Ever walked out of a movie?

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by Strat-Mangler, May 3, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Oatsdad

Oatsdad Oat, Biscuits, Abbie & Mitzi: Best Dogs Ever

That's more about Oscar snobbery than a lack of consensus related to comedies.

Oscars like to reward Big Important Dramas.

Basically all genres beyond dramas are horribly underrepresented by the Oscars, not just comedies!

SandAndGlass likes this.
  2. Solitaire1

Solitaire1 Carpenters Fan

Ah...Slim Whitman. He was our high school's unofficial mascot along with Rula Lenska. An artist who outsold The Beatles, Elvis, and The Rolling Stones together (because The Beatles, Elvis, and The Rolling Stones never recorded together*).

*A joke I heard along time ago.

3. Rachael Bee

Rachael Bee Miembra muy loca

I remember there were lots of jokes about slim, many involving amateur yodeling, yet I can't recall a single one. I'm glad you can! :wiggle:

4. SandAndGlass

SandAndGlass Twilight Forum Resident

With emphasis on those who are in alignment with the Hollywood mindset.

Many of which are actually less important dramas, which are quickly forgotten.

5. Michael

Michael I LOVE WIDE S-T-E-R-E-O!

I forgot one" Jurassic Park! the print was so dark we couldn't see the Dino's! got a refund.

SandAndGlass likes this.
  6. Michael

Michael I LOVE WIDE S-T-E-R-E-O!

how can we ever forget Slim saving the WORLD from the Martians in the movie Mars Attacks...that terrible movie. ah ha ha

7. Solitaire1

I agree. I have disregarded the Oscars since the early 1990s due to their changing the rules because of the possibility of an animated movie (Beauty & The Beast) *shudder* taking the Oscar for Best Movie. To me, if the movie is the best movie of that year then it should win an Oscar for Best Picture regardless of the type of movie. If the best movie in that year happens to be animated/science fiction/horror/comedy/anime so be it.

Strat-Mangler and SandAndGlass like this.
  8. Oatsdad

By "changing the rules", do you mean adding the Best Animated Feature category?

I don't think they did that to prevent an animated movie from winning BP - I think they did it because they knew it was unlikely an animated movie would win BP and they felt pressure to acknowledge the form.

Note that even after they instituted the Best Animated Feature award in 2002, some animated movies have still been nominated for BP.

The existence of Best Animated Feature doesn't prevent animated films from BP consideration, the same as the way Best International Feature doesn't keep those movies from BP eligibility...

9. Bingo Bongo

Bingo Bongo Music gives me Eargasms

I've walked out of every movie I've ever been to. Some of them had good endings, and some didn't !

10. I've never walked out of a theater and I can't imagine any reason why I ever would. If I pay $12 for a ticket, I'm staying lol.

Rachael Bee and gitters like this.
  11. Solitaire1

In my opinion, it seems to be a case of "since we now have an award for Best Animated Feature it lessen the pressure to make an animated Best Picture even if it is the best picture since we can just give it that other award."

Rachael Bee likes this.
  12. Rachael Bee

Rachael Bee Miembra muy loca

I suspect that's the exact reason they created the category. :agree:

13. Oatsdad

But the Academy nominated at least 2 animated flicks for BP after the Best Animated Feature award came into existence!

So they've not totally shoved animated flicks away from BP.

No, none have won, but neither had a non-English film until last year! :)

14. Oatsdad

I think it was more because there was so much outcry that feature animation got so little recognition.

Outside of music-related categories, animated features got little love pre-Best Animated Feature.

Even other often-ignored movies in the action or comedy or sci-fi categories could gain attention via actors or effects or costumes, but pre-BAF, those movies were left in the cold.

People started to take animated features more seriously over the last 30 years, and eventually the Academy realized they needed to acknowledge that...

SandAndGlass likes this.
  15. pdenny

pdenny 22-Year SHTV Participation Trophy Recipient

I still get a kick out of it. 25 years later, I will pop an "ack ack ack ack ACK!" into a conversation every now and then...depending on the audience of course.

Here's are some interesting tidbits: 15 Things You Didn't Know About Mars Attacks!

16. mrstats

mrstats Senior Member

Absolutely!

Jrr and SandAndGlass like this.
  17. SandAndGlass

SandAndGlass Twilight Forum Resident

I think that things are scarier in black in white...

18. alexpop

alexpop Power pop + other bad habits....

From Hell
    Watched this the other night, strong stuff.. gory. Johnny Depp’s cockney accent was amusing. Regarding who was “Jack the Ripper” sources still seem to indicate royalty were the culprits
    Michael Cain did a good TV movie of the Ripper‘s identity.

Nakamichi likes this.
  19. Gary S

Gary S Well-Known Member

Walked out of Once Around with Danny Aiello & Cannonball Run II.
    Also walked out of The Goodbye Girl when I was 15.

hi_watt and SandAndGlass like this.
  20. Solitaire1

I think that part of the reason animation has gotten more respect is due to the influx of anime. One difference between animation in the U. S. and anime in Japan is that in Japan they do in animation what is done in live action in the U. S. That is a reason that a movie like The Matrix didn't interest me that much, because my feeling after seeing it was "Didn't already I see this a few years ago?"

21. Nakamichi

Nakamichi The iceage is coming....

3 Billboards is a great film. Give it another chance.

Chrome_Head likes this.
  22. Nakamichi

Good film. Definitely watch it all the way through. Sandlers best after Happy Gilmore !

23. Nakamichi

Highly regarded by the critics though.

24. Nakamichi

It is rubbish. No idea why it was so popular.

hi_watt and Django like this.
  25. Strat-Mangler

Strat-Mangler Personal Survival Daily Record-Breaker Thread Starter

Trust me; I watched it and I think it's pure excrement. Nothing made any sense at all from the caricatured characters to how they act with no consistency. I can't verbalize how crappy that thing is. Wasted time I'll never get back. A shameful piece of filmmaking, IMHO.

For something far superior in every conceivable way, watch the TV series "The Killing".

nifticus likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.