Ever bought an album off of tv?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by R79, Nov 27, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Thievius

Thievius Blue Oyster Cult-ist

Yes, I have several in fact. Aside from the K-tel stuff, I have some Elvis RCAs I'm sure a lot of people on this forum are familiar with. One of them being:

[​IMG]

andrewskyDE, Dugan and 7solqs4iago like this.
  2. 7solqs4iago

7solqs4iago Forum Resident

as a devoted insomniac i've seen all the ads since 1983, and i miss that show with Art Mann going to crazy party locals, and the Quebec stations with women trying to convince me to dial up and have a chat for $20 a minute

3. 7solqs4iago

or The King's RCA Camden discount label collections

best sound comes from the Candle line of fine stereo equipment

[​IMG]

Thievius likes this.
  4. Thievius

I'm very familiar with the Camdens, but never as a mail order product. I always picked those up in stores. Maybe there was a special line of mail-in records I'm not familiar with...?

Dodoz likes this.
  5. 7solqs4iago

just a flashback of some disappointed purchasers trying to return these albums, that was all my involvement, turning them down

6. 7solqs4iago

7. Zappateer

Zappateer Forum Resident

Back in 1980 I bought an Otis Redding triple lp his greatest hits COD. The post office screwed up and never asked for payment so I guess it was a freebie.

Fullbug and 7solqs4iago like this.
  8. Thievius

:shrug:Don't know why. A lot of those old Camdens, while discount titles, were often great collections of tunes from movies that didn't have their own soundtracks. Among other things. Nevertheless, unless I am sorely mistaken, those don't quite fit in this category.

9. rswitzer

rswitzer Forum Resident

Let me guess. You watched this show ONLY for the music!

Vic_1957, andrewskyDE and Chazzbo13 like this.
  10. MYQ1

MYQ1 Forum Resident

"has sold more albums than Elvis & even the Beatles!"..........:D

Fullbug likes this.
  11. Dodgytc

Dodgytc Forum Resident

12. MYQ1

MYQ1 Forum Resident

I didn't buy it but check out this creepy commercial for "Fantastic Original Allman":

Vic_1957 likes this.
  13. nicotinecaffeine

nicotinecaffeine Forum Resident

"Allow 4-6 weeks for delivery"

I can understand 2 weeks tops in the 80s, but 4-6 weeks...that's simple laziness.

Fullbug, 7solqs4iago and MYQ1 like this.
  14. gabbleratchet7

gabbleratchet7 Forum Resident

Man, there were so many songs from the ‘60s and ‘70s that I first heard from those K-Tel ads as a child. The short snippets were so burned into my consciousness from repetition that it would be jarring (and sometimes disappointing) to eventually hear what the rest of the song sounded like.

The only one I ever pulled the trigger on was a 3-CD compilation of King Biscuit Flower Hour live tracks.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Nov 27, 2020
    Vic_1957 likes this.
  15. AudioPhil

AudioPhil Forum Resident

Played it non stop in the summer of '76

16. Chris C

Chris C Music was my first love and it will be my last!

I absolutely had that one ...

andrewskyDE, McLover and Thievius like this.
  17. Chris C

Chris C Music was my first love and it will be my last!

I've still got that one, although I never knew it was a TV release, I thought it was just an Import?

I also like to call this album "Just how much Beach Boys can we squeeze on one side of an LP?"

Dodoz likes this.
  18. AudioPhil

AudioPhil Forum Resident

It was massive in the UK in 1976, the summer heat wave helped ;)

Chris C likes this.
  19. McLover

McLover Senior Member

They were not mail order records, the RCA Camden line. The RCA Special Products line like that RCA Elvis 2 LP set were TV mail order records. And this one has a lot of horribly rechanneled Stereo mush with more reverb than a New Jersey Sewer. Basically sounds like Elvis over a bad AT&T Long Lines feed from Tel Aviv, Israel. If you want a bad sounding Elvis hits collection, then you want this LP set really bad.

20. egebamyasi

egebamyasi Forum Resident

One of my first albums and I don't know where I got it from so maybe???

Vic_1957 likes this.
  21. andrewskyDE

andrewskyDE Island Owner

Around 2001, not me but my mom ordered a 5-CD compilation called Superhits Of Rock'n'Roll.
    It was offered on German TV as permanent advertising late at night for a while back then.
    The compilation set itself is alright, but actually mixed between original 1950s recordings and 60s/later re-recordings...

[​IMG]

22. Thievius

Ha, great video. The thing that strikes me now is that even though it was indeed "not available in stores," it really was just a simple compilation album. I think we were all pretty naive back then and kind of excited just to see an Elvis record being advertised on TV. What can I say, those were much simpler times. :p

Chris C likes this.
  23. MilMascaras

MilMascaras Musicologist

You know, had fun childhood buying tv compilations, expanding my first library as a kid, supplemented by 45’s, cassingles, and later 3” CDs …

About 15 years ago, Starbucks partnered for an in store music label, ‘Hear Music’ selling exclusive compilations at their store counters and website. In the mid ‘naughts I was standing in line, laughing at the idea of a Starbucks offering… then I looked at the back cover of this CD… then I looked some more… hmmm… spoiler alert: I quickly bought it with the tons of gift cards I received from clients, and this CD compilation still makes a great playlist in the office or out on road trips…

[​IMG]

Fullbug likes this.
  24. DK Pete

DK Pete Forum Resident

One of my uncles was cool enough to buy me a copy of The Beatles Alpha Omega upon hearing me begging my parents for it in the early 70's. I still have it to this day for it's sentimental and historical value. It's one of the all time worst sounding Beatle related albums I own or, I'd venture to say, ever created. I think all the tracks were dubbed onto vinyl from vinyl copies of the U.S. albums. No "source" tapes here, that's for sure.

Vic_1957 likes this.
  25. rocknsoul74

rocknsoul74 Forum Resident

WELL TURN IT UP MAN!!!

Fullbug and asdf35 like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.