EVERY Billboard #1 hit discussion thread 1958-Present

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by alphanguy, Jan 29, 2016.

1. bare trees

bare trees Senior Member

Never been a big fan of the song even as a kid. The pre-chorus ("You got me in a spin.") is decent though.

2. sunspot42

sunspot42 Forum Resident

If it ain't a #1 and it's in-context why wait?

Chief1970 and AppleBonker like this.
  3. sunspot42

sunspot42 Forum Resident

I had never heard that before, but it's certainly plausible.

4. Grant

Grant Life is a rock, but the radio rolled me!

Because it is out of context when you discuss it too early. Even if it isn't #1, it's still probably in the top 10 or 20. Why the impatience? Y'all got ADD or something?:D

5. Grant

He said it himself in an interview a few years ago.

6. Joey Self

Joey Self Red Forman's Sensitivity Guru

When "You Make Me Feel Like Dancing" was topping the charts, I was with G.L. I don't associate it with her at all.

Later, after hearing "When I Need You," I bought the album, and remember listening to it with the one after G.L., M.L (not the same last name). I've not heard ENDLESS FLIGHT in a long time--maybe close to 40 years now.

As for the song, it was OK then and now; I didn't buy the LP because of it, but getting another hit on the record was nice.

JcS

7. Hoover Factory

Hoover Factory Old Dude Who Knows Things

I had posted a few months ago how much I love “Shake Some Action” - probably my all time favorite tune, and I think it was easily the best song of 1976. We are starting to get to a point in time where there are a lot of great singles emerging from the punk & new wave genres, but they’re not getting radio airplay and not breaking through to the general music audience. That won’t change until 1979.

AppleBonker and pablo fanques like this.
  8. tmoore

tmoore Forum Resident

"Blood on the Rooftops" from Genesis -- didn't chart -- don't think it was released as a single -- it's not really "single" material.
    I thought this was a new song from them at this time. Phil Collins is the lead singer here.
    (FYI -- since we were at the end of 1976, I was talking about all 1976 music, not just singles)

The one song from "Wind" that may have been a single was "Your Own Special Way" but it did not make Top 40 -- although it sounds like it was written with "hit single" in mind.
    Genesis would not see Top 40 until 1978.

Last edited: Feb 21, 2019
  9. Hoover Factory

Hoover Factory Old Dude Who Knows Things

I could not stand Leo Sayer at all. To me, his voice sounded like nails on a chalkboard. Phooey!

10. tmoore

tmoore Forum Resident

This was right around the time I started listening to the radio on my own, as "You Make Me Feel Like Dancing" was all over the radio when that happened. I even recorded this on our portable cassette player (which had an external mike and so you had to be quiet). The song didn't stay on my cassette very long once I tired of it.

======

Speaking of portable cassette players, in this general timeframe (late '70s), my brother was recording a long (10 minutes, at least) classical piece from an LP using a portable cassette player (not electronically connected to the turntable, with open air mike). I'll never forget --- within the last minute of this classical piece, all of a sudden there was a unexpected flash of lightning and a subsequent roar of thunder. Upon playback you could hear the thunder on the recording. So he had to do it all over again. The thunder/lightning was a complete surprise -- I remember it being a rather nice day up to that point.

11. Wild Horse

Wild Horse Forum Resident

You Make Me Feel Like Dancing

It's an ear worm. Well produced, too. But, cheesy.

I prefer "Long Tall Glasses" by Sayer, anyway.

Now when are we getting to some good number ones? :D

Hoover Factory likes this.
  12. Wild Horse

Wild Horse Forum Resident

I love "Your Own Special Way". It's my favourite song on that album.

But, in reviews of the album it's always singled out as this aberration. Like "This is where Phil Collins first raised his ugly 80s musical persona head".

Nah, it's a great prog ballad.

pablo fanques likes this.
  13. Manapua

Manapua Forum Resident

Sigh. RIP Peter Tork. Like the group they were designed to compete with, we're down to two living members. My youth is disappearing.

Monkees - For Pete's Sake

14. tmoore

tmoore Forum Resident

I always point to More Fool Me and Mad Mad Moon as earlier examples of Phil Collins-sung ballads.
    I think Your Own Special Way was actually released as a single.

WRT this album -- Your Own Special Way is maybe my third favorite song. I definitely like One For the Vine and Blood on the Rooftops better, but that's about it.

15. pablo fanques

pablo fanques Somebody's Bad Handwroter In Memoriam

I have the ‘Your Own Special Way’ single on ATCO. Starts with the second verse like David Bowie’s ‘Heroes’ edit a year later. Always throws me off

daveidmarx likes this.
  16. pablo fanques

Pretty sure it was written by Mike Rutherford but yeah, Phil always gets singled out as the bad guy. Both Tony and Mike are quick to point out that they were 100% on board with the transformation and defend their later material to this day

daveidmarx and Wild Horse like this.
  17. pablo fanques

I'm attending the Mike and Micky rescheduled show at NYC's Beacon Theater on the 9th. This song will take on a whole new level of emotion that evening for sure, RIP Pete

daveidmarx and Manapua like this.
  18. Dougd

Dougd Forum Resident

That's when I first became aware of them, their Follow Me, Follow You, an excellent single.
    Skimming some of these boards here, I see that was the beginning of their "pop" phase, as they have a loyal following here who followed their earlier releases.

pablo fanques likes this.
  19. Dougd

Dougd Forum Resident

I like How Much Love (which charted at No. 17) and When I Need You, the latter is a great ballad.
    Long Tall Glasses (No. 9) is good, too.
    I really like Living in a Fantasy (Sayer's last chart hit, @ No. 23) and More Than I Can Say, a great one from the early 80s and also a remake of a Bobby Vee song, which was written by member of Buddy Holly's Crickets. More Than I Can Say made it to No.2.

Jrr and Wild Horse like this.
  20. Dougd

Dougd Forum Resident

The chart the week Leo Sayer's song topped the chart.

US Top 40 Singles Week Ending 15th January, 1977
    [​IMG] [​IMG]

TW LW TITLE Artist (Label)-Weeks on Chart (Peak To Date)

1 2 YOU MAKE ME FEEL LIKE DANCING –•– Leo Sayer (Warner Brothers)-13 (1 week at #1) (1)
    2 4 I WISH –•– Stevie Wonder (Tamla)-7 (2)

3 5 CAR WASH –•– Rose Royce (MCA)-13 (3)
    4 1 YOU DON’T HAVE TO BE A STAR (To Be In My Show) –•– Marilyn McCoo and Billy Davis, Jr. (ABC)-19 (1)
    5 7 DAZZ –•– Brick (Bang)-13 (5)
    6 3 TONIGHT’S THE NIGHT (Gonna Be Alright) –•– Rod Stewart (Warner Brothers)-16 (1)
    7 6 SORRY SEEMS TO BE THE HARDEST WORD –•– Elton John (Rocket)-10 (6)
    8 11 HOT LINE –•– The Sylvers (Capitol)-15 (8)
    9 9 AFTER THE LOVIN’ –•– Engelbert Humperdinck (Epic)-13 (9)
    10 10 STAND TALL –•– Burton Cummings (Portrait)-15 (10)

11 8 THE RUBBERBAND MAN –•– The Spinners (Atlantic)-19 (2)
    12 16 NEW KID IN TOWN –•– Eagles (Asylum)-5 (12)
    13 13 LIVIN’ THING –•– Electric Light Orchestra (United Artists)-13 (13)

14 20 WALK THIS WAY –•– Aerosmith (Columbia)-9 (14)
    15 17 SOMEBODY TO LOVE –•– Queen (Elektra)-8 (15)
    16 18 LOST WITHOUT YOUR LOVE –•– Bread (Elektra)-8 (16)

17 19 ENJOY YOURSELF –•– The Jacksons (Epic)-10 (17)
    18 14 LOVE ME –•– Yvonne Elliman (RSO)-16 (14)
    19 28 BLINDED BY THE LIGHT –•– Manfred Mann’s Earth Band (Warner Brothers)-9 (19)
    20 27 TORN BETWEEN TWO LOVERS –•– Mary MacGregor (Ariola America)-9 (20)

21 26 I LIKE DREAMIN’ –•– Kenny Nolan (20th Century)-11 (21)
    22 22 JEANS ON –•– David Dundas (Chrysalis)-15 (22)

23 23 SHAKE YOUR RUMP TO THE FUNK –•– The Bar-Kays (Mercury)-14 (23)
    24 24 SATURDAY NITE –•– Earth, Wind and Fire (Columbia)-9 (24)
    25 25 THIS SONG –•– George Harrison (Dark Horse)-9 (25)
    26 32 WEEKEND IN NEW ENGLAND –•– Barry Manilow (Arista)-8 (26)
    27 12 I NEVER CRY –•– Alice Cooper (Warner Brothers)-23 (12)
    28 35 FLY LIKE AN EAGLE –•– The Steve Miller Band (Capitol)-5 (28)
    29 15 MORE THAN A FEELING –•– Boston (Epic)-18 (5)
    30 30 WHISPERING / CHERCHEZ LA FEMME / SE SI BON (Medley) –•– Dr. Buzzard’s Original “Savannah” Band (RCA)-11 (30)

31 33 AIN’T NOTHING LIKE THE REAL THING –•– Donny and Marie Osmond (Polydor)-8 (31)
    32 21 MUSKRAT LOVE –•– The Captain and Tennille (A&M)-17 (4)
    33 41 HARD LUCK WOMAN –•– Kiss (Casablanca)-5 (33)
    34 36 DRIVIN’ WHEEL –•– Foghat (Bearsville)-8 (34)
    35 40 LOVE THEME FROM “A STAR IS BORN” (Evergreen) –•– Barbra Streisand (Columbia)-6 (35)
    36 49 NIGHT MOVES –•– Bob Seger (Capitol)-6 (36)
    37 29 NADIA’S THEME (The Young and the Restless) –•– Barry DeVorzon and Perry Botkin, Jr. (A&M)-21 (8)
    38 38 FREE BIRD (Live Version) –•– Lynyrd Skynyrd (MCA)-7 (38)
    39 34 NIGHTS ARE FOREVER WITHOUT YOU –•– England Dan and John Ford Coley (Big Tree)-15 (10)

40 31 LOVE SO RIGHT –•– Bee Gees (RSO)-18 (3)

THIS WEEK’S DROPS

51 37 KEEP ME CRYIN’ –•– Al Green (Hi)-13 (37)
    53 39 DO WHAT YOU WANT, BE WHAT YOU ARE –•– Daryl Hall and John Oates (RCA)-12 (39)

POWER PLAYS

41 56 DANCING QUEEN –•– Abba (Atlantic)-6 (41)
    42 43 I LIKE TO DO IT –•– K.C. and the Sunshine Band (T.K.)-7 (42)
    43 45 IT KEEPS YOU RUNNIN’ –•– The Doobie Brothers (Warner Brothers)-10 (43)
    44 44 SOMEONE TO LAY DOWN BESIDE ME –•– Linda Ronstadt (Asylum)-7 (44)
    45 55 SAVE IT FOR A RAINY DAY –•– Stephen Bishop (ABC)-6 (45)
    46 47 LIVING NEXT DOOR TO ALICE –•– Smokie (RSO)-7 (46)
    47 50 YOU’VE GOT ME RUNNIN’ –•– Gene Cotton (ABC)-7 (47)

48 48 DO IT TO MY MIND –•– Johnny Bristol (Atlantic)-8 (48)
    49 42 WHAT CAN I SAY – Boz Scaggs (Columbia)-9 (42)
    50 64 YEAR OF THE CAT –•– Al Stewart (Janus)-6 (50)

DEBUTS THIS WEEK

72 — BABY DON’T YOU KNOW –•– Wild Cherry (Epic)-1 (72)
    77 — DIS-GORILLA (Part 1) –•– Rick Dees and His Cast Of Idiots (RSO)-1 (77)
    84 — BOOGIE CHILD –•– Bee Gees (RSO)-1 (84)
    92 — I DON’T WANNA LOSE YOUR LOVE / FLOWERS –•– The Emotions (Columbia)-11 (51)
    96 — PIRATE –•– Cher (Warner Brothers)-1 (96)

21. sunspot42

sunspot42 Forum Resident

Changes are about to hit, as shown on that chart. I'm not gonna mention some of the biggest shifts there, because they're future #1's.

SORRY SEEMS TO BE THE HARDEST WORD –•– Elton John
    Elton's commercial fortunes were fading, but I always thought this was a beautiful, very adult cut and did well considering the frivolous bent of the charts at this time.

HOT LINE –•– The Sylvers
    I loved this one as a kid, had the single and everything. Total bubblegum, but I still think it's really well done.

STAND TALL –•– Burton Cummings
    The Canadian frontman of The Guess Who? finally had a solo hit. This thing was everywhere for awhile...and then it was gone...

NEW KID IN TOWN –•– Eagles
    Great cut, but just about the last hurrah for their Sweetheart of the Rodeo inspired, gently-rocking country/rock sound. They were about to head in a much harder-edged, darker direction. Usually that would be commercial suicide, but in their case it proved to be savvy counterprogramming.

LIVIN’ THING –•– Electric Light Orchestra
    I think people today forget just how huge ELO were during this period, '75 - '80 or so. Hit after hit after hit. They never topped the charts, but they sure as hell seemed to be on them continually. And their big goofy spaceship light shows were massive concert attractions.

WALK THIS WAY –•– Aerosmith
    No memory of this one from the time, but a remake of this would be a pivotal moment over a decade later in the establishment of rap and hip-hop as mainstream genres.

LOST WITHOUT YOUR LOVE –•– Bread
    Their Top 40 swan song. They'd been omnipresent from '70 - '72 before breaking up, and with this reunion success it looked like they might be staging a serious comeback. But tastes were changing, Bread weren't quite keeping up with the times, and interpersonal band politics promptly tore them apart again. Gates would have limited subsequent solo success shortly thereafter, but for the most part the toaster went dark after this for Bread.

LOVE ME –•– Yvonne Elliman
    The follow-up to Main Course, Children Of The World, would prove even more successful for the Bee Gees, and on top of that covers of their compositions started hitting for other artists, like this one. Another preview of things to come.

NIGHT MOVES –•– Bob Seger
    Oh man, this thing was enormous in Arizona. Definitely a preview of that "Americana" style of rock that other acts - like John Cougar and Bryan Adams - would continue charting with into the '90s. Seger, who'd been around for years, really seems to have created the template for that. It's not my favorite genre, but I think this cut is just epic. Always loved it. Another taste of things to come.

22. Grant

It's not often I concur with almost every word in your post, but you pretty much nailed this for me too! Except, I did hear "Walk This Way" on the radio. My local radio station had lost their popular nighttime top 40 DJ, and someone else stepped in in 1976 and started playing album-oriented rock until the station went to an automated top 40 format.

I really didn't care for "Night Moves" all that much when it was popular, but I never turned it off, either. I enjoy hearing it today.

pablo fanques and sunspot42 like this.
  23. Victor/Victrola

Victor/Victrola Makng shure its write

I'll pick one from the chart that I think is worthy of admiration:
    NIGHTS ARE FOREVER WITHOUT YOU –•– England Dan and John Ford Coley

A little bit country, a little bit rock and roll - I've always thought this was the best song from this duo. Good concise writing, a tune that matches the melancholy feel of the lyrics, great harmonies and an ending that sends chills down my spine.

sunspot42 likes this.
  24. W.B.

W.B. The Collector's Collector

I have a soft spot for its B side - "Showboat Gambler." Performed it on Bobby Goldsboro's syndicated show a year before they snared their Big Tree contract.

Victor/Victrola likes this.
  25. W.B.

W.B. The Collector's Collector

Of this batch, besides #1, I have: #2, 4 - 11, 14, 16, 20, 26 - 29, 35, 36, 39, 20, 45 and 84.

Chief1970 likes this.