EVERY Billboard #1 hit discussion thread 1958-Present

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by alphanguy, Jan 29, 2016.

1. W.B.

W.B. The Collector's Collector

That's waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay off in the timeline from where we all are now . . .

SomeCallMeTim, 1983, Grant and 2 others like this.
  2. pablo fanques

pablo fanques Somebody's Bad Handwroter In Memoriam

There’s jumping ahead and then there’s taking the CONCORD haha. Good for her tho. Surprised it hasn’t happened yet

1983, Grant, sunspot42 and 3 others like this.
  3. Oatsdad

Oatsdad Oat, Biscuits, Abbie & Mitzi: Best Dogs Ever

I'm a Mellencamp fan but I thought he protested too much.

He worked too hard to be a successful pop singer to then whine that he never wanted to be a pop singer...

SomeCallMeTim and Grant like this.
  4. W.B.

That'd be Concorde, a.k.a. the SST, but . . . yeah. Gotta remember that line. :winkgrin:

pablo fanques and Steve Mc like this.
  5. R79

R79 Forum Resident

But by that point, we'll be too busy debating whether Miley Cyrus Jr deserves to be in the R&R HOF :D

6. Emperor of Mount Victoria

Emperor of Mount Victoria Forum Resident

I'll be outta here by the time Dua Lipa gets discussed with number one songs and such. Besides, Billboard completely mucked up its methodology around 2012 or so.

1983 and sunspot42 like this.
  7. W.B.

Fellas, fellas - we're still on 1987 here!! Focus! Focus! I know Bon Jovi ain't everyone's cup o' tea, but still . . .

8. Bruce M.

Bruce M. Forum Resident

I'd never seen the video before. It's like a Spinal Tap outtake.

9. SITKOL'76

SITKOL'76 Forum Resident

Lol, I didn't even name the song, I just wanted to post something current but elusive still. Plus it's not like we'll be getting to 2021 anytime soon, I mean Dua Lipa would be a veteran by then. :laugh:

10. sunspot42

sunspot42 Forum Resident

:biglaugh::biglaugh::biglaugh:

:agree:

11. rkt88

rkt88 The unknown soldier

funny that.

Oatsdad likes this.
  12. Grant

Grant Life is a rock, but the radio rolled me!

I didn't say the song wasn't iconic. But, it wasn't brilliant, and it's annoying as hell! If you can have your opinions about Bon Jovi, I can have my opinions about Del Shannon's "Runaway".

So there!:p

sunspot42 likes this.
  13. This thread we easily outlive all of us....we will never get to 2021.....
    I don't know about Rock Critics but some of us are way more judgemental.

Grant likes this.
  14. sunspot42

sunspot42 Forum Resident

This place has nothing on '70s rock critics.

Grant likes this.
  15. Grant

Maybe like a future alternative artist who whined about fame and fortune all the way o the bank...

sunspot42 likes this.
  16. Grant

Didn't she die in a plane crash?:D

Maybe you are just a kid in the late 80s, or wasn't born yet. Maybe that's why you're anxious to get to the eras you know.

17. AppleBonker

AppleBonker Forum Resident

Say wha???? That was such an odd concept that I just had to look it up.

Lookie here, she did cover Rain. No backwards singing at the end, though. :laugh:

Fun fact: the Japanese release of Rain contained the English lyrics on the record sleeve, including what the Japanese translator thought John was saying in the backwards part! His guess: 'stare it down and nourish what comes near you'.

Hey, that's actually a pretty cool lyric! :cool:

Last edited: May 18, 2021
    SomeCallMeTim and Hey Vinyl Man like this.
  18. AppleBonker

AppleBonker Forum Resident

Living on a Prayer

"Oh oh... Living on my hair...
    Take a comb, we'll style it I swear..."

A huge side benefit of being in the UK in early 1987 was getting to miss crap like this dominating the airwaves.

Around the time David Bowie died, I went to a birthday party at a karaoke bar for a guy I barely knew (a friend of a friend). He seemed to have a lot of sorority girl types there. During the evening, I did a version of Space Oddity dedicated to Mr. B, and a kick butt cover of Vehicle by the Ides of March that went over shockingly well with some of the ladies present. Meanwhile, the sorority gals kept selecting the same few songs over and over, all from the 80s: at least three versions of Love Shack; Sister Christian; and this song, Living on a Prayer. There's something very comforting about this song in that setting, because it requires absolutely no singing ability (or sobriety) whatsoever to shout out the chorus. Of course, Prayer reminded me of drunken karaoke way before I ever heard it done in that context.

I'm frankly startled to hear that Bon Jovi is considered by some as a kind of streetwise poet in the vein of Springsteen. Yeah, they are both from New Jersey. I guess the characters in his songs are working class, so there's that. But my goodness, JonBon is on absolute auto-pilot in most of his stuff that I've heard. Prayer is perhaps the very worst example, although the cowboy one is pretty hideous too. In Prayer, it sounds like he broke out the ol' rhyming dictionary, then ignored it and rhymed 'got' and 'lot'. Then later, he used 'got' again, cause I guess he couldn't find any more words that rhymed??? I mean, it's only one of the most rhymable words of all and he couldn't think of anything else? Off the top of me head:

It doesn't really matter if my record gets bought
    It doesn't really matter if the summer is hot
    It doesn't really matter if I marry a Scot.
    It doesn't really matter if this song has a plot.

Come on, JBJ, work at it a little more! :agree:

Course the joke's on me; thudding mediocrity gave him a cushy nest egg and even a brief movie career (remember that?). He knew his audience, and gave 'em what they wanted. As a result, he ended up living on considerably more than a prayer...

19. Honey Bunches of Sadness

Honey Bunches of Sadness Forum Resident

How about the guy who did it twice? Exemplar 1:

But late at night
    I'm takin' you home
    I say I wanna stay
    You say you wanna be alone
    You say you don't love me
    But you can't hide your desire
    When we kiss ....Ooh, fire

Exemplar 2:

Hey little girl is your daddy home
    Did he go away and leave you all alone, mmm mmm
    I got a bad desire
    Oh, ho ho, I'm on fire

Didn't even bother to switch up the order....

20. jimmydean

jimmydean Senior Member

so what do you think about "fire" and "wallow in the mire" ? okay, that's a different thread...

21. Fritha71

Fritha71 Forum Resident

Hey, thanks! Glad you find my perspective interesting. And as far as Bon Jovi goes, well, they need all the support they can get on this forum, lol, I'm happy to defend them :winkgrin:

22. Oatsdad

Oatsdad Oat, Biscuits, Abbie & Mitzi: Best Dogs Ever

Don't get ahead of the thread! :tsk: :D

23. W.B.

He was apparently going by the writers of Johnny Cash's "Ring Of Fire," thus:

Bound by wild desire
    I fell into a ring of fire

But even there . . .

I fell into a burning ring of fire
    I went down, down, down, and the flames went higher

So . . .

24. F-Stop Fitzgerald

F-Stop Fitzgerald Full Fathom Five

I do actually like that one and forgive the fire and desire, tho I prefer the Pointer Sisters version -- or just about any of Bruce's live versions on various bootlegs.

But with this one we also get one of Springsteen's own personal overused cliches: little girl. Glad he gave that one up. Eventually.

25. F-Stop Fitzgerald

F-Stop Fitzgerald Full Fathom Five

See, that's the one that always comes to mind for me. Morrison shows how to do it right. Fire, higher, mire, pyre. That's how yuh do it, folks. Sucks to your desire, Piggy, to paraphrase Lord of the Flies.

AppleBonker likes this.