Ever felt betrayed by a band or artist?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by davebush, Apr 25, 2021.

1. seastman

seastman Forum Resident

I feel more betrayed by the fact that the band who wrote “Paint a Vulgar Picture” has put out over twice as many compilation albums as they have actual albums.

2. PianoMangler

PianoMangler Forum Resident

When musicians felt the Funk but wanted to have that good feeling of money in the bank:

Kool & The Gang
    The Commodores
    Earth, Wind & Fire

DTK likes this.
  3. RhodyDave125

RhodyDave125 Streetwalkin' Cheetah

Interesting discussion. I didn't realize that Strauss and Karajan were 'willing' participants. I'd heard that Karajan may have been sympathetic to some degree, but admit I don't know more than the very broad outline of it.

I look at the idea of selling out - from the disgruntled fan's perspective - as what many people claimed was a betrayal when Dylan went 'electric'.

4. Moshe

Moshe "Silent in four languages."

"Ever felt betrayed by a band or artist?"

Sort of..

5. timind

timind phorum rezident

Only had to read 13 posts to find my exact thought.:righton:

And my list would be long.

joy stinson likes this.
  6. Luftveraenderung

Luftveraenderung Nur ich & ich & ich & Tinitus.

Coldplay selling out after ‘Clocks’.

Stereophonics when they went electric again with Language. Sex. Violence. Other.

Last edited: May 5, 2021
  7. ostrichfarm

ostrichfarm Forum Resident

Yeah, I kind of skirted the question of Karajan's actual beliefs, since one can't know those, but he certainly seems to have learned to talk out of both sides of his mouth (so to speak). A lot of old-guard musicians I've known were sickened by the way Furtwängler -- a genuine opponent of the Nazis, who made the error of trying to do what good he could by working within the system -- was raked over the coals while Karajan got off easily.
    Oh, totally. My only point of disagreement, really, is that it's only a phenomenon that exists from the disgruntled fan's perspective. From the artist's perspective, a whole lot of them have come to see that they betrayed their own principles or artistic vision for money -- and while that's not always something they can be held accountable to )since not all of them write manifestos that put it in black-and-white), the regret and self-loathing makes it clear something happened to make them feel sickened by their own actions.

RhodyDave125 likes this.
  8. PhilBorder

PhilBorder Senior Member

Betrayed? Unsure when disappointment becomes actual betrayal, as that's a fairly serious offense. In that light, I've never felt 'betrayed', though high on the list of disappointments would be:

Stones unwilling or unable to produce much new music in the last 20 years. They don't even wheel Keith out any more to pretend 'they've never played better..."

Donald Fagen unwilling or unable to revisit some Steely Dan outtakes, polish them up and release an album such as it is. Some of their best songs remain vaulted. IDK, maybe he and Becker had an agreement not to do that.

Van Morrison writing, with a few exceptions, mostly the same song in the last 20 years.

IHeart radio's abuse of their allotted frequency on the public broadcast spectrum. Really, some of those terrestrial stations have gotten licenses (automatically it seems) renewed for going on 80 years It would be very interesting to see a statue of limitations on some of those behemoths... actually, that IS betrayal.

joy stinson and Bryan Harris like this.
  9. Spastica

Spastica Run aground on the floor for you....

I don't understand why these types don't release their vaults during this last chapter of their lives. They would have some control over how it comes out.

When artists such as Fagen, Axl Rose, etc. die, their estates will milk these vaults til it's bone dry.

If you don't want your material released....burn it.... because it's coming out one way or another.

Yeah... bummer about the Stones. I remember how excited I was when I heard Doom and Gloom. They're back to kick ass and chew gum but they're all out of gum.

Hard to believe we're going on nine years since its release.

bluesky and joy stinson like this.
  10. bob60

bob60 Forum Resident

Most of the population of Liverpool were offended when on 18th December Paul McCartney appeared on the front page of hated tabloid rag The Sun. It was a desperate attempt to secure his first no 1 album in 30 years, thinly disguised as encouraging people to get the Covid vaccine jab.
    no 1 album achieved, artistic integrity now zero...

Last edited: May 6, 2021
    DTK, Herman Schultz and BornToBoogie like this.
  11. joy stinson

joy stinson Secret friend

Just listen to LIB naked...you’ll be ok. Eighties movie verswas meant to be Kenny G version because done in mid eighties.

12. Cachiva

Cachiva Forum Resident

Dear George,

How could you do it? How could you send this to radio:

[​IMG]

And then send this to record stores?

[​IMG]

I never thought one of my idols would betray me like that. I hope it was worth it to you.

Sincerely,

Teenage Cachiva

13. Another Steve

Another Steve Senior Member

Went to a Santana concert in Macon, Ga. back in the early '70s. They only played their instrumentals. People were screaming things like "Play 'Black Magic Woman', play 'Evil Ways' damn it!" Wasted my $6 on a ticket. Held it against them for years. Finally relented years later and bought

[​IMG]

14. DTK

DTK Forum Resident

Universal takes care of that for you, without asking.

15. zen

zen Senior Member

Quoting Bruce ..."I took a wrong turn and I just kept going."

Invisible Man likes this.
  16. Invisible Man

Invisible Man Forum Resident

The proper response to some random person with an odd sense of entitlement feeling "betrayed" by your musical decisions:
    [​IMG]

bluesky, Dudley Morris, Zerox and 4 others like this.
  17. joy stinson

Though I really didn’t like that album much at all, I saw it more as an era of George spinning his wheels and getting into a down time than a betrayal.

18. He lives in California? Lol.

19. I’ve never felt an artist betrayed me. It’s their career. I can choose not to buy an of their ‘product’.

joy stinson likes this.
  20. joy stinson

Yes, I read about that. However, I think he was honestly encouraging folks to get vaccinated but I know the back story of how hated that paper is in Liverpool. However, if he saved even one unknown person’s life by doing that, he did a good thing and I think in some charts the album briefly got number one anyway so I doubt that’s why he did it. At various times throughout his long career he’s been accused by various folks of betraying ….rock music, the Beatles, toured with American Express card sign up sponsorship, etc, anyway.

21. joepepitone

joepepitone Forum Resident

My first Tull betrayal was after buying TOTRNRTYTD, the day it was released, and discovering that Jeffrey Hammond was no longer in the band. The fact that there were a couple of songs on the release that took awhile to get into, didn't help matters.

Keith V likes this.
  22. joy stinson

The best response and absolutely the best gif, lol.

bluesky and Invisible Man like this.
  23. Wild Horse

Wild Horse Forum Resident

I let my high school girlfriend travel with Led Zeppelin on their private jet for one of their tours, and they made a pass at her. :realmad:

joy stinson likes this.
  24. Invisible Man

Invisible Man Forum Resident

Add it to the list of reasons Bob Dylan is such an amazing guy.

joy stinson likes this.
  25. bRETT

bRETT Senior Member

I prefer these bands earlier, funkier stuff too. But it's hard to deny that their hits were some of R&B's classic moments.-- at least in EWF's case anyway.