EVERY Billboard #1 hit discussion thread 1958-Present

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by alphanguy, Jan 29, 2016.

1. torcan

torcan Forum Resident

This one's OK. Being a vinyl guy, this was actually released on a 45, so I picked it up when it was a hit. When Janet released her next album a few months later (also available on vinyl), they included this song but the version they used was different from the hit version. The 45 is still my go-to version for this song. I'd imagine the same mix was probably used on the CD single.

Lance LaSalle likes this.
  2. Janet (Jackson) - Doesn't Really Matter

A million miles away from her brilliant late 80's albums.
    What's with the single name nonsense as well.

2/5

3. Reckoner

Reckoner Made in Canada

Doesn't Really Matter - Janet

It doesn't really matter to me that I don't really understand a lot of what she says in this song. If I'm looking for strong lyrical content, it's not going to be often found anywhere in this chart and I know it only gets worse going forward. But it's Janet. All she has to do is smile, use her pleasant, non-gymnastic voice to support the song and dance around with her friends for me to like it. She's simply great at what she does.

Again with this track, she's doing her seemingly unscripted play-by-play of what's going on in the recording studio. In this track you can hear her say "I always do that!" or something along those lines. Her surprise studio comments pop up now and then on her tracks. It's kind of a trademark.

Anyways, this is fun.
    4/5

KJTC likes this.
  4. SITKOL'76

SITKOL'76 Forum Resident

For being his only #1 hit, Incomplete is very forgotten. The Thong Song which got to #4 was the bigger and more remembered hit in the long run.

Even some of his stuff with Dru Hill has aged better honestly.

Sisqo was a hell of a performer though, and I'd say his style was pretty out there for the time. The hair was pretty cool.

MongrelPiano and KJTC like this.
  5. SITKOL'76

SITKOL'76 Forum Resident

Doesn't Really Matter

Definitely not one of my faves from Janet, and it's not one I play very often. All I can really describe it as, is fun.

As @sunspot42 mentioned, this song gave Janet the distinction of being the first artist to score a #1 single in the 80's, 90's and 00's. And she wasn't don't either.

I also find it interesting that another 80's singer took her off the #1 spot. One she'd been competing with on the charts since '86.

KJTC likes this.
  6. KJTC

KJTC Forum Resident

That would make for a cool spin-off thread: artists who had at least one No. 1 single, but their signature/most popular song didn't top the chart and the No. 1's are largely forgotten.

sunspot42 and SITKOL'76 like this.
  7. KJTC

KJTC Forum Resident

It also hit the reset button after the Velvet Rope era, which was brilliant but underappreciated in its time. She want back to fun pop and was embraced for it. Madonna did the same pivot with "Hung Up" a few years later.

ETA: I just remembered that I thought she was singing "I'm in the love with enemy" in the chorus. Just looked it up and it's "'I'm in love with the inner being."

SITKOL'76 likes this.
  8. SITKOL'76

SITKOL'76 Forum Resident

Yeah lol, it was for the Nutty professor II, so I guess she's singing in the perspective of her character that was in a relationship with the Proffesor, who wasn't exactly Brad Pitt or Denzel.

That's a pretty common misinterpretation of the lyrics, which is common with Janet considering her habit to mumble and whisper.

sunspot42 and KJTC like this.
  9. KJTC

KJTC Forum Resident

What I love is that there are arenas full of fans that understand every word and sing along!

SITKOL'76 likes this.
  10. W.B.

W.B. The Collector's Collector

And so one '80's veteran passes the torch to another . . .
    #864 (14th of 2000): "Music" by Madonna
    (#1 for 4 weeks - September 16-October 7, 2000)

And so with this, Ms. Ciccone's run at the top finally comes to an end after twelve numbers (including this) reaching the summit over a 15-year period. And only here (and on the dance chart where it was especially big); Radio & Records had this get no higher than #2, and again forget the airplay chart. It was a different story in the UK, however; there, it was #1 for all of one week (2 September 2000). Meanwhile, in this record's run at #1 here, 'Blighty' toppers included "Lady (Hear Me Tonight)" by Modjo; a cover of the old Phil Collins hit "Against All Odds" as by Mariah Carey Featuring Westlife; and "Black Coffee" by All Saints.

11. prymel

prymel Forum Resident

"Music" - Every shred of life has been thoroughly sucked out of this song. It's borderline unlistenable.

MongrelPiano and Lance LaSalle like this.
  12. W.B.

That wasn't some kind of pun, no?

ARK, MongrelPiano and prymel like this.
  13. prymel

prymel Forum Resident

Honestly, it wasn't. If you hadn't pointed it out, I don't think I ever would have noticed. I guess I'm oblivious to my cleverness! :D

ARK, MongrelPiano and Lance LaSalle like this.
  14. W.B.

However, I will agree it sounds outright sterile, cold and artificial. Almost makes Cher's "Believe" sound like something out of MTV Unplugged.

15. torcan

torcan Forum Resident

A little different for Madonna. Not as good as her classic singles but I like it. Thumbs up!

sunspot42 and Grant like this.
  16. Wild Horse

Wild Horse Forum Resident

Music

Yes, but only technically

MongrelPiano likes this.
  17. sunspot42

sunspot42 Forum Resident

At this point, Madge seemed unstoppable. Music isn't her strongest record - it's no Ray Of Light - but the title track is a fun dance floor banger. The soon to be Mrs. Guy Ritchie hooked up with obscure French electronic producer Mirwais Ahmadzai for a much harder-edged techno sound than Ray Of Light. It's interesting, but much colder, angular and more dance-focused than her work with William Orbit. Music has its charms - particularly the countrified, deconstructed sounding "Don't Tell Me" - but on the whole is a much more-challenging listen than Ray. She went sorta full Bjork on this one, and when she has a solid melody like on "Don't Tell Me" it really works.

But when she doesn't have a solid melody to work with, they just sound like computer exercises, and evaporate from memory not long after listening.

I've always thought "Don't Tell Me" should have been the lead single - it's real art pop.

You got the distinct impression she was bored with contemporary pop. Well...I can't say I blame her. Kudos to Madge for at least trying to do something different.

18. Madonna - Music

Looks like I'll be the first 'yes, a great pop song' that's not a turgid ballad or sloooow jam R n B bore!!!!
    Still at the top and still making innovative pop songs.

5/5

ARK, KJTC, Lance LaSalle and 2 others like this.
  19. Jrr

Jrr Forum Resident

Well, if she was trying to expand her fan base, or bring back some previous fans, it worked as far as I’m concerned. Frankly, she had fallen off my radar a good two albums ago. Just lost interest, and I was a fan from day one. Probably not even her fault. Not a lot of artists back then you generally hung with after 3-4 albums. At least not me. I really liked this one a lot, and I paid attention to her again. I even looked into her last album X and loved it so much I bought a copy. I agree it’s a cold sounding song, but I think it works for that track.

sunspot42, KJTC and Yam Graham like this.
  20. Lance LaSalle

Lance LaSalle Prince of Swollen Sinus

"Music" is weird and arty dance music that I'm frankly surprised hit #1 mainly because I think it;s really good.

5/5

Jrr, sunspot42, KJTC and 1 other person like this.
  21. Reckoner

Reckoner Made in Canada

Music - Madonna

I liked this one even if I tired of it fairly quickly. It's fun in small doses with many years between plays. Madonna wasn't afraid of trying new things and I have great respect for her for that.
    4/5

sunspot42 likes this.
  22. bare trees

bare trees Senior Member

Music: Works well for the dancefloor but not something that I would listen to myself but.....

Don't Tell Me: This knocked me out when I first heard it and it has held up nicely. The acoustic guitar makes this song for me.

sunspot42 likes this.
  23. FrankieMax

FrankieMax Autumn winds, Blowing outside the window...

"Doesn't Really Matter" by Janet

I remember this well, and seeing a performance on Top Of The Pops that was recorded in L.A according to presenter Richard Blackwood, who was a Singer himself at the time. I enjoyed many of the 'Big American' Stars having this type of pre recorded 'Long Distance' type performance aired on the show.

They would feature a low key set with some Top Of The Pops Logos and imagery. I remember performances from TLC for 'No Scrubs' and Toni Braxton for 'He Wasn't Man Enough For Me'. Notice in the clip below 'Janet.' doesn't even have a head mic! hehe.

I remember seeing the Film 'The Nutty Professor 2: The Clumps' as me friends and I rented the VHS to watch on a Friday night or something, good times. The film itself had a good soundtrack full of songs that would become 'Soundtrack Tie-In Hits' at the time.

How Y2K is the Music Video?! With it's Futuristic Theme, Bright Colours, Hairstyles and even 'Yo-Yo's' that were 'Back' for awhile! hehe.

Yes, I remember being pleased that the forthcoming album featured the version with the 'Dance Break'. The 'Music Video' had it's own mix, and the (Radio Edit) was a shorter version of that, where there's the slowdown bit in the middle of the song as, opposed to the 'Dance Break' of the 'Album Version'.

There was also the (Rockwilder Mix) which was used in the Film and Soundtrack. So many Non-Remixed versions of the Original mix of the song, phew! Whereas the forthcoming Lead Single's 'Album Version' didn't feature the 'Dance Break' of the Music Video of what became labelled the (video mix) on the Physical Singles and future Hits Compilations.

Last edited: Feb 9, 2023
  24. Oatsdad

Oatsdad Oat, Biscuits, Abbie & Mitzi: Best Dogs Ever

Don't remember this one. Probably because it's a snoozer.

25. Oatsdad

Oatsdad Oat, Biscuits, Abbie & Mitzi: Best Dogs Ever

As SHF Spice Fan #1, I had this album - and CD single - back in the day!

Liked Mel C's first solo album but never loved it. Kinda hoped she'd branch out more to rock.

Yam Graham and FrankieMax like this.