EVERY Billboard #1 hit discussion thread 1958-Present

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by alphanguy, Jan 29, 2016.

1. sunspot42

sunspot42 Forum Resident

Wow, another slow, no-energy R&B "jam".

I forgot all about Brandy and Monica. Probably a reason for that...

Wild Horse likes this.
  2. Oatsdad

Oatsdad Oat, Biscuits, Abbie & Mitzi: Best Dogs Ever

Huge single and beloved by a lot of people... but not me.

sunspot42 likes this.
  3. torcan

torcan Forum Resident

Hmmm...I like songs by both of these artists, but I wasn't overly impressed with this one when it was on the charts - certainly not impressed enough to warrant 13 weeks on top. This is another song I don't think I've heard since it dropped off the charts...there seem to be a lot of those in the '90s, aren't there?

In comparison to the recently discussed Too Close by Next, The Boy is Mine spent just 27 weeks on the Hot 100, compared to Too Close's 53.

MongrelPiano and sunspot42 like this.
  4. FrankieMax

FrankieMax Autumn winds, Blowing outside the window...

"The Boy Is Mine" by Brandy And Monica

I loved this one! Yes, it was a little smooth, but that bassline was as catchy as the vocal melody! There were some great 'Darkchild' written/produced songs in the charts at this time, and I got Brandy's Never Say Never album on the back of this.

I know other musicians really admire her vocal layering 'John Frusciante of RHCP et.al' and is really showcased on songs such as "U Don't Know Me (Like U Used To)" it really is quite a wall of sound. However, by the turn of the century Darkchild's began to sound less exciting by the time he worked with the 'King Of Pop' and the 'Spice Girls'.

5. Brandy And Monica - The Boy Is Mine

At least I remember this!!!
    I quite like this actually...it's got a nice smooth feel to it.
    Its a pass then!!!

3/5

Hey Vinyl Man and Grant like this.
  6. Reckoner

Reckoner Made in Canada

The Boy is Mine - Brandy and Monica

I didn't love it or hate it in '98. I remain ambivalent in 2022. Just "meh".
    3/5

7. SITKOL'76

SITKOL'76 Forum Resident

You guys hate The Boy Is Mine too? What on earth do y'all actually like? I can't be the only one defending these R&B classics in this thread, yikes! :help:

Cheevyjames, KJTC, Yam Graham and 2 others like this.
  8. W.B.

W.B. The Collector's Collector

I've no opinion one way or the other about this. :D

Lance LaSalle and Grant like this.
  9. SITKOL'76

SITKOL'76 Forum Resident

The Boys Is Mine is obviously a classic song and video too, and really scored off of the precieved rivalry between Brandy and Monica.

As I've mentioned earlier, Brandy and Monica were 2/3's of the 90's R&B Teen Queen trinity (alongside Aaliyah), and the three were compared routinely.

Brandy made her debut in 1994, while Monica came onto the scene the following year in 1995. Both were huge successes out of the gate but had very different images. Brandy was the girl next door. She was more crossover, had a hit TV show and even did films briefly (The Cinderella film was a smashing success just a tear before TBIM). Monica was more street, and felt like a little Mary (Mary J. Blige that is). She was younger by a year, but felt more grown.

Their success made for a great rivalry, and urban media definitely fed the flames. The Boys Is Mine was the culmination of that rivalry, and it's massive success speaks to the publics infatuation with the "rivalry". It was originally Brandy's song, then Monica came on board and really did her thing.

They're definitely competing, and it's a vocal show case, but they don't let it overwhelm the song. It's a song I've grown tired of, but can still enjoy listening to from time to time.

The video is just as important as the song in this case. Brandy's 90's style is a slight obsession of mine. I loved the way she wore braids. Box braids, micro braids, even twists and locs. She rocked every style and made them look classy. Monica looks amazing as well and I love what she does with her eyes in the video. I get the feeling Brandy is a bit unsure of herself, she's more reserved and demure. Monica on the other hand looks like she's ready to throw hands. :laugh:

I love how it concludes as well, what's good fighting over a man who isn't going to be faithful to either of you? On his part though, I'm sure cheating would've gone far more smoothly had he not been two-timing girls who happen to be next door neighbors. Don't know why he thought that would work out.

TimM, KJTC, FrankieMax and 2 others like this.
  10. Standoffish

Standoffish Smarter than a turkey

I'll pop in and say I dig this one. Cool bass line, and some nicely recorded duel vocals. Catchy chorus, too. This song has aged well.

11. SITKOL'76

SITKOL'76 Forum Resident

While Monica and Brandy held the top spot down all through the summer, The Goo Goo Dolls were breaking airplay records with their hit song "Iris". The song was ineligible to chart due to Billboard restrictions at the time, but had it been allowed to chart I'm sure it would've gone straight to #1, right along side The Boy Is Mine.

This song sat ontop of the airplay charts for a record EIGHTEEN WEEKS, and is still today #8 on the all-time charts for the Mainstream Top 40. Very few songs have ever gotten that much airplay.

Billboard changed its rules in December of '98 to alow airplay only songs to chart, and it wound up peaking at #9 on the Hot 100.

It's one of the songs I most associate with the 90's. Also a classic and has aged incredibly well.

Reckoner, KJTC, Yam Graham and 3 others like this.
  12. prymel

prymel Forum Resident

I thought the song by Next was one of the best #1's of the decade, so I don't hate everything! :D

Lance LaSalle, Grant and SITKOL'76 like this.
  13. W.B.

W.B. The Collector's Collector

That's the one Goo Goo Dolls' song I have actually heard, though it took me years to find the title to it.

Lance LaSalle and sunspot42 like this.
  14. SITKOL'76

SITKOL'76 Forum Resident

Another song that missed its chance on the Hot 100 due to Billboard rules was fellow R&B teen Queen, Aaliyah's, "Are You That Somebody?".

Now this, is a legendary banger. Timbaland is at his absolute best here and I love his rap on it. He even makes a cameo in the video. Everything worked to make this a certified hit, and it peaked at #6 on the Mainstream Top 40 chart. The beat just rides and that intro really sucks you in.

Dirty South, Can y'all really feel me?
    East coast feel me?
    West coast feel me?

Aaliyah's style was always very uniquely hers and she and Fatima (her choreographer) had great chemistry. Aaliyah never danced like Janet, but there was a fluidity to her movement that I admire. The video is dark, and it has a bit of a Gothic feel to it.

When Billboard changed their rules that December, Are You That Somebody managed to peak at #21. Funnily enough, Aaliyah would later go on to score the very first number one single to make it to the top solely off the strength of airplay.

KJTC and Lance LaSalle like this.
  15. Hey Vinyl Man

Hey Vinyl Man Another bloody Yank down under...

The Boy is Mine - At least I remember this one, the first one in a while where I can say that. Never knew it was inspired by the Jackson/McCartney song, but I figured it probably was. My opinion of the two is about the same - not bad, not particularly good. But I can see why it was a hit.

Lance LaSalle likes this.
  16. Wild Horse

Wild Horse Forum Resident

The Boy Is Mine

When Michael Jackson and Paul McCartney sang the "The Girl Is Mine" at least it was funny.

17. sunspot42

sunspot42 Forum Resident

Unlike the rest of these forgettable numbers, "Iris" still gets airplay and remains iconic. Written for the film City Of Angels, the loose US remake of the '87 German Wim Wenders film Wings Of Desire. VH1 adored the video.

Lance LaSalle likes this.
  18. Wild Horse

I'm pretty sure by this point there won't be anything that will even be close to beating Sinead O'Connor's "Nothing Compares 2 U" as the best number one of the 90's.

And that was right at the beginning of 1990.

19. Wild Horse

I liked "Waterfalls" and I like this ...

But, yeah, you may be alone on a lot of these snoozers. :D

sunspot42 likes this.
  20. ARK

ARK Forum Miscreant

Boy is great; Girl is terrible

21. MongrelPiano

MongrelPiano "When I was young they gave me a mongrel piano..."

Hey now, I offered some (admittedly faint) praise for "Exhale (Shoop Shoop)" when no one else would. :D

Definitely a step up, is this the first hit to use that stuttering beat that's about to become very popular over the next two years? The main issue with most of these 90s R&B ditties is repetitive melodies, there's no effort to make the verses sound any different from the chorus or add a middle eight or...any variation at all really.
    I could say the same thing about the upcoming #1 you mentioned even though overall I think it's a standout track for its era.

22. Grant

Grant Life is a rock, but the radio rolled me!

Then dude! Why aren't you on the Billboard R&B thread? You'd like a lot of the #1s there.

A lot of it is all about what you grew up with and are used to hearing. You were a kid during this era, so I understand how you would look at this R&B with more fondness than the rest of us old guys.

This is also about the time guys started whining about the death of rock, and a lot of people switched to country music.

Last edited: Dec 3, 2022
    Yam Graham and SITKOL'76 like this.
  23. Grant

I just realized that somehow, I don't have the explicit version in my archive anymore so I had to download it again just a few minutes ago. Oh, and now I look over at an old hard drive and realize that it's probably on that. Oh well, $2.35 wasted.

24. Grant

My issue with most of these R&B tunes is that they are all achingly slow and dull ballads. That's why I like the 60s, 70s, and early 80s R&B, the music was much more diverse and lively...and they played real instruments!

ronm, sunspot42 and MongrelPiano like this.
  25. SITKOL'76

SITKOL'76 Forum Resident

I'm in this thread to avoid all the Rock people constantly screaming about it, and how it's dead :laugh:

Grant likes this.