Even Satanists want film credits - Netflix lawsuit settle with Satanic Temple

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by Ghostworld, Nov 22, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Ghostworld

Ghostworld Senior Member Thread Starter

eddiel likes this.
  2. jedilips00

jedilips00 non-exist-ent

real Satanists don't "worship the Devil" FYI. they are usually actually atheists.

3. Ghostworld

I didn't know. I mean, yeah, what is this crap?

The Satanic Temple is a nontheistic religious and political activist group based in Salem, Massachusetts. The Temple has several chapter groups, the largest of which is in Detroit, Michigan. The group uses Satanic imagery to promote egalitarianism, social justice and the separation of church and state.

"Social justice?" Don't they mean "social unrest?" "Societal upheaval" What the hell? Give me Anton LaVey, anyday!! I want some Devil with a capital "D" in my satanic temple!

Last edited: Nov 22, 2018
    Chris DeVoe likes this.
  4. Exactly! This is why half-assing it in other churches have always yielded half-assed results. We need some real goat blood drinking, public orgies, kissing venomous snakes, and a couple of Rosemary's babies to get me to take them seriously. Otherwise they're just another cause without a cure. :rolleyes:

showtaper and Ghostworld like this.
  5. Please forgive my ignorance; this is a serious question; so if Satanists don't believe in deities, then how can they attach themselves to a deity in Satan?

6. agentalbert

agentalbert Senior Member

I don't think they believe Satan/The Devil/whatever is an actual entity. Just a name for some aspects of human nature.

7. Roland Stone

Roland Stone Offending Member

For maximum trolling and attention. It's my understanding they are atheists, libertarians, constitutionalists or humanists who deplore government-sanctioned religion.

So when government entities allow religious expression on their grounds or ceremonies, the "Satanists" sue for equal access to, say, to the same courthouse grounds or holiday festival and parade their goat heads, black robes and pentangles, etc.

I may have this wrong as I don't recall the full church name of the activists I saw on my report.

EVOLVIST likes this.
  8. Just great! So I've been praying to the wrong deity this whole time?! :realmad:

(Kidding of course. I've never prayed to any devil in my life. Granted, "Satan" has the best temptations, but I've never had to pray to get them.)

Ghostworld likes this.
  9. PaulKTF

PaulKTF Senior Member

No...

10. Ignatius

Ignatius Forum Resident

Poke Runyan had a beef with "SImon King of the Witches" apparently because they were Doing It Wrong.

11. nosticker

nosticker Forum Guy

If they weigh....the same.........as a duck, they're made of wood.......and therefore...........................

Dan

12. MagicAlex

MagicAlex Gort Emeritus

If one doesn’t believe in Satanism, or take the time to research what it essentially is, one might find that they have been following Satanistic principals for a long time unknowingly and without conscience consent.

jedilips00 and agentalbert like this.
  13. Dillydipper

Dillydipper Space-Age luddite

This is a mischaractarization of a belief system. Just because I don't drive a Chevy, that doesn't make me, "anti-car"; I'm just driving somebody else's car.

As for the lawsuit in question, appropriating a creative work without credit, payment or other such consideration is improper, and under the system they work in for profit, they do owe the owner of the creative work something.

I'd venture to say, "unethical", but yes I see the dichotomy here.

Chris DeVoe likes this.
  14. Ghostworld

I don't need to research nothin' to know I'm on the road to hell ... and loving it. There's a reason (or not) for everything in this world: balance. If the pure path is the Ying: Call me 'Yang."

15. jedilips00

jedilips00 non-exist-ent

yeah.

from the horse's mouth: Frequently Asked Questions | Church of Satan

16. agentalbert

agentalbert Senior Member

I read the Satanic bible once years ago out of curiosity and that was my impression. It just seemed like mostly extreme-libertarianism with a rejection of any religious based morality. And then some gibberish spells/rituals thrown in for good measure that were probably just an excuse to have orgies with goth chicks or to make the book look appealing to the Dungeons & Dragons crowd.

Dudley Morris and EVOLVIST like this.
  17. This made me laugh out loud!

18. Jesus! There are tons of symbols of pride, liberty and individualism. Why choose a character of lore who lost a big battle and was shamed for eternity? :rolleyes:

Personally I would have chosen George Carlin.

Chris DeVoe likes this.
  19. Dillydipper

Dillydipper Space-Age luddite

Personally I would have chosen to focus on the news story and issue at hand, rather than to try and start a discussion that is in contrast with the board's best interests. Anybody really think they're gonna win an argument on an audio/music board about how many demons can dance on the head of a pin? I suggest creative license and the outcome of a lawsuit are much smarter things to concern yourselves with. Or, take it somewhere discussion like this has value.

20. GentleSenator

GentleSenator what if

surprised this thread has been as civil as it has for 9 hours.

lightbulb likes this.
  21. lightbulb

lightbulb Not the Brightest of the Bunch

Everyone’s bogged down and stuffed with turkey or surfing for bargains to get their feathers ruffled...

For now

GentleSenator likes this.
  22. Cokelike-

Cokelike- Forum Resident

Seriously, that statue is bitchin'. The inclusion of the children looking up in admiration was genius. The vacant straight ahead stare of the goat head. The detail involved. This is a work of art. I love whenever some news story pops up about this. Would totally take a picture with this statue, maybe leaning against the goat like we're old pals or something. Ha, ha.

Chris DeVoe and agentalbert like this.
  23. WerewolfLondon

WerewolfLondon Forum Resident

These guys are a disgrace. What kind of self-respecting satanist would reach an amicable settlement? Frauds.

Chris DeVoe likes this.
  24. EdogawaRampo

EdogawaRampo Senior Member

I don't get it -- how can you sue over the image of the pre-Christian deity Baphomet? Where's the copyright on that? Seems pretty public domain to me...

25. DigMyGroove

DigMyGroove Forum Resident

It’s all about the similarities between the real and TV version, and there are far too many. Knowing how tough the Warner Bros. TV legal clearance department is from personal experience I’m shocked this statue was allowed to be used as is. I’ll get the story one of these days.

GentleSenator likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.