EVERY Billboard #1 hit discussion thread 1958-Present

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by alphanguy, Jan 29, 2016.

1. Manapua

Manapua Forum Resident

Well, we did right that wrong eventually but that would be a long jump!

2. AppleBonker

AppleBonker Forum Resident

It's all I can do to keep up with this thread, I don't have the bandwidth to follow any others! :) I must have missed when you all talked about Turn the Beat Around here; sometimes, the 'Go to first unread' skips posts for me. I usually realize when that happens and go back, but I must have missed it in that case. Believe me, I was looking for it!

Grant likes this.
  3. AppleBonker

I looked this up on YouTube and instantly recognized it. I would not have guessed it was the same singer. To be honest, I don't like it nearly as much as Get Right Back.

sunspot42 and Grant like this.
  4. Jrr

Jrr Forum Resident

Very different styles for sure. I like them both a lot, but I think objectively I have to agree with you, Right Back is just a better song that still holds up. I never hear Lead Me On ever.

sunspot42 likes this.
  5. AppleBonker

We had this one on a K-Tel collection. I don't think I ever heard it on the radio, but I listened to that record so many times that forty years later I knew every word.

6. Jrr

Jrr Forum Resident

Yup, a great song that’s very well produced and a single I was happy to buy. Sounded great on my very modest stereo too. As you correctly stayed, just a great radio friendly track. I have seen you reference Clice dumping The Fifth at least three times and maybe not just here. Just curious, did he do it some horrible way? I love their Greatest Hits On Earth album and play it often to this day. Why did they get dumped?

7. Jrr

Jrr Forum Resident

Her vocals just really lit up all their songs. For me not too many vocalists can do that. Diana Ross could also convey that when she wanted to. I wish Marilyn would have had a strong solo career in the 70’s if the Fifth wasn’t going to stay together anyway. That was a good time for it, I guess she just didn’t have all the right pieces in place to do so. The right producer could have taken her to the top in the mid 70’s imo.

Chief1970 and sunspot42 like this.
  8. Jrr

Jrr Forum Resident

I am tempted to get 331/3...how is the album as a whole? I have his greatest hits on vinyl and really enjoy all his solo hits, but I only have the album he did with Jeff Lynn (can’t believe I’m forgetting the title.. I play it a lot) plus the awesome Live In Japan, which I strongly suspect was overdubbed like crazy in the studio it’s so good. But, I own none of his 70’s regular albums at all.

9. AppleBonker

I always liked that line 'this tune has nothing bright about it'. Bright Tunes was the name of the company that sued George over My Sweet Lord. Cheeky fella!

In fifth grade, one of George's songs became a popular one among my classmates for a few months, but it was Crackerbox Palace, not This Song. At the time, I had no idea he was once part of the Beatles, but I would soon get hooked on the Fabs in a big way!

PS - is that Rutles songwriter Ron Nasty aka Neil Innes as the nanny at the start of the video? Yes, it is!

Last edited: Feb 20, 2019
    Chief1970 and Jrr like this.
  10. Grant

Grant Life is a rock, but the radio rolled me!

To talk about "Lead Me On" is also jumping ahead two years.

11. Grant

Grant Life is a rock, but the radio rolled me!

Apparently, he was angry because they refused to do songs that only focused on Marilyn McCoo. It seems to me he was laser-focused on making her a solo star. When he didn't get his way, he stopped a potential huge single that was climbing the charts dead in its tracks and terminated their contract. He's very vindictive.

Jrr likes this.
  12. AppleBonker

Wow, that surprised me, so I looked it up. According to Billboard.com, Rhapsody reached #2 in 1992 after the release of Wayne's World. Almost made it to #1, but not quite. It reached the charts a third time after the release of the biopic late last year, but the latest info I have is that it only got to 33.

If it did get to #1, I may have to come up with a different nominee! :cool:

13. Manapua

Manapua Forum Resident

Go to page 628 and read my post if you want to hear about it from producer John Florez.

Grant likes this.
  14. Hey Vinyl Man

Hey Vinyl Man Another bloody Yank down under...

It's possible Manapua was referring to the two #1 hits Queen did have, but that's still a pretty long jump.

15. tmoore

tmoore Forum Resident

Not sure if anyone else remembers -- no one else has mentioned it at least -- Marilyn McCoo and Billy Davis Jr. had a short-lived variety series in the summer of 1977.

My joke (at the time -- I was 10) was that one reason why the show failed was because of the title of the #1 song ("You Don't Have To Be A Star To Be In My Show").

From my perspective now, I know it was much more complicated than that -- this was likely a summer replacement show, and there are all sorts of politics with TV shows.

This song is one I heard a lot at the time, but I don't own it and it is not one that I think about at all at this point.

Witchy Woman likes this.
  16. tmoore

tmoore Forum Resident

I personally like his self-titled album from 1979.

Most people I have talked to over the years really love All Things Must Pass from 1970. I like it (own it), like (don't love) several tracks from it, but overall I like the 1979 album a little more.

The Jeff Lynne-produced album you are thinking of --- is most likely Cloud Nine.

Jrr and Grant like this.
  17. tmoore

tmoore Forum Resident

Before 1976 completely disappears from here, I will state that-- at this point --- my most remembered/favorite music from 1976 is the two Genesis albums "A Trick of the Tail" and "Wind and Wuthering". Of these two I like "Trick" a bit more than "Wind" -- I think "Trick" is stronger overall. But my favorite song off these two albums is one from "Wind" ---> "Blood on the Rooftops".

18. AppleBonker

It seems like everyone had a variety show in the late seventies. Most of them didn't last long. All the networks were searching for the next Sonny and Cher or Donny and Marie.

19. AppleBonker

You Don't Have to Be a Star

I like Marilyn McCoo and Billy Davis; it always seemed extremely fortuitous that the Fifth Dimension covered Wedding Bell Blues, considering the reluctant groom in that song is also named Bill and Marilyn sings it. They also seem like some of the nicest people in show biz.

But though I like them, this song is dull as dishwater. Inoffensive, but nothing special. I recall it on the radio at the time, but I don't think I've heard it once since the late seventies. It has completely disappeared, unlike so many of the other hits from this era.

I far prefer Marilyn rocking out in a mini-skirt in the Fifth Dimension, or her later gig on Solid Gold. I don't even remember her doing this song on that show, though she did cover several of her sixties classics. I'm sure she must have done it, but as I say, the song disappears from my mind seconds after hearing it, so that's likely what happened there.

Wild Horse likes this.
  20. Hoover Factory

Hoover Factory Old Dude Who Knows Things

I’m personally luke warm on Harrison’s solo LPs. IMO, they usually have 2 or 3 excellent songs and a lot of filler. That includes “All Things Must Pass” which I view as vastly over praised. That’s why I prefer the greatest hits compilations - no bad cuts. That being said, Harrison does have a small but devoted following who love everything he’s done. I had a high school friend who loved Harrison, owned everyone of his LPs and played them constantly.

Hey Vinyl Man and Jrr like this.
  21. Jrr

Jrr Forum Resident

I don’t know if there is a thread with this topic, but there should be, along the lines of “most risky song cut by a group”. This would have to be my nomination. I really feel they staked their entire reputation on this track as it was nothing like their previous songs and in fact is so “weird”, as someone else cited, that they really could have lost their fans. I have to believe there was some pushback by at least one band member. I know little about Queen, other than I hated them when I was much younger because my brother had the first couple of albums and would crank them up...I hated hard rock. But I turned around when I was around 15 and grew to like them and have a lot of their albums now. That said, I always liked the song but I wasn’t a fan of their’s either, until then, so I really don’t know how it played with their then current record buyers.

22. Jrr

Jrr Forum Resident

I knew you would know! Well, if nothing else it points to his huge ego (though I guess it’s deserved, though decisions based on that are usually detrimental to those it’s directed to). That’s the ultimate stupid business decision, stopping a single and effectively stalling the album sales as well. I don’t remember the Fifth Demension going under her name only, and if he was that bent on making her a solo star he could have worked on a solo album with her. He’s proven very adept at that. That sounds like a better reason for getting rid of a CEO, not for doing what he did over at Columbia...imo of course. So, he ended up ruining a group and potentially her career in the process, and ultimately lost them to ABC Records as we know.

And, my apologies for jumping the gun on Lead Me On. I didn’t think it hit the top or would be discussed again.

23. Jrr

Jrr Forum Resident

Thank you!

24. Jrr

Jrr Forum Resident

I guess this isn’t exactly a great endorsement for All Things...I do have that and forgot about it! I guess for people like you and I, the hits album is probably about all we need. I was kind of afraid people were going to tell me that. I say that because it’s fun to discover an album catelogue from someone you missed. I do love the Cloud Nine album, but I also understand that is from a completely different era and perspective being Lynn was involved. Also...yikes, I may get banned from the forum...I am not a big Beatles fan. Just like the hits, and for the most part the same is true of them as solo artists as well. But I do love almost all the hits all four came out with as soloists, and I do enjoy most of McCartney’s output.

Hoover Factory likes this.
  25. Dougd

Dougd Forum Resident

It's fine to discuss future songs, particularly if they're from an artist that, in the discussion, is presently having a No. 1 but won't in the future (or may have other No. 1s, but will have other big hits, no matter how far in the future).
    AFAIK, the other poster isn't a moderator on this forum (he doesn't get to call the shots), so his rules don't go.

Chief1970, SomeCallMeTim and Jrr like this.