cassettes AND 8 tracks. I dont see a big difference from that to SACD/DVD-A.

7. Unknown

Meatloaf "Bat..." is on Sony stereo SACD. Been out for a while.

--------------------------------------------

Hi Metralla,

I'm aware that "Bat.." is on SACD, but earlier this year, Sony announced that a number of titles that had been released as stereo SACD's would be re-released as MC SACD's as well. Billy Joel, Meatloaf, Boston and John Denver were to be the first to be re-released. At the same time, Sony announced that Meatloaf would also be released in DVD-A format. There was also a notice in one of the trade pubs recently that Sony had several other titles set for DVD-A release as well, but no titles were given. My take on the subject is that it will depend on SACD sales.

8. Sckott

Sckott Hand Tighten Only.

It's my understanding that in that list, there are SACD titles in it, some released, some coming, and will not be released on DVD-A.

ie: Me thinks that list is 1/4 - 1/2 SACD titles thrown in et al.

9. bmoura

bmoura Senior Member

The Celine Dion "All the Way" disc has also been out on Stereo SACD. Sony is selling off the last copies now in preparation for the Multichannel SACD disc release.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.