EVERY Billboard #1 hit discussion thread 1958-Present

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by alphanguy, Jan 29, 2016.

1. Hoover Factory

Hoover Factory Old Dude Who Knows Things

A bit of trivia - A Taste of Honey won the Grammy Award for “Best New Artist.” Who were some of the other nominees? The Cars and Elvis Costello. I’m a huge EC fan, so that always annoyed me.

That being said, “Boogie Oogie Oogie” is a great record, one of the best Number 1 records of 1978. It’s got a fabulous dance groove and I much prefer it to the Gibb brothers’ offerings that were dominating the radio.

sunspot42, SomeCallMeTim and Grant like this.
  2. W.B.

W.B. The Collector's Collector

The "long" version I've heard had a keyboard solo that sounded very similar, to my ears, to that on a number by the Village People called "My Roommate," a section of which was heard on ads later in this year for 107.5 WBLS in New York (with Les Marshak on voiceover; the keyboard heard on that one is at the very start):

But count me in, on "Boogie Oogie Oogie," as preferring the single edit meself.

3. Hey Vinyl Man

Hey Vinyl Man Another bloody Yank down under...

Not my style, but a great performance and a catchy tune. Easy to see why it was a hit.

sunspot42 likes this.
  4. Lance LaSalle

Lance LaSalle Prince of Swollen Sinus

Gorgeous single, Boogie-00gie-oogie.

sunspot42 and bartels76 like this.
  5. Victor/Victrola

Victor/Victrola Makng shure its write

Boogie Oogie Oogie is good for what it is, but it's not one of my favorites of the year. Not a bad record, just not my thing.

6. tmoore

tmoore Forum Resident

It is one of my favorite #1s of the year.
    Never knew there were different edits, so I guess by default I was hearing the single edit on the radio.

sunspot42 likes this.
  7. bare trees

bare trees Senior Member

It's fine for what it is. It's a simple song that's meant to get you out on the dance floor.

8. Cheevyjames

Cheevyjames Forum Resident

A Taste of Honey - Boogie Oogie Oogie

Love the vibe on the intro, esp. with the fretless bass. The groove is simple, but that bass line is great and it's solid. Great chorus of vocals on the chorus. The song is simple, but it's done really well and I have a blast listening to it.

The video was really interesting. I guess the Solid Gold producers liked showing the same clips over and over. Then again, it had the Solid Gold Dancers!

9. Grant

Grant Life is a rock, but the radio rolled me!

I do like the album length but just not the extra vocals. I need to get Spectral Layers so I can remove them myself.

If you hear the whole album, you'll hear that they liked very long fades. I like that too.

10. alphanguy

alphanguy Forum Resident Thread Starter

Entering the top 10 during this time is the only US top 10 hit for Australian Teen idol John Paul Young.

11. bartels76

bartels76 Forum Hall Of Fame

This was one of my first favorite songs as a kid. This and Last Dance. I was only 2 at the time but I picked up and remembered music very quickly.

ChristopherTeuma likes this.
  12. tommy-thewho

tommy-thewho Senior Member

Love Boogie..

Love Solid Gold dancers

13. alphanguy

It should be mentioned that "Love Is In the Air" was sitting at #1 on the AC chart during this time.

Grant likes this.
  14. WLL

WLL Popery Of Mopery

...If this hasn't come up already, NY band GQ (" Disco Nights ") had a. version of " Boogie Oogie Oogie " at the same time that was the B-side of " DN " and on their album, IIRC. The story:confused:?

15. sunspot42

sunspot42 Forum Resident

They sounded just like Chic to me - that intricate groove driven by the bass and rhythm guitar, and the laid back female vocals layered over it. They had to have been influenced by Chic's recent hits.

I have their greatest hits package. I was hoping I'd really like it, but while I didn't dislike it, nothing else besides their other hit single really stuck. I love that cover, maybe more than "Boogie, Oogie, Oogie"...

16. sunspot42

sunspot42 Forum Resident

I always got "Love Boat Theme" vibes from this one, and it sounds a year or two older than 1978. But I gotta admit, I kinda like it in all of its laid back, polyester leisure suit, disco sleaze glory.

17. WLL

WLL Popery Of Mopery

...I remember at that ATOH's G. Hits LP-length album issued in the immediate aftermath of their breakup contained BOO and their other hit from that LPin contemporary remixes!:eek:

18. Grant

Love this song! Love that tambourine! And, for the longest time, I kept confusing his name with John Paul Jones of Led Zeppelin.

pablo fanques likes this.
  19. Grant

You jumped way ahead!:realmad: The GQ song wouldn't come out until the spring of the next year.

20. Grant

:unhunh: I'm not arguing with your opinion, but I have been a Chic fan since day one, had their first album, knew everything they recorded inside and out, and no way did A Taste Of Honey sound anything like Chic. Now, in another year, we will start to hear about a slew of artists who imitated Chic. Some were so convincing that you would think they were Chic!

21. AppleBonker

AppleBonker Forum Resident

You're welcome:

PS - Claude Akins' character Sheriff Lobo later on got his own spinoff show. Yes, I watched that abomination regularly as well as BJ and the Bear. Two more shows that were part of the same trend that also spawned the song Convoy, which we talked about a few months ago...

Last edited: Jun 14, 2019
  22. SITKOL'76

SITKOL'76 Forum Resident

This is probably the best #1 hits we've had this year so far. A+ from start to finish and it's right up my alley. Sometimes the best music, is the music you can lose your mind dancing to.

23. W.B.

W.B. The Collector's Collector

Wouldn't he also be confused, in a few years' time, with another singer with two of his names that had a few hits?

But "Love Is In The Air," I seem to recall it was the first big hit for the Scotti Brothers label.

Grant likes this.
  24. alphanguy

His only chart hit up until this in the US had been in 1975, and that song stalled at #42... but it was a considerably different style of music.

25. tmoore

tmoore Forum Resident

One of my favorite songs of the year had been released in May, and got to #12. I presume it had peaked by the time we are at now (September).

Life's Been Good -- Joe Walsh

I know there is a 45 edit and a much longer album edit.
    I think I prefer the album edit overall, but I think the middle instrumental section in it goes a little too long.

I remember wondering what was meant by the lyric "I go to parties sometimes until 4 ---- it's hard to leave when you can't find the door".