EVERY Billboard #1 hit discussion thread 1958-Present

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by alphanguy, Jan 29, 2016.

1. Grant

Grant Life is a rock, but the radio rolled me!

Well, I do like "Take It Away"...

2. AppleBonker

AppleBonker Forum Resident

I liked Big Log and Sea of Love, weirdly more than I liked most of what Led Zeppelin produced.

sunspot42 and Lance LaSalle like this.
  3. AppleBonker

Natalie Cole didn't do too badly. Johnny Cash's daughter, too. Are there any others, though? Do you have to be a different gender than your famous parent to succeed?

pablo fanques likes this.
  4. Grant

I also liked Blame It On Rio. There was a brief upper-nudie shot of Michelle Johnson.:drool:

AppleBonker likes this.
  5. Grant

Yup. In 1982 when they signed with Full Moon Records, they couldn't exactly go back the sound that put them on the map. And, when they split with Peter Cetera later in the 80s they got worse.

But, you're wrong in one way: Co-lead singer, keybordist, and songwriter Robert Lamm is a founding member and still with Chicago.

ARK and pablo fanques like this.
  6. Grant

He also sang lean on their first big hit "Beginnings".

ARK and pablo fanques like this.
  7. AppleBonker

Was she ever in anything else? This was a staple on HBO in the mid-eighties. She was a beauty to be sure.

Also interesting that Demi Moore, who plays Michael Caine's daughter and has a topless scene, does not appear at all in the trailer. She would not longer after become a big star.

8. W.B.

W.B. The Collector's Collector

He did. And also on "Does Anybody Really Know What Time It Is." Couldn't confuse his singing style with Terry Kath's, let alone Peter Cetera's.

ARK likes this.
  9. Grant

Another teen movie came out in 1984 and was filmed in my neck of the woods: Revenge Of The Nerds. Though it had no soundtrack hits, it is also a movie that couldn't be made today.

Last edited: Aug 3, 2020
  10. Jmac1979

Jmac1979 Forum Resident

True. Natalie and Rosanne are two exceptions

AppleBonker and pablo fanques like this.
  11. Grant

I always forget about the "Guilty" album. That's the one Streisand album straight guys will admit to liking and owning.

12. Grant

They both appeared topless in the film. But, there is some stuff about that I won't mention here on the forum.

13. Oatsdad

Oatsdad Oat, Biscuits, Abbie & Mitzi: Best Dogs Ever

DC suburbs isn't really "the South"! :shh:

14. Grant

I did.

15. Grant

Not according to my sister who lived there for two years. And, i've also seen suburban D.C. referred to as the de facto south.

pablo fanques and sunspot42 like this.
  16. Grant

He also sang lead on "Harry Truman", which was a top 40 single in 1975.

17. pablo fanques

pablo fanques Somebody's Bad Handwroter In Memoriam

Alright you got me. Off by a year :hide:

18. pablo fanques

pablo fanques Somebody's Bad Handwroter In Memoriam

Yeah I knew about that but it has seemed to disappear down the op’ rabbit hole. I had the year wrong on ‘Saturday’

Hey Vinyl Man and Grant like this.
  19. Oatsdad

No offense to your sister... but DC suburbs ain't "the South". I've lived here my whole life, so I kinda sorta think I know the area...

20. Grant

She related some of the same experiences she had when she lived in Texas. Perhaps you don't see/feel the same things because you are of a lighter hue?

pablo fanques and sunspot42 like this.
  21. Oatsdad

Perhaps... and it's also possible a) she was here long enough ago that the area was more "South" back then, and b) she was in areas farther out than Alexandria, Arlington, and Fairfax, the main "DC suburbs" in VA.

The inner VA suburbs are very liberal and not at all like "the South". Ya gotta go out to Manassas and farther south to get a taste of "the South" around here.

BTW, if your sister's thoughts that DC suburbs = "the South" come from racial incidents, don't forget that Southerners don't have a monopoly on racism! Ask Blacks who live in the Boston area! :help:

22. SITKOL'76

SITKOL'76 Forum Resident

This thread took a VERY gay turn, and I missed it of course :yikes:

Moral of the story, like what you like and f*** what anybody else has to say.

23. W.B.

W.B. The Collector's Collector

I think that's a sign that we're ready to examine the next Number One a-comin' up . . . :sigh: :rolleyes:

The Slug Man and Grant like this.
  24. Grant

Yes, it was in the early 90s. Both she and my brother-in-law couldn't wait to get back here to the west. Unfortunately, she is no longer around to ask exactly what neighborhood/town it was. I just know it was upper-middle class.

Trust me! We know! It's everywhere. People talk about how great some "liberal" cities are. Not so. They are just as bad, if not worse. It's awful!

25. sunspot42

sunspot42 Forum Resident

I totally believe you guys, it's just not how I remember it, for whatever reason. Like I said, I wonder if Channel 61 got the "Too Late For Goodbyes" video and played it before "Valotte". I was probably getting exposed to new music more thru Channel 61 than thru the radio at this point. It's also possible Phoenix radio didn't really pick up "Valotte" - radio was still regional at the time - and by the time I heard it and it registered "Goodbyes" was already climbing the charts.

I will say, I would never have picked "Valotte" as the lead single off the record. "Goodbyes" sounds like a hit, "Valotte" doesn't, although I love them both. But then I was a huge Beatles freak and totally primed for this. I remember the first time I heard Julian being blown away by how much he sounded like his dad. Looks just like him, too.

Can totally see that reaction. I had something similar happen first time I heard Madonna's "Rain". It was late, I was driving home, tuned into it after that initial chorus in the middle of the first verse and thought it was some lost Karen Carpenter cut that had been remixed (this was around the time of the huge "Tom's Diner" remix). Wasn't until it got to the chorus I realized it was the new Madonna single. Didn't know she had a huge thing for Karen Carpenter. Good on Madge!

Oh I think you're right, it's just weird I don't remember it that way.

It is surprising that "Valotte" was almost as big a hit. Lovely song but I wouldn't have pegged it as a Top 10 number in 1984. Sometimes people surprise you for the better.