EVERY Billboard #1 hit discussion thread 1958-Present

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by alphanguy, Jan 29, 2016.

1. sunspot42

sunspot42 Forum Resident

It wasn't the 8-year-olds who got Cassidy #2 into the #1 slot. Try 12-year-olds.

2. sunspot42

sunspot42 Forum Resident

Phenomenal cover. Those guys were really talented though, and that album of theirs was incredibly well produced. Striking early use of samplers in a not-particularly-experimental pop song.

Best single on that record wasn't even that one though, but "Promises, Promises", one of the great early hits of the MTV era.

Chief1970 likes this.
  3. Grant

Grant Life is a rock, but the radio rolled me!

You're scaring me! Don't be talkin' about little girls and that! You're gonna have the feds all up in here!

Witchy Woman likes this.
  4. Hey Vinyl Man

Hey Vinyl Man Another bloody Yank down under...

Fair point. Frankie Avalon was a decent trumpeter, too.

5. Mulderre

Mulderre 60s and 70s Music Lover

The days of the Osmonds were long gone. By '77, Punk was all over the place. Maybe in 1972-73, they were MASSIVE.

6. W.B.

W.B. The Collector's Collector

At least that was an original composition and not a mimeographed / ditto'd cover . . . (yes, I remember mimeograph machines from my youth, and the smell of rubbing alcohol when something was printed anew).

Hey Vinyl Man and pablo fanques like this.
  7. thecdguy

thecdguy Forum Resident

No complaints here about the Alan O' Day and Shaun Cassidy songs. Always liked them for what they were, laid-back 70's pop that wasn't meant to be anything but fun. I was 10 at the time, but I remember them well and they bring back great memories for me.

DRJOEL65, SomeCallMeTim and Grant like this.
  8. Grant

Punk was not all over the place here in the U.S., though. Disco was the thing that swept this country. If punk had any popularity in the U.S., it was concentrated in small pockets of New York and L.A.. But the days of the Osmond family was over by 1974, not counting Donny & Marie's T.V. show in the late 70s.

9. Dougd

Dougd Forum Resident

You got that right, though there are some (limited) exceptions.

John54 likes this.
  10. alphanguy

alphanguy Forum Resident Thread Starter

There was still plenty of stupidity around

11. Jmac1979

Jmac1979 Forum Resident

I think people are too harsh on Shaun Cassidy.

The 70s bubblegum isn't really my thing (though Hey Deanie and Our Night are both far better than DDRR), but then in 1980 he went deliciously weird with his contract (and career) filling Wasp album with Todd Rundgren where he suddenly was embracing new wave music. Too bad he quit after this, but I think it could've led to a more interesting 1980s career for him when he knew his teen idol days were over and was doing the music he actually was listening to at the time

DRJOEL65 likes this.
  12. Grant

But, it was fun stupidity. Music doesn't always have to be serious.

Hey Vinyl Man likes this.
  13. tmoore

tmoore Forum Resident

It depends how you feel about the juggernauts.

Hopefully there will be discussion about non-#1s. There should be plenty of "non-#1" Top 5 peak positions coming up.

Grant likes this.
  14. Manapua

Manapua Forum Resident

I enjoyed the Meri Wilson record for what it was, a goof. It wasn't high art or great Pop but it was sort of fun to hear on occasion and that music was swingin'. Hey la li la li, Just doin' my thing!

Hey Vinyl Man and Grant like this.
  15. Cheevyjames

Cheevyjames Forum Resident

Shaun Cassidy - Da Doo Ron Ron

I assume this dude was all over Tiger Beat and mags like that back in the day? Even the original version by the Crystals isn't that good. It's one of the lesser Girl Group songs from the early 60's. I know that 50's/early 60's nostalgia was a big marketing push back in the 70's so I guess it shouldn't surprise me that while Happy Days was going strong a "teen idol" would redo this song. My issue with it is that it's purely throwback nostalgia and the arrangers of the tune didn't even try to modernize it. This version is just a safe and boring cover, completely removing any bit of soul. It's not horrible, it's just terribly boring.

Grant, sunspot42 and Victor/Victrola like this.
  16. tmoore

tmoore Forum Resident

I'm not sure there was actually any overt connection between Happy Days popularity and Shaun Cassidy recording this song. Never heard of anything like that with respect to this cover. To me, the more likely answer is that Cassidy wanted to cover something that was already well-known, and was simple enough lyrically (and otherwise) for the "tweens". But I have no actual proof either way, this is just a gut feeling.

I don't remember what the Billboard Book of #1 Hits had to say about this song. Since I never cared very much about this cover, I have not read that page very closely.

Last edited: Apr 23, 2019
  17. Mulderre

Mulderre 60s and 70s Music Lover

Stupidity? Well, I can tell you there's nothing that 2 minutes of pure nonsense. Why bother with deep lyrics? Meri Wilson had a smash in both sides in the Atlantic.

Edit: I read somewhere that it is one of the few songs to chart in 3 US charts: Pop, Country AND R&B (!). Any instances of this happening?

Grant likes this.
  18. Manapua

Manapua Forum Resident

One of the more egregious chart action in '77, especially with DDRR sitting in the catbird seat, was ABBAs' follow-up to the smash hit Dancing Queen not even reaching the Top 10. I was certain DQ was the door opening to US chart dominance like in the rest of the world but this heavenly Pop tune stalled at #14. My God, it even had a fantastic flip side although I may be a little biased there.

Knowing Me, Knowing You

19. boyjohn

boyjohn Senior Member

Yes, quite a few times. In fact, Skeeter Davis "The End of the World" hit the top ten on all four charts (pop, country, r&b, easy listening)

Hey Vinyl Man, Grant and sunspot42 like this.
  20. thecdguy

thecdguy Forum Resident

I seem to remember it quoting him as saying that it (The Crystals' original) was the first recording he ever bought, so I suppose it's likely he covered it because he simply liked the song.

pablo fanques likes this.
  21. thecdguy

thecdguy Forum Resident

Didn't several of Elvis' early hits chart on Pop, Country and R&B? Plus, I think "We Are The World" charted on all 4 major singles charts (Pop, Country, R&B and Adult Contemporary) with it going to #1 on three out of four of those charts.

pablo fanques, Grant and sunspot42 like this.
  22. Jmac1979

Jmac1979 Forum Resident

Should've followed Dancing Queen to the top, but then again ABBA had six or seven songs that IMO should've been charttoppers here but weren't. Of course its easier given I actually wasn't even born until 1979 so I came into ABBA knowing their songs as "classics"

sunspot42 likes this.
  23. tmoore

tmoore Forum Resident

I was listening to radio pretty regularly at this point.

Not that I'm any great barometer for the whole country, but I remember not liking "Knowing Me Knowing You" as much as others I was hearing at the time. So it wasn't something I was going to buy.

24. Victor/Victrola

Victor/Victrola Makng shure its write

Knowing Me, Knowing You is one of ABBA's top songs. I'd go as far to say that it's a pop masterpiece. A concise lyric, a tune that fits the emotion and those layered harmonies push it over the top. Even my ABBA hating friends liked this one. Pop perfection.

25. boyjohn

boyjohn Senior Member

We Are the World hit #76 on the country chart, hit #1 on all the rest (wikipedia, says it hit #1 on the dance chart also, but I think this is an error)

It's hard to hit the top reaches of both the R&b and Country charts with the same song.

For a wild one, Peter Paul & Mary's "Puff the Magic Dragon" hit the top 10 on the R&B chart

Last edited: Apr 23, 2019
    Hey Vinyl Man and pablo fanques like this.