EVERY Billboard #1 hit discussion thread 1958-Present

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by alphanguy, Jan 29, 2016.

1. Yam Graham

Yam Graham Senior Member

Fun fact for you all.
    Dexy's singer Kevin Rowland used to pop into a pub I'd started frequenting....this would be late '80, early '81.
    My sister in-law worked at the Job Center and said he was still claiming unemployment benefits when Geno got to No1 in the spring of 1980.
    He is a rare 'un.

2. Hey Vinyl Man

Hey Vinyl Man Forum Resident

"Come On Eileen" was a favorite at the weekend parties at my college (early '90s). I somehow never heard it that I can recall before then. I like it a lot, but hearing it still makes me smell cheap beer everywhere.

3. Lance LaSalle

Lance LaSalle Prince of Swollen Sinus

In sixth grade a running joke related to this song went "What's grosser than sweat on Pat Benatar?"

12 year old humor.

4. jimmydean

jimmydean Forum Resident

they made four brilliant albums... the first three and the comeback "one day i'm going to soar"... no sign of a burnout

5. bare trees

bare trees Forum Resident

You weren't that far off. "Come One Eileen" was released in June, 1982 and had charted in other markets such as Europe and Canada several months earlier. (It hit Canadian radio around October or November, 1982). That might explain why the production might have sounded a little out of step by the time "Come One Eileen" broke in the U.S.

sunspot42 likes this.
  6. pablo fanques

pablo fanques Somebody's Bad Handwroter

The version in my school was “What’s worse than grease on Olivia?” but yeah. Great minds and all

MikeInFla and sunspot42 like this.
  7. The Slug Man

The Slug Man Forum Resident

"Come On Eileen"

I don't remember this one at all when it was popular. Of all the songs leaking out of the UK and onto MTV/radio as part of this "Second British Wave," I can't believe this is one of the few to hit #1 in America. I guess it was quirky enough to stand out big time. Also unusual is that for a pop song, it seems like two separate songs in one: the fast part and then the slower part in the second half. Most 3 minute pop songs tend to be one or the other.

8. Bruce M.

Bruce M. Forum Resident

I have exactly zero memory of "Come On Eileen." If I ever heard it, it didn't stick in my memory at all.

9. AppleBonker

AppleBonker Forum Resident

I almost started my previous post about the song with the observation that it was the first number one that was the punchline for a dirty joke. :) (were there any others before this?)

sunspot42 likes this.
  10. AppleBonker

AppleBonker Forum Resident

Eric Weissberg has died. He was 80. I recall we talked a bit about him back when we were discussing the Mamas and the Papas on this thread several years ago; Weissberg had been in the Journeymen with John Phillips and Scott McKenzie before Phillips founded the M + Ps.

Weissberg was a pre-eminent banjo player whose biggest musical cultural footprint was probably 'Dueling Banjos' from Deliverance, which nearly topped the charts back in 1972 I think.

sunspot42 likes this.
  11. Grant

Grant Fight The Power

You didn't hear the radio or watch music videos? It was everywhere.

cleandan and sunspot42 like this.
  12. Jmac1979

Jmac1979 Forum Resident

Funny thing is that "Come On Eileen" passed me by until the mid-90s or so when 80s nostalgia started kicking in. My older siblings didn't listen to it and unlike some stuff from 1983 (Duran, Eurythmics, Bowie, etc...), this didn't seem to stay around on MTV's playlist the way I still saw some of those other videos on the channel 4-5 years later when I was a bit more cognitive.

For the longest time it seemed to be more of a Trivial Pursuit question for coming in between two massive MJ classics. Then in the mid/late 90s it seemed to be reappriased as a classic from the early 80s.

13. Jmac1979

Jmac1979 Forum Resident

on another note.... knowing who Dexy's Midnight Runners are had me be called "old" by a few friends a year or two ago at dinner. My husband is 8 years my junior (32) and we went to dinner with a married couple we're friends with (34 and 29 years old). "Come On Eileen" came on the muzak at the restaraunt and the 29 year old said something like "I like this song, who does it?" and me, the encyclopedia of 80s and 90s music immediately chimed in with "Dexy's Midnight Runners" which led to an open season on me being old for actually knowing the name of this band LOL.

ARK, Grant and Geee! like this.
  14. Albuman

Albuman Album of the Year expert

Ah, Come On Eileen - the British Born to Run.

Grant and sunspot42 like this.
  15. Bruce M.

Bruce M. Forum Resident

That's the thing -- I did listen to the radio a lot. I had a longish commute to work and always had the radio on. So if I heard this tune, it made zero impression, positive or negative.

16. W.B.

W.B. The Collector's Collector

To which I can attest.

Grant and sunspot42 like this.
  17. Wild Horse

Wild Horse Forum Resident

Come On Eileen

Why did they dress like hobos?

Geee! likes this.
  18. sunspot42

sunspot42 Forum Resident

Wanna feel old? "Come On Eileen" reached number one closer to the end of WWII than to today.

ippudo, SITKOL'76, John54 and 4 others like this.
  19. Grant

Grant Fight The Power

I think it has something to do with Irish culture.

20. Grant

Grant Fight The Power

Don't talk about The Lovin' Spoonful!:eek: They'd probably ignore you for the rest of the evening as if you were brought in from the nursing home.

sunspot42 likes this.
  21. tommy-thewho

tommy-thewho Forum Resident

Love Come on Eileen..

sunspot42 likes this.
  22. bare trees

bare trees Forum Resident

That's completely understandable. "Come On Eileen" disappeared into the ether pretty quickly following its chart run. I don't believe it got much, if any, recurrent airplay after 1983.

23. Jmac1979

Jmac1979 Forum Resident

It gets airplay nowadays and I've heard it quite a bit over the last 25 years but I dont remember it at all later in the 80s or early 90s whereas even in 1987 they still were playing Sweet Dreams, Hungry Like The Wolf, Let's Dance and some other big hits from 1983. It seemed to blip off the radar then reemerged once the nostalgia began to kick in for this era and has remained an evergreen since

ARK, sunspot42 and Lance LaSalle like this.
  24. Grant

Grant Fight The Power

It probably disappeared more after its chart run because there was so much competition that year. So much music was released in 1983.

sunspot42 likes this.
  25. It was everywhere...and so was the scruffy little dude in huge overalls look...for a while.
    Come on Eileen, at least for me, is a tolerable song. It has a certain sing along quality that people like, the tune is simple and easy, yet I never really cared for it much. I did not dislkie the song, it just never struck a chord with me. Regardless of my take on the song, you can't deny it was very popular for a while.