EVERY Billboard #1 hit discussion thread 1958-Present

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by alphanguy, Jan 29, 2016.

1. zebop

zebop Well Known Stranger

True, to make matters worse, the best parts of his 71-74 band left, he was never the same.

Grant likes this.
  2. Manapua

Manapua Forum Resident

Never heard this one before. Sounds sort of garage rock in the beginning until the strings swoop in and give it more of an R&B vibe.

I concur that Imagine should have hit the top but like others have opined, some of the lyrics may have been interpreted as being anti-religion. Probably brought back the brouhaha from '66 when he suggested the Beatles were more popular than Jesus but we've already been down this road haven't we? I do recall when David Archuleta performed it on American Idol. Randy asked him why he chose to sing the second verse and he claimed those particular lyrics meant more to him. Being a good Mormon, he wasn't about to sing that line about heaven but he skirted the issue.

3. W.B.

W.B. The Collector's Collector

The film also spawned what would become the theme of a long-running TV soap opera that began in 1973. As I think it was a later #1, I'll stop the description at that.

4. Black Thumb

Black Thumb Yah Mo B There

It's not - it only got to #8 in late '76. One of those "I coulda sworn it charted higher" deals.

sunspot42 likes this.
  5. Grant

Grant Life is a rock, but the radio rolled me!

Religious types have been long known to alter the words of secular songs to fit their purpose. No big deal. But, we really shouldn't get into this too much because the moderators will break out their editing razor blades.

Well, you see, that's true for YOU. I was able to get KBBC FM during the daytime, and I was much further away from Phoenix than you.

6. W.B.

Still, when we get to '76 is when we get to this record. But my memory did think that . . .

7. alphanguy

alphanguy Forum Resident Thread Starter

Ok.... next is "Brand New Key" by Melanie, #1 from December 19, 1971 - January 8, 1972.

8. Grant

The song's lyrics and title have nice double entendres, but it's a song I can take or leave.

Hey Vinyl Man and Steve Carras like this.
  9. Damiano54

Damiano54 Senior Member

I like BNK, though not a lot. But I'll still take it over several other Number Ones from 1971.

Steve Carras likes this.
  10. Black Thumb

Black Thumb Yah Mo B There

Ah, just when things start to get political, Ms. Safka rolls along with our first (but by no means last) double entendre laden #1 of the year.

Melanie intrigues me, but I still haven't found my way into her work. "Brand New Key" is far from representative of her music, and she was purportedly so unhappy of being typecast by it's massive success that she briefly retired.

SomeCallMeTim and Grant like this.
  11. Mylene

Mylene Senior Member

Melanie was huge in Australia. Even Alexander Beetle was a major hit here.

The New Seekers covered her Look What They've Done to My Song, Ma and Melanie said "Look what they've done to my song, ma"

12. Manapua

Manapua Forum Resident

Judging from past comments on this thread, there's gonna be a lot of hate for this one. I liked it well enough, just thought of it as another juvenile, sing-song-y type of record that appeals to mass audiences. I liked the subversiveness of the performance versus the vague sexual innuendos. I do, though, prefer the follow-up Ring The Living Bell.

SomeCallMeTim and Damiano54 like this.
  13. sunspot42

sunspot42 Forum Resident

Another earliest memory of mine, and a song I adored as a kid. I can see how it could be polarizing, but you've gotta admire a quirky stream of double-entendres like this. Seems like a very unusual song from the perspective of 2017, but in an era of Mungo Jerry ("In The Summertime") and The Stampeders ("Sweet City Woman") it actually blended right in.

That stoned hippies in macrame vests era was about to come to a rapid close, though.

Manapua likes this.
  14. Damiano54

Damiano54 Senior Member

15. This song is not my preference, but I would not change the radio station if it was playing.

16. Grant

That's probably why she later released songs like "Bitter Bad".

17. Victor/Victrola

Victor/Victrola Makng shure its write

I'm not a big fan of Melanie, but I absolutely love Brand New Key. Nobody else that I knew could stand it except for one friend, who was head over heels in love with her. I never understood the raciness of the lyrics until I was a few years older (maybe 1975, 1976?) but I played the heck out of this 45.

John B Good likes this.
  18. W.B.

This was the first single to be issued in the U.S. on Neighborhood Records (single #NRA-4201) which was set up by her and manager/hubby Peter Schekeryk. And though not mentioned on the label, the arranger for this was Roger Kellaway (the co-writer of the closing theme to the TV series All In The Family). Oddly, in Canada this was put out on her old label, Buddah; this is why, in the US Buddah singles discography, there is no BDA 267.

This song and her cover of The Rolling Stones' "Ruby Tuesday" both made the list of the fifty worst rock and roll singles of all time (at #33 and #32, respectively) in the book The Worst Rock & Roll Records Of All Time. The book noted that she never had another Top 30 hit after this, and closed with this note:
    The other oddity? The A side was mono - while the B side was stereo. Go figure.

I don't know - somehow this would have been a perfect fit for "Fresh" radio stations if it were to come out today. Content-wise, there's stuff much worse out today (for reasons I obviously won't get to) than when Ms. Safka put this out. I say this more for the lyrical content than musically, though it did have a vibe akin to the two you mentioned.

And point of disclosure: I have this 45, a CBS Pitman pressing. That should tell you what I think of it . . .

SomeCallMeTim and CliffL like this.
  19. John54

John54 Senior Member

I can take or leave Brand New Key.

Peace Will Come was a much better song that didn't get anywhere near no. 1.

Hey Vinyl Man likes this.
  20. alphanguy

alphanguy Forum Resident Thread Starter

You know... until today, I had no idea Melanie had written or recorded that. I actually like the New Seekers' version of it, and it is the only one I've ever known. I've always loved them anyway.

Mylene likes this.
  21. Hey Vinyl Man

Hey Vinyl Man Another bloody Yank down under...

The Neighborhood label is one of the most beautiful ever made. "Brand New Key" is...well, I wouldn't call it beautiful, but it is cute. Can't believe that got to #1 and "Lay Down" only got to #10, though!

Grant likes this.
  22. Mylene

Mylene Senior Member

This parody version is more well known in the UK than the original

MaggieMac likes this.
  23. sunspot42

sunspot42 Forum Resident

"Lay Down (Candles In The Rain)" got to #6 on the Billboard chart, and to #3 at Cashbox.

Hey Vinyl Man likes this.
  24. tmoore

tmoore Forum Resident

Hence why I abruptly stopped talking about that. I wasn't trying to start a discussion.

Last edited: Dec 30, 2017
  25. tmoore

tmoore Forum Resident

Brand New Key is another song I never heard on '70s radio, either early on when others controlled what stations I heard, or later when I had control. It's an OK song, but like others here, I could take it or leave it.

I did see Melanie perform at the "A Day in the Garden" concert at the Bethel NY site of the original Woodstock festival, on Saturday, August 15, 1998. In 1998, there was no performing arts center; at the bottom of the hill, they had put up a temporary stage. I do not remember her playing "Brand New Key" during that set, although she played almost anything else I knew she had done.

The other performers that day were Donovan, Lou Reed, Joni Mitchell, and Pete Townshend. I don't remember if Melanie or Donovan performed first, but the last three performers (in order) were Reed, Mitchell, and Townshend.