EVERY Billboard #1 hit discussion thread 1958-Present

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by alphanguy, Jan 29, 2016.

1. SITKOL'76

SITKOL'76 Forum Resident

I think the direction they could've gone in was the direction Justin went unto as a solo artist.

With Celebrity they really began flirting with more urban sounds and productions from producers like the Neptunes. They even featured Nelly on one of their hits.

With Justified, Justin Timberlake basically continued that trend and expanded it with Timbaland later in the 00's.

I'm always baffled as to why JC Chasez didn't go on to score like Timberlake did solo, despite being the other lead singer of the group.

KJTC likes this.
  2. sunspot42

sunspot42 Forum Resident

"No Tell Lover" has pretty much disappeared, but I think it's one of their best hits overall and one of the two best singles from that period in Chicago's history.

Chief1970 and Jrr like this.
  3. sunspot42

sunspot42 Forum Resident

Lame. Sorry.

4. Grant

Grant Life is a rock, but the radio rolled me!

The best Chicago music came out before 1975.

RVA_101, ronm and Wild Horse like this.
  5. Wild Horse

Wild Horse Forum Resident

Bent

It has no hook.

It's Gonna Be Me

It's gonna be the last time ever I listen to this.

Jrr and sunspot42 like this.
  6. sunspot42

sunspot42 Forum Resident

No disagreement there, but "No Tell Lover" is quite nice, along with a couple of other mid-period tracks ("If You Leave Me Now").

Jrr, MongrelPiano and Grant like this.
  7. Big Sur 4/4 version

Big Sur 4/4 version Forum Resident

Yeah, but to be fair, I think the work that Justin Timberlake did between 2002-2013 absolutely delivered.
    A shame his music quality and judgement took a nice steep dive after that third album though…

KJTC likes this.
  8. W.B.

W.B. The Collector's Collector

Once more advancing upward, we land at . . .
    #862 (12th of 2000): "Incomplete" by Sisqó
    (#1 for 2 weeks - August 12-19, 2000)

Going forward, it would seem the title of this song - the only #1 for this once-and-future Dru Hill lead singer - would symbolize what a lot of future #1's (and others) would sound like - half-finished (if that), almost demo-like. In a way, it is a puzzlement that this could only get to #31 in Radio & Records, not only as it relates to this reaching #1 here, but also because over there, his earlier "Thong Song" made #4 (#3 on here). In the UK, meanwhile, this one got no higher than #13. In the two weeks this was #1 here, UK #1's included "Rock DJ" by Robbie Williams (which swipes from, among others, Barry White's "It's Ecstasy When You Lay Down Next To Me"); and perhaps the most famous song to ex-'Sporty Spice' Melanie C's name in her solo endeavours, "I Turn To You."

ARK and SITKOL'76 like this.
  9. sunspot42

sunspot42 Forum Resident

Another boring *ss slo-jam.

Yawn.

Was hoping we'd left this crap behind in the '90s.

10. Sisqo - Incomplete
    So it is...Zzzzzzzzzz
    2/5

11. Back in blighty.....I turn to Mel C.....

12. Wild Horse

Incomplete

He forgot to add the enjoyable part.

SITKOL'76 and AppleBonker like this.
  13. Reckoner

Reckoner Made in Canada

Incomplete - Sisqo

I don't remember this one at all and that's probably because up here in Canada, MuchMusic wanted nothing to do with it as it doesn't appear in any weekly charts, not even floating somewhere at the bottom. Yeah, it's a cookie cutter R&B ballad so it's not surprise that I wouldn't have discovered this one. I've clearly lost the pulse of Top 40 at this period and even looking at the MuchMusic charts, I was only exploring post-grunge/alternative in the early 00's as nothing else was registering.

I don't think I missed much.
    1/5

14. torcan

torcan Forum Resident

No memory of this one at all (even after playing a bit of the video). I'm sure I heard it quite a bit when it was a hit, but after it left the charts its never been played again (at least in my area, anyway).

A lot of the music of this time period was so disposable. During the '70s, '80s and early parts of the '90s, No. 1 or top 10 hits would still be played as "recurrents" after they left the charts - so they'd still be in public consciousness. Around the mid-'90s and beyond, a lot of songs were played when they were on the charts but once they fell off, radio would never touch them again and you'd never hear them again. There's more from this time period than any other period in music history - and it's still probably going on today for many hits.

KJTC likes this.
  15. Lance LaSalle

Lance LaSalle Prince of Swollen Sinus

If I ever write and record an R&B slow jam parody it will sound exactly like this Sisqo song.

2/5

sunspot42 likes this.
  16. W.B.

You sound almost like @Grant. I like that! :winkgrin: :uhhuh:

Yam Graham and Grant like this.
  17. W.B.

For those in the U.S.:

This, I do remember.

18. prymel

prymel Forum Resident

"Incomplete" - I couldn't recall a single thing about it two minutes after it ended, other than it has one of those mushy 2000's-style songs with no discernible melodic line.

sunspot42 and Lance LaSalle like this.
  19. FrankieMax

FrankieMax Autumn winds, Blowing outside the window...

"Incomplete" by Sisqó

Co-Written by a former Billboard #1/One Hit Wonder Montell Jordan!

How did this get to #1, over "Thong Song"?! At least that song was fun!

I don't remember this being a single at all! This is another "If you told me this was released in 1995, I'd have believed you".

Having said that, I randomly have his first 2 albums! I must have got the CD's super cheap at a used record place! I guess I found the aforementioned "Thong Song" catchy or novelty enough to purchase his music!

"Rock DJ" by Robbie Williams

Absolutely great single! A tongue-In-Cheek party song, which makes good use of the samples:- Barry White's song "It's Ecstasy When You Lay Down Next to Me", "Can I Kick It?" by A Tribe Called Quest and has a quote from "La Di Da Di" by Slick Rick and Doug E. Fresh.

With it's highly memorable Music Video, It's probably the only Robbie Williams song I really like except "No Regrets" features backing vocals from Neil Tennant of Pet Shop Boys.

Last edited: Feb 5, 2023
    sunspot42 likes this.
  20. John Harchar

John Harchar Forum Resident

Wow, four #1 songs in a row I never heard.

21. W.B.

This one, you should be more familiar with . . . I sure am . . .
    #863 (13th of 2000): "Doesn't Really Matter" by Janet
    (#1 for 3 weeks - August 26-September 9, 2000)

"Get a [expletive deleted] last name, will ya?" - George Carlin

With this, Ms. Jackson (for that is what she is) becomes the first to score #1's in each of three successive decades: 1980's, 1990's, and 2000's. Hearing this particular one, though, I am struck with two things:
    - Her vocal delivery on this led me to mistakenly believe, at first, that she'd also done Aaliyah's "Try Again."
    - What's with all the "get up, get up, get up's"? Who does she think she is anyhow - Marvin Gaye? (As from his "Sexual Healing.")

Anyway . . . this little ditty from the Eddie Murphy re-do of Jerry Lewis' iconic 1963 flick The Nutty Professor only "got up, got up, got up" to #3 in Radio & Records - and fuhgeddaboutda Billboard airplay chart. In the UK, meanwhile, it made #5 - and while this was at the top here, the #1's that came and went in "Blighty" included "Groovejet (If This Ain't Love)" by Spiller; a number that would come to replace this at the summit here; and a cover of A-ha's "Take On Me" as by an outfit called A1.

greelywinger, SITKOL'76, ARK and 2 others like this.
  22. KJTC

KJTC Forum Resident

There are some Janet songs where I can’t understand most of what she’s saying, and this is one of them. “If” was another one.

sunspot42 likes this.
  23. sunspot42

sunspot42 Forum Resident

Not awful, but a good minute longer than it needs to be. And that chirping sound in the mix sounds like a skipping CD - it's driving me nuts. Her vocal is nice, but I can't understand a word she's saying, as @KJTC noted.

Congrats to Janet on being the first act to have a #1 in the '80s, '90s and 2000's. This would be her next-to-last #1 and she'd only enjoy two more Top 10 singles after this. While it seemed like Janet might become a pop perennial, that would in fact not be the case. Her chart career wasn't over after 2001, but it was vastly diminished.

SITKOL'76, Grant and MongrelPiano like this.
  24. MongrelPiano

MongrelPiano "When I was young they gave me a mongrel piano..."

#862 (12th of 2000): "Incomplete" by Sisqó
    (#1 for 2 weeks - August 12-19, 2000)

Wait...what? Sisqó wasn't a one-hit wonder? And it was this generic crap that hit #1 and not the dumb but indelible "Thong Song"? Oh, and he was a member of Dru Hill as well? How did I not know/remember any of this? I should turn in my music trivia smarty-pants certification. :shake:

sunspot42 and prymel like this.
  25. Wild Horse

Doesn't Really Matter

I fast forwarded it and there was a squeaky toy solo. It was a like finding a little prize in store brand canned spaghetti.

SITKOL'76, sunspot42 and Yam Graham like this.