Ever experience people who clearly have no grasp of country music by what they say?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Price.pittsburgh, Dec 4, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. I think Michael Nesmith is more influenced by western music than country.

2. Price.pittsburgh

Price.pittsburgh Forum Resident Thread Starter

John Denver and Johnny Cash being exceptions who have fallen into both.

RSteven and boggs like this.
  3. E.Baba

E.Baba Forum Resident

No grasp of country music? that would be me.

4. ShockControl

ShockControl Bon Vivant and Raconteur!

There is a difference between country and western?

5. Crimson jon

Crimson jon Forum Resident

No never met anyone like that before...

Country music begins and ends with Garth Brooks as far as I'm concerned.

6. Dennis0675

Dennis0675 Hyperactive!

Yes, this is the generalization and stereotype that most people operate with. You hear the name and lump it all into one bucket. But much like bill Haley and the Comets and YES are both considered rock music, they are not the same. Country music has some amazing songwriters, vocalists and world class musicians. The difference between Patsy Cline, David Allan Coe, Chat Atkins, Marty Stewart, Dolly Parton and any pop act on the charts today is vast. There is something for everyone to like but not if you live under gross generalizations.

7. Dennis0675

Dennis0675 Hyperactive!

Yes there is, it was two separate categories that got filed together in record stores in the 50’s. Country was more eastern us (Appalachia) and western was Western swing, Cowboy folk songs and the soon to be Bakersfield sound. But you are correct that there hasn’t been a difference for a very long time.

8. englishbob

englishbob has left the SH Forums...19/05/2023

The same conversation I have with my wife, I point out there are some great country artists and songs. Just not the shooting your gun at the ceiling hoedowns that Country + Western has you imagining.

Country gets a lot of airplay over in the UK on BBC Radio2

Man at C&A, rebellovw and Dennis0675 like this.
  9. lucan_g

lucan_g Forum Resident

With a genre as broad as ‘country’... I always get a kick out of a thread where the OP holds himself up as the gatekeeper... the one who knows what ‘real’ country is.

Vintage1976, Robyrdt, Comet01 and 2 others like this.
  10. Evethingandnothing

Evethingandnothing Forum Resident

If country music isn't folk music, then why is it called "country", a word that very much descriptive of the music of rural folk?
    And a music that traditionally uses traditional folk instruments, and is originally derived from european folk songs and the blues (another "folk" genre).

11. Bobby Morrow

Bobby Morrow Senior Member

There are lots of people who have no grasp of country music...

Unfortunately, a great many of them are in the current country music charts!

RSteven, Robyrdt, Man at C&A and 7 others like this.
  12. rebellovw

rebellovw Forum Resident

Country music has given itself such a bad name - "drinking coors in my boat" etc - I do love me some Drive By Truckers, Isbell etc (my favorites - and I have many albums - and one on the way) - but man there is some garbage out there.

13. Veni Vidi Vici

Veni Vidi Vici Forum Resident

OK, who called the genre cops? What are they doing here when they could be hassling the metal kids?

14. carlwm

carlwm Forum Resident

I think, perhaps,that folk music means different thing on either side of the Atlantic. Genuinely curious: What is your definition of folk music and would you, please, give some examples of folk musicians that Europeans regard as country?

Please be assured, I am in no way trying to start an argument here. I really am interested!

boggs likes this.
  15. boggs

boggs Multichannel Machiavellian

The instruments are used in different context and ways. All music has to do with people and people's experience, regardless of what country it comes from.

carlwm likes this.
  16. adam_777

adam_777 Forum Resident

In response to the thread title usually when I hear someone say

"I love Florida Georgia Line"

melstapler and sons of nothing like this.
  17. Glass Candy

Glass Candy Forum Resident

And apparently on this board as well.

keef00 and JoeRockhead like this.
  18. sons of nothing

sons of nothing Forum Resident

Wings? Most people here would say Kirstie Alley was not in the band...

But I hear you. Most people cannot explain genres in music, but they know they like it. That's how the thunder rolls.

boggs likes this.
  19. Gdgray

Gdgray Forum Resident

I direct those people here.
    Anthology of American Folk Music by Harry Smith

IMO it starts here. America Roots music...... covers black/white... blues , folk , country , Appalachian songs and songs that are derivative of music with roots in Africa, British Isles , France etc.

Many 60’s artist covered these songs , practically the whole Folk movement including Dylan, Airplane , Grateful Dead to name a few.

It’s all music.
    Peace

SG47 and Veni Vidi Vici like this.
  20. Evethingandnothing

Evethingandnothing Forum Resident

Indeed, I may go so far as to say that pretty much all music not done by royal or papal commission is folk music. And verily yea we thus subdivide it into categories, 'cos it suits us to do so.

Grower of Mushrooms likes this.
  21. guppy270

guppy270 Forum Resident

Try being a fan of modern bluegrass, LOL. The popular opinion is that it's music for "hicks" played by the kid from Deliverance.

22. Dillydipper

Dillydipper Space-Age luddite

This could evolve into a substantive conversation, but it appears to be mired in the OP's and participants' expectations, of how they believe others should think...without taking into account, how they themselves think. Like I used to say, "I think you left the irony plugged-in, Grandma".

A good topic, yet started because some hardcore fan didn't like a headline in a publication that wasn't even intentionally aimed at the hardcore fan.

23. rebellovw

rebellovw Forum Resident

Can't wait until this is available on 180gram vinyl

24. boggs

boggs Multichannel Machiavellian

.....'is PEOPLE music.' (Fixed that for you. :p;). )Agree we subdivide it into categories 'cos it suits us to do so.

25. Stone Turntable

Stone Turntable Independent Head

“Son, we live in a world with walls, and those walls have to guarded by men with a firm grasp of genre border policing.”

GerryO, Comet01 and Blank Frank like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.