Ever felt betrayed by a band or artist?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by davebush, Apr 25, 2021.

1. davebush

davebush New Test Leper Thread Starter

For instance, I remember actually feeling betrayed by The Clash after hearing "London Calling" for the first time. For me, it wasn't punk enough.

Also, Sting's transition to his jazz-tinged solo career bothered me.

Another - Future Sound of London going proggy with "The Isness"

2. Kris-AOTY

Kris-AOTY Guard the Spark

While I’m not a huge fan, I never could make sense of Gwen Stefani’s move from fronting Rocksteady-era No Doubt to her dopey pop solo work. Yeah, she was always making pop music, but it felt like she was really leaning into the worst aspects of her previous work and leaving behind the good bits entirely.

3. Kevin j

Kevin j The 5th 99

artists don't owe you anything.

except david crosby. he owes me a liver.

4. RobNeil

RobNeil Forum Resident

Morrissey.

5. Old Fred

Old Fred Forum Resident

As a huge Jethro Tull fan, I was disappointed when Ian Anderson fired Martin Barre and Doan Perry in 2011.

The reason? He didn't want to play Tull music anymore.

10 years later...he's playing Tull music.

6. K.K.VanMalmsteen

K.K.VanMalmsteen These Go To Eleven

7. Jackstar74

Jackstar74 Forum Resident

So you felt "betrayed"?

BAAAAAHAHAHAHAHAHAA

8. Cryptical17

Cryptical17 Forum Resident

Back in ‘65 When Dylan went electric a lot of people felt betrayed.

9. O Don Piano

O Don Piano Senior Member

Totally agree with Kevin J: no artists are responsible for anyone other than themselves.
    Next!

10. MikeManaic61

MikeManaic61 Forum Resident

Ummm... No? I don't know these people personally so why would they?

11. Cookie!

Cookie! Forum Resident

I have not ever felt that way myself.

However, I know a big one that often comes up on this sort of topic is Genesis. Chicago too, I would think.

12. BDC

BDC Forum Resident

Is it the albums content, the press or what.....I have a black one and like it fine.

warewolf95 and daltieri like this.
  13. Glaeken

Glaeken Forum Resident

Disappointed? Yes. Betrayed? Never.

14. davebush

Yes, in the same sense as a baseball fan feeling betrayed when his team trades his favorite player. First world problem obviously, but we do get invested in things.

15. Jmetamatic

Jmetamatic This is the end of our oxygen supply.

Paradise Lost, a great Death/ Doom metal band, went from being the most influential Metal band in Europe, to producing "Host". An album that tries out Mode, Depeche Mode.
    Never forgave them for that.

16. Kevin j

Kevin j The 5th 99

never forget the word "fan" is short for "fanatic".

17. Kris-AOTY

Kris-AOTY Guard the Spark

Good response. Let’s not turn this thread into a boring semantic argument about the word “betrayed” and 6 paragraph long posts about the sanctity of artists and their agency to create whatever they want. We get it.

We’re just talking about feeling very disappointed by an artist we like, here.

18. guestuser

guestuser Chillin

Fitz & the Tantrums. I fell in love with their first album, Pickin' Up the Pieces, and was super excited to hear more of that raw, soulful sound. However, when their 2nd album, More Than Just a Dream, came out, it took an unexpected pop turn with an overproduced sound and song lyrics best described as vapid. I still occasionally listen to their first album but not with that same hopeful enthusiasm as I had before their 2nd album came out.

Other one is a local Seattle band, Hot Bodies in Motion. Amazing live shows, a couple great albums and EPs, but then the lead guitarist quit and the rest of the group disbanded. I never heard the backstory about the real reason but they are sorely missed.

19. The Clash

The Jam

Husker Du

Replacements

John Porcellino and stoneknuckle like this.
  20. thnkgreen

thnkgreen Sprezzatura!

Dave Grohl going from Nirvana drum beast to.... ‘strictly commercial’ Dave Grohl, with guest spots on the albums of other edgier artists.

U2 after Zooropa/Passengers

Springsteen or any artist that cozies up to a politician. I’ve always viewed rock music - ‘real’ rock music - as the voice of rebellion from authority, not befriending authority. Imagine Cobain hanging out with Obama or Trump or anyone else in D.C. I can’t.

21. nyarlathotep

nyarlathotep Mr. Somewhere

I remember feeling betrayed when Sonic Youth signed with Geffen Records.
    Now I couldn't care less tbh.

22. davebush

Yes. I remember a time when I had difficulty respecting a band if they moved from an indie to major label. Seems completely silly to me now.

23. BDC

BDC Forum Resident

Post Ronnie Skynyrd.........

24. JakeKlas

JakeKlas Impatiently waiting for an 8-track revival

I knew some kids in school in the 70s who were 100% into Kiss. Part of their self-value came from associating with the Kiss Army. Our paths separated by the time Kiss was doing Dynasty, Unmasked, and ...Elder, but I wouldn’t be surprised if there was some sense of betrayal, especially if it led to mocking by other kids as I recall it was important which bands you aligned yourself to in my school days.

Personally, no. Annoyed – or as someone else already said, disappointed – yes. Never betrayed, though. Perhaps I might have if I had put all of my soul into only one or two bands, but I liked a lot of stuff so it was easy to focus elsewhere when I hit those annoying/disappointing releases.

25. Michael

Michael I LOVE WIDE S-T-E-R-E-O!

NO, if I don't like the next album I'll skip it...it's their choice not mine in the direction they go ...I can always jump off the bus....