EVERY Billboard #1 hit discussion thread 1958-Present

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by alphanguy, Jan 29, 2016.

1. Witchy Woman

Witchy Woman Forum Resident

Maybe I’m not remembering this correctly but I’m pretty sure I heard this regularly on the country station. Maybe it had too much of a country feel—Jimmy Buffett has a voice for country music anyway, imo.

2. Witchy Woman

I still remember my sisters, friends and I being glued to the Hardy Boys episode where he sings this song. He was a really big deal at the time and I thought it was neat that he was following his big brother’s footsteps in show biz.

3. Witchy Woman

WTH??

Hey Vinyl Man and Grant like this.
  4. Manapua

Manapua Forum Resident

Oh yes, there was quite a bit of this sort of thing in the 60s and probably even before that.

5. sunspot42

sunspot42 Forum Resident

One of the great singles of the decade.

Yup. I wrote a bit about it a few weeks ago, when "Dancing Queen" was topping the charts...

EVERY Billboard #1 hit discussion thread 1958-Present

6. Cheevyjames

Cheevyjames Forum Resident

Ah, I didn't mean an overt line from Happy Days to Cassidy's hit, just a general feeling of nostalgia for that era during the 70's. I'm sure this was covered about 4 years ago with American Graffiti and other songs around that time period. Listening to De Doo Ron Ron just felt like a continuation for me. It makes sense he'd want to cover it since it was his first record as a kid.

7. Manapua

Manapua Forum Resident

I liked the flip as much as the A-side. I wonder why.

Grant likes this.
  8. W.B.

W.B. The Collector's Collector

It was #1 in Britain when "Dancing Queen" was #1 here. So Atlantic was behind the 8-ball with ABBA by one single.

9. Wild Horse

Wild Horse Forum Resident

Pretty sure he meant post-pubescent girls, and wasn't referring to my comment that it must have been 8 year olds that bought Shaun Cassidy records. Just teenyboppers in general.

You know, like the early Beatles phenomena with teenage girls.

sunspot42 likes this.
  10. Wild Horse

Wild Horse Forum Resident

A good punishment would be to be locked in a room with "Undercover Angel", "Da Doo Ron Ron" and "Telephone Man" on a loop. :laugh:

We need a good # 1 next. :agree:

"Knowing Me Knowing You" is a well produced and performed song, like most of Abba's 70s singles. Surprised it wasn't top 10.

sunspot42 likes this.
  11. Grant

Grant Life is a rock, but the radio rolled me!

I think Lionel Richie, Kenny Rogers, or The Pointer Sisters did this feat.

sunspot42 and Hey Vinyl Man like this.
  12. Grant

"Knowing Me Knowing You" was my first ABBA 45. To me, it presented a more mature side of the band, and, the song had an R&B feel, so it already met my first criteria.

Doesn't matter. That's sick! Who would even think to put those two things together?

Hey Vinyl Man likes this.
  13. ChrisScooter1

ChrisScooter1 Forum Resident

I thought Kenny Rogers' "Lady" (written by Lionel Richie) hit all three #1's (hot 100, country and R&B), but it was hot 100, country and adult contemporary. It hit #42 on the R&B chart. Still a remarkable crossover hit, especially considering the times.

14. ChrisScooter1

ChrisScooter1 Forum Resident

Ohhhhh, how I loved this song!! Still my favorite single from them. I was fascinated (still am) by the Supertramp inspired Wurlitzer/flanged/pre-delay plate verb sound on this track. The tenor echo'd vocals are brilliant and that dual lead guitar melody...ahhhhhhh....just puts me in my ear candy happy place. The bass line is also just a brilliant piece of pop composition.

Manapua and Grant like this.
  15. Grant

There was also a little disco song from a duo that consisted of two brothers Dick and Dan Addrisi who were also known for their T.V. show theme from "Nanny And The Professor". "Slow Dancin' Don't Turn Me On". I was going to post a clip of it but there seems that there isn't any good or correct versions up on YouTube. If they don't sound right, they are re-recordings.

So, here's a single by Andrea True Connection that was also on the chart at this time but didn't get far. Again, Gregg Diamond offered his services:

N.Y., You Got Me Dancing - Andrea True Connection

My styrene domestic pressing of the Buddah 45 has much more bass and sounds cleaner.

16. John54

John54 Senior Member

Knowing Me Knowing You was my favourite Abba song for a long time. I think When All is Said and Done has overtaken it lately but it's still very near the top.

17. Hoover Factory

Hoover Factory Old Dude Who Knows Things

Great song, probably my favorite by ABBA

18. Hoover Factory

Hoover Factory Old Dude Who Knows Things

That’s exactly right. 1977 may be the “Year of Punk” in the UK, but it didn’t break through in the US. Disco, reignited by “Saturday Night Fever” was about to dominate.

Grant likes this.
  19. tommy-thewho

tommy-thewho Senior Member

Knowing Me is one of my fav. ABBA songs.

Had a maturity to it.

Grant and Jrr like this.
  20. pablo fanques

pablo fanques Somebody's Bad Handwroter In Memoriam

Wow I had NO idea Shaun covered his obscure Who Classic. It’s very faithful even. I may just have to add this to my collection. Nice post!

daveidmarx likes this.
  21. W.B.

From what I gather, Shaun in this period was under the spell of Mike Curb's longtime associate Michael Lloyd (this was a Warner/Curb release, after all) . . . that may explain a lot of why he covered what he did . . .

pablo fanques likes this.
  22. W.B.

That has been cited as one of the first examples from them of a lurking darkness hiding beneath the sunny veneer of their music . . .

tommy-thewho and Grant like this.
  23. tmoore

tmoore Forum Resident

I was 10 at this point in time -- more subtle themes of darkness, and problems in relationships, were still a little beyond my comprehension at this point.

This is a good example of what I've been saying for a long time.
    I did live through all of the '70s, and remember almost all of them, but I didn't "live" them the way many of you did.
    The couple/several/whatever difference years in age between us is a large gap when you're talking the difference between 10 and 16.

Grant likes this.
  24. Grant

The generation gaps have made for interesting, sometimes a bit contentious, discussions, though.

25. Manapua

Manapua Forum Resident

Lol. I was 23 so that gap was more like a chasm.