Ever walked out of a movie?

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by Strat-Mangler, May 3, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. The Panda

The Panda Forum Mutant

During filming, Chevy Chase was demeaning or verbally abrasive to members of the cast and crew, telling Demi Moore that her costume was too revealing and yelled at Aykroyd, saying that he had more worth than Aykroyd because Chase's paycheck was higher than Aykroyd's, despite him being the director.

The Chicago Tribune critic Dave Kehr wrote that "Valkenvania bids fair to become one of the legendary disasters of the movie business, a movie so unfunny, so distasteful and so painful to watch that you can't take your eyes off it."[19] Jay Boyar, writing for the Orlando Sentinel wrote, "the problem is that the neophyte director appears to believe that being gross, in itself, is enough. Even John Waters, in his Pink Flamingos period, realized that wit was also necessary. Besides, Waters was genuinely outrageous in a startlingly original way. The grotesquerie of Aykroyd's film reminded me of a disturbed child trying to gross out a friend on the playground."[9] Candice Russel, writing for the Sun-Sentinel, wrote that "this mean-spirited effort by Aykroyd proves that he cannot write an effective comedy. If he's acting, he should leave the direction to someone else."[7] Washington Post writer Hal Hinson called the film "nothing but trouble and agony and pain and suffering and obnoxious, toxically unfunny bad taste. It's nothing but miserable."
    :laughup:

2. SandAndGlass

SandAndGlass Twilight Forum Resident

Sorry... My Bad! I meant to say Tim Allen.

GodShifter likes this.
  3. SandAndGlass

Chase's whole shtick goes back to him on SNL (Saturday Night Live), he mugs the camera, but he does it better than anyone else.

4. SandAndGlass

Alien 3 was surprisingly awful, given how good Alien and Aliens were.

I didn't have a problem with Alien Resurrection, but anything would be better than Alien 3.

But then Prometheus came out and the franchise took another nose dive.

I didn't bother with Alien: Covenant.

I thought that Aliens was by far, the best of the franchise.

nosliw and Rufus McDufus like this.
  5. SandAndGlass

Howard the Duck was funny, different kind of humor, that's all.

6. GodShifter

GodShifter Forum Member

I’m the king of typos. I certainly sympathize. @SandAndGlass too

SandAndGlass and Strat-Mangler like this.
  7. EricSwan

EricSwan Forum Resident

The Bodyguard (threw popcorn at the screen before walking out)

Jaws 3 (I was rooting for the shark)

Steve Litos likes this.
  8. Strat-Mangler

Strat-Mangler Personal Survival Daily Record-Breaker Thread Starter

Each directed by a different person. In this case, it was David Fincher's first movie. Why would a major studio rest a huge franchise on a 27-year old first-timer? No idea. He also only had 5 weeks to prepare and the script wasn't completed.. and had continual rewrites. Also, casting wasn't even complete. Then, the studio took it away from him, denied him access to the movie, ordered reshoots, and recut the whole thing their way, making huge editing changes to the story, pacing, etc. Took the studios a *year* to edit it!

He was given crazy deadlines to meet and the studio kept interfering in one way or another. $7 million were spent on sets which were never used due to the constant rewrites. The studio then put major brakes on the budget, cutting Fincher at his knees from the get-go. At some point, Fincher dared the head of Fox to fire him. And nothing had yet been shot! They had to switch DPs 2 weeks in because he started to suffer from the symptoms of Parkinsons.

It was so bad, he was quoted as saying he'd rather get colon cancer than direct another movie. Thankfully, the scriptwriter for Se7en knew of all this and felt bad for Fincher. He liked his style and liked him personally so he offered him the chance to direct this movie.

SandAndGlass likes this.
  9. SandAndGlass

It is very interesting to hear this. Never heard the back story.

I was so optimistic, going in to Alien 3, but WOW! The movie started bad and just got worse as it progressed. It was so much nothing like the first two.

10. Strat-Mangler

The 2nd one was completely different from the first in every way, as well.

SandAndGlass likes this.
  11. Deuce66

Deuce66 Senior Member

I remember walking out of a Superman sequel, one of the JAWS sequels, Last Action Hero and I'm not sure if got thru the first Matrix sequel or not.

SandAndGlass likes this.
  12. modrevolve

modrevolve Forum Resident

My brother forced us to walk out of High Fidelity because Jack Black (who we were both unfamiliar with) annoyed the **** out of him. Its now become one of my favorite movies.

My mom hated Who Framed Roger Rabbit and left me in the theater part way through while she went to watch Big across the hall.

Those are two that come to mind.

EdgardV and SandAndGlass like this.
  13. SandAndGlass

I like that the took the foundation of the first movie and ran with it from the beginning right through the end of the 2nd movie.

14. 93curr

93curr Senior Member

It just appears to have been written, directed and, quite possibly, acted, by people who had never bothered to read the comic book. And who thought that soulful Thomas Dolby ballads were the epitome of punk.

R. Totale likes this.
  15. Rhett

Rhett Forum Resident

Pulp Fiction

It went a little too far for me.

SomeCallMeTim likes this.
  16. SandAndGlass

Quite possibly. I did not even know there was a comic book.

The first time I saw the movie, I thought that it was just plain bad.

I went back and watched it some time later and I looked it with a different POV.

I don't remember the music though.

17. joepepitone

joepepitone Forum Resident

We walked out of Roma a few months ago. Shortly after, it starting winning all sorts of awards. We are still scratching our heads over that one.

18. Strat-Mangler

Had the same feeling about one of the worst and most confusing movies ever with that long title I can never remember... 3 billboards in Missouri or something similar.

I could go on for paragraphs about how bad it was and how it didn't know what kind of movie it wanted to be.

19. johnsiddique

johnsiddique Forum Resident

Yep:
    Lord of The Rings - Fellowship of the Ring (LOTR books are beloved to me and decided I wanted to keep my own images & ideas of the characters)
    ET - The Extra-Terrestrial (just felt my life passing by)
    Star Wars - The Last Jedi (Not a big SW fan, but had seen all the movies to this point, IMO they're okay, but I left after 15 mins, seemed insane to me)

Oh and the third Matrix movie - no idea what the name was/is... I think I made this sound 'Eh?'
    then we left. Sat through the second one, don't know what I was thinking trying the third...

20. Kristofa

Kristofa Enthusiast of small convenient sound carrier units

WoW.. I didn’t know this even existed.

21. t3chnobrat

t3chnobrat Forum Resident

I've never seen a full LOTR movie. I fall asleep.. once was in a theatre. I think it was the 2nd one.

22. FredV

FredV Senior Member

I wish I had walked out of ‘The Doors’. Stone’s direction was like experiencing a very big and horrible acid trip. My date and I stuck it out to the end and we were both physically sick afterwards. :hurl:The movie actually turned me off to The Doors and their music.

I still think they were talented musicians, but Jim Morrison was definitely one of the biggest jerks to ever become a Rock Star. Nowadays if I hear a Doors song on the radio I’ll give it a listen, but I don’t go out of my way to collect any of their recordings.

I know The Doors have a lot of fans who enjoy their music, but this is just my opinion. Don’t cane me, please! :hide:

johnsiddique and SandAndGlass like this.
  23. johnsiddique

It ruined The Doors for my wife and I too.. she still listens to bit, but that movie did me in too. Music biog films are so dangerous, as a Queen fan from early on, was pretty worried about Bohemian Rhapsody. I didn't like it much, certainly doesn't match what I know of Freddie Mercury and Queen having grown up with them and read in between every line as a teenager, but doesn't seem to have hurt things much, except I guess a lot of people will now think that is the story of Freddie Mercury.

Not been able to find my way back to The Doors since Stone's film. anyone offer any cures and ways back???

24. SandAndGlass

As FredV said,

That Morrison was a jerk and total s**, was never much of a secret, but after seeing the movie, I don't think it is a pit that you can climb back out of.

johnsiddique likes this.
  25. johnsiddique

Have tried to listen again often enough but as you say there’s no way out of that pit, you’re right

SandAndGlass likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.