EVERY Billboard #1 hit discussion thread 1958-Present

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by alphanguy, Jan 29, 2016.

1. Jrr

Jrr Forum Resident

Geez...hardly a song I don’t like. Didn’t really realize how good that year was. Even most of the stuff near the bottom is decent.

Grant likes this.
  2. Jrr

Jrr Forum Resident

A top ten is almost impossible !

3. WLL

WLL Popery Of Mopery

...What's " OHW " stand for?
    David Dundas, BTW, has/had the distinction of being an actual British Lord! His father was the 3d Marquess of Zetland - don"t ask me - and an older brother became the 4tb Marquess of Zetland, but D.D. also, despite I think being his parents' youngest child, became a Lord anyway - I don't understand the British title system:confused:, don't ask me!:rolleyes: Apparently he did not have the title at the time of his hits - now he has.
    Not exactly a working-class hero:laugh::wave::tsk::kilroy:!!!!!!!!!!!

Manapua, post: 20609675, member: 62637"]OHW alert!

David Dundas - Jeans On (#17)

[/QUOTE]

Last edited: Feb 16, 2019
  4. Manapua

Manapua Forum Resident

One Hit Wonder. And please don't go on about how many hits he had in the UK or anywhere else. We're dealing here with the Billboard Hot 1oo. Just putting it out there.

Grant likes this.
  5. WLL

WLL Popery Of Mopery

,,.Fine, but let's just remember that " Lorn Dundas " has a CRUSHING lack of STREET CREDIBILITY!:laugh::D No scruffy working class oik, he, who went to a red brick univesity, cloth cap in hand, for takeaway curry and lager...but TORY SCUM!:laughup: A CHINLESS WONDER:realmad:. A toffee-nosed git! O oi oi, guv'nor:unhunh::whistle:.

anapua, post: 20616457, member: 62637"]One Hit Wonder. And please don't go on about how many hits he had in the UK or anywhere else. We're dealing here with the Billboard Hot 1oo. Just putting it out there.[/QUOTE]

6. Dougd

Dougd Forum Resident

Good analysis.
    I pretty much agree, except for the last 2 songs you quoted.
    I can't immediately place them, though I'm sure I'd like them if I heard them.
    I've heard Candi and other Parliament songs.

Agree on Jefferson Starship. They were a big deal.

sunspot42 likes this.
  7. W.B.

W.B. The Collector's Collector

Though this is about the Number Ones on the Hot 100, it should be noted Ms. Staton's number topped NME's chart in Britain, and was in the Top 10 on the Official Charts over there.

Jrr, Grant and sunspot42 like this.
  8. sunspot42

sunspot42 Forum Resident

I'm always interested to hear when a single I thought should do better here did really well in the UK, especially when it's a US act.

9. WLL

WLL Popery Of Mopery

...There was s quite nice remake of that Candi song - by Kym Mayzelle? - on the soundtrack to that Leo DiCaprio ROMEO + JULIET, at the party scene IIRC.

10. Grant

Grant Life is a rock, but the radio rolled me!

The second single released after "Young Hearts Run Free" was "Run To Me". It was almost a carbon copy of the first hit single, but I always liked the 12" version:

Run To Me - Candi Staton

11. WLL

WLL Popery Of Mopery

...A single from a later album (I believe) of Ms. Staton's, " Victim ", got quite a bit of attention at the time too.
    I know she did a version of the Bee Gees' " Nights On Broadway " - now here she does another Gibb title-alike!:eek:

pablo fanques likes this.
  12. sunspot42

sunspot42 Forum Resident

Wow. Son of "Young Hearts, Run Free".

Jrr likes this.
  13. Wild Horse

Wild Horse Forum Resident

"Jeans On" sounds a little like Gilbert O'Sullivan of "Alone Again Naturally" fame.

14. Dougd

Dougd Forum Resident

Amazing Dave Dundas was a one hit wonder in the U.S.
    Given the quality of Jeans On, one would think he'd have at least another hit song in line.

pablo fanques likes this.
  15. Nipper

Nipper His Master's Voice

I just realized that I forgot to post on the end of 1975!

The very best #1 records of 1975:

"Fame" - David Bowie
    "Listen To What The Man Said" - Wings
    "One Of These Nights" - Eagles
    "Black Water" - The Doobie Brothers
    "Philadelphia Freedom" - Elton John Band

Others that I really like:

"You're No Good" - Linda Ronstadt
    "Get Down Tonight" - KC and The Sunshine Band
    "Sister Golden Hair" - America
    "Best Of My Love" - Eagles

For other 'songs that should have been #1', my top pick is "Lyin' Eyes". I'd also substitute "Junior's Farm" for "Lucy..." the week of Jan. 11, "Jackie Blue" for TO & Dawn the weeks of May 3 - 17, "I'm Not In Love" by 10cc for "The Hustle" the week of July 26, "Miracles" by Jefferson Starship for Sedaka the weeks of October 11 - 25. Also worthy of mention are John Lennon's "#9 Dream" (peaking at #9 of course), Ringo's "No No Song" (#3!), Bowie's "Young Americans" (#28), Queen's "Killer Queen" (#12), the Boss' "Born To Run" (#23), and War's "Low Rider" (#7).

---------------------
    Now to get with the program...

The very best #1 records of 1976:

"50 Ways To Leave Your Lover" - Paul Simon
    "Silly Love Songs" - Wings
    "Welcome Back" - John Sebastian
    "Rock'n Me" - Steve Miller Band

Others that I really like:

"You Should Be Dancing" - Bee Gees
    "Tonight's The Night (Gonna Be Alright)" - Rod Stewart

A pretty weak year at the top for the most part.

For other 'songs that should have been #1', my top pick is "The Wreck Of The Edmund Fitzgerald". I'd also substitute "Take It To The Limit" for the weeks of March 13 - 20, "Dream Weaver" for the weeks of March 27 - April 10, Wings' "Let 'Em In" the weeks of August 14 - 28, Boz Scaggs' "Lowdown" for the weeks of October 2 - 16, and Boston's "More Than A Feeling" for the week of December 25.

Also worthy of mention are ELO's "Evil Woman" (#10), The Who's "Squeeze Box" (#16), David Bowie's "Golden Years" (#10), Queen's "Bohemian Rhapsody" (#9), the Rolling Stones' "Fool To Cry" (#10), Fleetwood Mac's "Rhiannon" (#11), Steve Miller's "Take The Money And Run" (#11), Thin Lizzy's "The Boys Are Back In Town" (#12), Queen's "You're My Best Friend" (#16), Heart's Magic Man" (#9), BOC's "(Don't Fear) The Reaper" (#12), and Peter Frampton's "Do You Feel Like We Do" (#10).

I'll add some great reissues: Aerosmith's "Dream On" (#6), the Beatles' "Got To Get You Into My Life" (#7), and Hall & Oates' "She's Gone" (#7).

Last edited: Feb 16, 2019
    Jrr, Manapua and Cheevyjames like this.
  16. Manapua

Manapua Forum Resident

Nice, not a dud in the bunch. Well, okay maybe a couple but I wouldn't argue with 98% of this.

Jrr and Nipper like this.
  17. Jrr

Jrr Forum Resident

It’s funny about her song. I was indifferent to it until about a year ago. For some odd reason I heard it on one of my comp albums and all of a sudden I love it, but prior to that I’ve heard it a million times, but it was always just background music to me. It seems to be one of those songs everyone around here likes as well. Glad I “get it” now.

18. Manapua

Manapua Forum Resident

By the end of '76, most folks would have assumed Paul McCartney was the last Beatle standing and they wouldn't have been off the mark. Ringo's surprising chart performance had all but dried up by this point and John had retreated from making new music for the remainder of the decade. That left George to help Sir Paul carry the torch and even he seemed to have lost his muse. Being sued for supposedly ripping off He's So Fine for his own My Sweet Lord certainly didn't help. Ironically, it was that very lawsuit that fueled his return to the Hot 100 with one of his best Pop songs of the 70s that eschewed the spiritual for a little boogie woogie redemption.

19. W.B.

It is also one of those songs that producer/writer Dave Crawford wanted to make sure wasn't "background music."

Jrr likes this.
  20. W.B.

It was also his first for his own Dark Horse label which was now being distributed by Warner Bros.

21. John C Bradley Jr

John C Bradley Jr Forum Resident

I have no recollection of this song from the time but it was used within the past few years in a commercial for jeans and that's when I discovered it.

22. Grant

Grant Life is a rock, but the radio rolled me!

You know, I only ever heard this song about ten years ago! I thought an upcoming top ten single was his first Dark Horse release. It's cool that he poured his frustration over being sued for "My Sweet Lord" into "This Song". It, of course, wasn't the first time the "quiet Beatle" had used his music to vent his anger and frustration.

Tim 2, pablo fanques and Manapua like this.
  23. Victor/Victrola

Victor/Victrola Makng shure its write

This Song is really clever and the video is hilarious. It has an absurdity that reminds me of Benny Hill. It's no secret that Eric Idle was the guy who performed the ladies voices in one of the breaks. It's refreshing to hear George so upbeat again and making light of what must have been a very frustrating time in his life.

24. Hoover Factory

Hoover Factory Old Dude Who Knows Things

That’s from his 33 1/3 LP. I bought that LP because I liked “This Song” and “Crackerbox Palace.” It was the only George Harrison album I ever owned (not including “Best of”).

Damiano54 likes this.
  25. W.B.

The LP title was a double-pun - not only a reference to the speed of the record, but also his age as this was being produced.

Jrr and pablo fanques like this.