EVERY Billboard #1 hit discussion thread 1958-Present

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by alphanguy, Jan 29, 2016.

1. torcan

torcan Forum Resident

Interestingly, Billboard still chose to "freeze" it charts at the end of 1991. They realized that the info was still coming in over the holidays with the new methodology, so this was the last year they did that. Starting at the end of 1992, they didn't publish an issue but still compiled the charts. They later became available on their (yet to be launched at this point in the timeline) website.

Around this time, it seemed that hitting No. 1 wasn't as important anymore. American Top 40 had started its decline and was harder to find on the radio. When you could find it, they weren't even using the Hot 100 anymore - it was the Top 40 Radio Monitor instead. This was because many rap and grunge songs started hitting high positions mostly based on sales. Since "hit radio" wasn't playing them, they were nervous about featuring so many songs on their countdowns that most listeners wouldn't be familiar with, so they made the change to more accurately reflect what radio was playing. On a related note, the weekly TV show America's Top 10 came to an end in early 1992.

During the '70s and '80s, these countdown shows were hugely popular and it seemed to matter what was at the top, By '91, it seemed as though nobody cared as much as they had before - except for chart enthusiasts (like me!)

Another factor - which we've discussed a bit on this thread - was that physical singles were becoming harder to find. The vinyl 45 was no longer king - many stores stopped carrying them - and the ones that did carry them couldn't even offer every hit on that format because the labels just weren't releasing them on every title anymore. The record companies started deleting hit songs before they even reached their peaks in many cases, so you couldn't even buy the single if you wanted to.

With radio formats becoming more "splintered", it all contributed to the charts being less relevant.

2. Dillydipper

Dillydipper Space-Age luddite

There is something to be said for the physical product not living up to years of collector mentality based on a 7" disc. Sometimes just the physicality of a thing not fitting in the same box as al the others, can throw the traditional collector and fan for a loop.

I wonder if the industry had a similar sort of come-to-Jesus moment back when the 45 started usurping the 78. I should probably see if Joel Whitburn wants to answer that one for me.

I know I had the same sort of conundrum when music started being considered more as a digital product than a plastic one. There are even albums I want this year, that I'll have to wait for until they decide to release CD's for (when they're only released to the marketplace as a download and an expensive LP, it's hard for me to see them as being serious about actually releasing their product to mainstream casual listeners).

Last edited: May 19, 2022
  3. sunspot42

sunspot42 Forum Resident

Dance music had gone from unwelcome to slathered all over the upper reaches of the charts. Quite the comeback.

Another example of the rising dance trend. Dance hadn't been this important since the collapse of disco, over a decade before.

4. sunspot42

sunspot42 Forum Resident

Decent, memorable tune. Agree, it captured the moment.

ARK likes this.
  5. sunspot42

sunspot42 Forum Resident

Several of those are better than most if not all of the year's #1s, especially "It Ain't Over..."

A crime.

AppleBonker and Lance LaSalle like this.
  6. sunspot42

sunspot42 Forum Resident

Such a fun song. Obvious sure, but hella fun. Also a real flashback to 1980 and the New Wave era - this always felt something like a lost Blondie tune to me.

Lance LaSalle likes this.
  7. sunspot42

sunspot42 Forum Resident

Yeah, the singles chart was becoming less and less important as radio fragmented, single sales collapsed, and MTV became more of a driving force (and even it fragmented into programming blocs). This continued a trend that had been accelerating since the middle of the '80s, but now it really seemed to be picking up steam.

I'd also argue that the sales figures were being pretty heavily gamed. But it's telling that America's Top 10 croaked in '92. Cable was exploding and there was increasing demand for product to air, but clearly nobody gave a crap about what was in the Top 10 anymore.

Dillydipper likes this.
  8. That's a great pop song. Doubt was a good album too.

ippudo and Lance LaSalle like this.
  9. AppleBonker

AppleBonker Forum Resident

Yes, this is the song more than almost any of the other ones that reminds me of that year. "The world waking up from history" I think he sings.

10. Grant

Grant Life is a rock, but the radio rolled me!

I don't remember it.

11. AppleBonker

AppleBonker Forum Resident

I can't really understand most of what he is saying, but it sounds like the point is to make a Big Statement about racism. Of course he refers to himself, because he always does that, but what he sings could work for any black singer as far as I can see.

But the title accidentally seems to reference what EVERYONE was saying about his changing skin color. He set himself up for his own punchline.

Interpreting this song as him commenting about his skin color changing seems like a real reach. What's your evidence?

sunspot42 likes this.
  12. Grant

Or any White singer. And, what's wrong with making big statements against racism? Seems like the world could use more of that.

Which he also addressed in his song 1988 single "Leave Me Alone".

The fact that he claimed vitiligo, and that his skin started to get lighter after his Pepsi commercial accident.

I believe he was burned on part of his face, and whitening his whole face and body was the best way to cover for it.

13. Cheevyjames

Cheevyjames Forum Resident

Catching up after vacation...

Color Me Badd - I Adore Mi Amor

Their first single, I Wanna Sex You Up, was all over the radio in my area of the world. It peaked at #2, though I would've swore it hit the top as much as I heard it. I didn't recognize this one by the title, but then once I heard the first vocal it all came back to me. I hated this sort of vocal R&B back in 1991, but now I can recognize the talent. The chorus of this song has a great hook and the dudes harmonize really well. Individually I don't love their voices, they're fine enough, but the whole sounds great together. The verses don't do much for me, but that chorus really has its claws in me. Watching the video, it's obviously that CMB were absolutely a "hair band". Nope, not the guys playing pop metal, this stuff was ALL about the hair.

Nirvana - Smells Like Teen Spirit

Ooooh, we finally get to talk about Nirvana, even though the song won't officially peak until early '92. I liked this one (and the subsequent singles) when it came out and ended up buying the album sometime in the Spring of '92. When this song was first released, I heard it on a heavy metal radio show of all places. It was loud and brash and honestly fit right in with everything else heavy-ish at the time. I didn't think it was radically different or some massive sea change; Teen Spirit was just a fun, loud, rocking song. I don't think this song, or the Nevermind album, or the band killed off any style of music. The glam metal stuff was petering out by this point anyway and had gotten incredible stale. Glam metal would've died with or without Nirvana and Teen Spirit. There was an old thread by @Jmac1979 discussing the #1 albums of the US and UK that I loved and wish would've gained more traction on the forum. So, I decided to make Spotify playlists of the whole lot, decade by decade. I never really gave Teen Spirit/Nevermind the props it deserves because I came from a metal and hard rock background. It wasn't until I was listening through the 1991 #1 albums and when Nevermind came on, it sounded radically different from everything else that was happing in popular music around then. As far as pop albums go, Nevermind absolutely sounded like an explosion. I love seeing things shake up like that and I'm glad that Smells Like Teen Spirit was that first spark. It's a super catchy song and still a lot of fun.

Marky Mark - Good Vibrations

Feel it, feel it! I can't take his rapping seriously. 31 years later and I still just laugh at "Marky Mark" doing this thing here. There's not really much of a song; just a few hooks, bad rapping and a lot of that beat. This is something I'd happily dance to in my stupid way, but that doesn't make it a good song. It's still pretty terrible, it always was.

Mariah Carey - Emotions

The piano recalls the same piano sound in Good Vibrations. That sound was all over the place in 91. Yeah, this song heavily "borrows" from Best of My Love. I hear "To Be Real" in here too. I like that it's an upbeat song and the chorus hook is solid. Her vocal gymnastics are impressive but pointless. So there are positive aspects to this song, but it's kind of a bore for me. I don't FEEL anything from it.

Karyn White - Romantic

Wow, I think this is the only the second or third #1 that I don't remember from when I was a kid. I remember her earlier hits like Superwoman and Secret Rendezvous, but not this song. Nothing stands out. This music does not work with the idea of "it's time to get romantic". I guess that's a good thing, to be different? This song is forgettable. It sounds like watered-down Janet Jackson, completely missing Janet's personality.

Prince - Cream

Is this really the last Prince #1? I could've swore a song 3 years in the future hit the top, but I guess not. I like this song a lot. It's got his signature style all over it. I love the playfulness and attitude here. The song doesn't sound like anything else from this time period. The guitar-playing really stands out. All around, every aspect of this song from the groove to the guitar to his vocals are right on point. I love the slight nods to songs and styles from the 60s and 70s. The one that stood out today is the reference to T Rex's Bang a Gong. Fun song, possibly the best single of the year. Diamonds and Pearls overall isn't a very good album, but it does have a few killer songs.

Michael Bolton - When a Man Loves a Woman

As W.B. said, it's another one of those "immediately reach for the radio dial" type of songs. Hell, I'd say that about ALL of Bolton's music. I tried to make it through this godawful turd. I made it a minute and a half. Even without knowing the original, which slams hard, this song would be awful. I don't know and don't care to find out, but this is neck and neck in the running for worst song of 1991 with the Bryan Adams crap. Terrible, terrible music. Kill it with fire.

PM Dawn - Set Adrift on Memory Bliss

The sample of True works well on this tune. I think True is a great tune and I love its vibe, so it works perfectly as a bed for this mellow lovey hip hop song. The whole feel of this song just feels like floating on a cloud. I'm a sucker for this one. I liked it when it came out and it still hits that spot. I love the dreamy vocals.

Michael Jackson - Black or White

The central guitar riff strongly suggests The Beatles' It's All Too Much while MJ's vocal melody in the verse makes me think of Duran Duran's Hungry Like the Wolf. I keep singing the "do do do do" part along with this. At its core it's still a standard blues structure with that D chord being drilled into my brain. There is the middle section with some different turns, but primarily it keeps the structure. There's a very short rap here, which may be a first for MJ? I'm not sure. While I like the lyrical sentiment, the song is really slight. It's good to have a happy Michael Jackson song since it seemed he was really angry on Bad. Overall it's not that great of a song and it's lessened for me with time.

14. Grant

And it just reminded me of "Hurts So Good" by John Mellencamp (that's John Cougar on the record label).

Cheevyjames and ippudo like this.
  15. Reckoner

Reckoner Made in Canada

Was it you that made the Spotify playlist of Billboard Top 10's from 1970-2000? If so, THANK YOU, that's been a great list. I would love a link to your #1 Albums list too!

Lance LaSalle likes this.
  16. torcan

torcan Forum Resident

Overall you may be right but I consider 1983-84 an important period for dance music too. Thriller hit big, plus you had Flashdance, Let's Dance, Footloose and other danceable hits by acts like the Pointer Sisters and Laura Branigan, which kind of paved the way for other danceable hits in the years to come, by Janet Jackson, Whitney, etc. Paul Grein in Billboard even pointed out in May 1983 that dance music was as its highest popularity since the late '70s.

Lance LaSalle, MongrelPiano and Grant like this.
  17. Grant

I don't do Spotify, but over that last two+ decades, i've been creating my personal year-by-year collection that so far spans the years 1959-2001. It is by no means comprehensive, as there are songs and artists here and there that I don't like or want in my home. But, I take great pains to ensure it has the correct single versions, or versions that were played on my local radio, and other deep cuts that I heard growing up. years and years ago I listed most of them, but the comps have been altered so much that they bear little resemblance to what I posted back then.

The gorts got annoyed when I posted them before, even though they had their own threads, but if anyone wants, i'll be glad to post the current track lineups today. I also put the collections up on my FLEX server.

Cheevyjames likes this.
  18. 20 years back I started doing yearly CD Comps from my own collection.
    I think I started at 1979...as that was the year I left school.
    Around about 2005 I started doing mp3 versions of them only much more comprehensive and I'd do whatever got into the UK top 40. Basically I'd follow the chart weekly for whatever year I was doing and download what I hadn't got (don't ask!!) and keep adding when I'd got time.
    Eventually....i went right back to the start...1952, and kept going!!
    I still do them to this day though I must admit since streaming took over about 4 years ago I gave up on just doing what got into the Top 40 as there was just too much stuff I didn't like.
    Now, I listen to all the new entries in the UK Top 100 and add only what I like. I also add stuff from my personal radar which throws up some interesting new artists here and there.
    I like to think of them as my 'Now that's what call music' comps!!
    For anyone remotely interested and are on Spotify, look up ' Now Yam 2020' and you'll find what I have liked for that year. I'm gradually in the process of adding building my other yearly comps...let's just say its a long process!!!! You see T shirts with a year demotting what year it was.
    Sad but true!!
    A word of warning....they are large playlists.
    Now Yam 2020

Cheevyjames likes this.
  19. For those who just don't enjoy new stuff....
    1970 UK Singles
    Currently just starting 1990.

Cheevyjames likes this.
  20. Anways, now we are at the years end....here's my fav singles for 1991.

The Source ft Candi Station - You Got The Love
    Julian Cope - Beautiful Love
    Thunder - Love Walked In
    Massive Attack - Unfinnished Symphony
    R.E.M - Losing My Religion
    Siouxsie & The Banshees - Kiss Them For Me
    Kraftwerk - The Robots
    All About Eve - Farewell Mr Sorrow
    Billy Bragg - Sexuality
    Simply Red - Something Got Me Started
    Queensryche - Best I Can
    Metallica - Enter Sandman
    DJ Jazzy Jeff & The Fresh Prince - Summertime
    Martika - Love Thy Will Be Done
    Nirvana - Smells Like Teen Spirit

ARK, Cheevyjames and Lance LaSalle like this.
  21. jimmydean

jimmydean Senior Member

was this a remix ?

22. Yes. It was on their 1991 'The Mix' album.

23. Grant

I am constantly updating my comps. I just corrected some stuff in the year 1977. That was the year I started high school. I recently found some old air check tapes and found the exact edits they played of some stuff on the air, and I wanted those exact versions on my comp. I more or less sequence the songs in the order of their popularity and chart history throughout a given year. So, for 1974, i'd start out with "Jet" by Wings, and end with "Lucy In The Sky With Diamonds" by Elton John. So, if you listen to the whole year in order, you get the full experience of how the music of that year progressed. So, "Bennie & The Jets" will fall in right around June 1974.

You posted 1970. In my 1970 comp, the actual mono single "All Right Now" by Free falls in on volume 5 or 6. It brings back memories of hearing it on the radio on late October evenings.

I'm really anal about getting things historically correct, which is why I have to use my own sources for the songs, and why I am constantly revising things.

I'm giving a copy of my comps to my friend. We are the same age, went to the same schools, and listened to the same radio stations. I guaranteed him that my comps would take him right back to the time we first enjoyed the songs. For all you album-oriented guys, this is about the radio and singles experience.

Last edited: May 21, 2022
    Yam Graham likes this.
  24. W.B.

W.B. The Collector's Collector

Now we go to a new year, and with it a new song:
    #763 (1st of 1992): "All 4 Love" by Color Me Badd
    (#1 for 1 week - January 25, 1992)

If it wasn't the music, Prince loomed large in terms of influence when it came to spelling of song titles and lyrics. I had a vague memory of the melody, but it more or less came back when hearing it for prep here. For this - their second and last #1 on this here chart - they lifted from an old Mad Lads' song from 1966, "Patch My Heart." And, B.T.W., only on this here chart; this was kept at #2 on the other two charts, Cash Box and Radio & Records, one of which had a single at the top there that itself was kept here at #2 by this but the reverse at the publication in question; we'll get to that in the year-end review when we get there. The UK was considerably ahead of us in terms of when this charted, as it peaked there at #5 the previous August. Meanwhile, this very week in the UK, a single by a Scottish group called Wet Wet Wet entitled "Goodnight Girl" began a 4-week run at the top.

25. Color Me Badd - All 4 Love

Ahh, this was the one I menstioned earlier...the calypso vibe.
    I don't mind this....but the band themselves...oh dear!!!

3/5

Lance LaSalle and MongrelPiano like this.