EVERY Billboard #1 rhythm & blues hit discussion thread

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by tomstockman, Mar 4, 2016.

1. Grant

Grant Life is a rock, but the radio rolled me!

"Then Came You" hit #1 in the fall of 1974. She released five singles under the name "Warwicke" after that on Warner Brothers Records before she removed the "e" in 1975.

pablo fanques likes this.
  2. Grant

Time for a new one? I think so.

Do You Get Enough Love - Shirley Jones Week ending August 16, 1986 2 weeks

Unless David and Shaun Cassidy's mom spent way too much time under the tanning lamp at the spa, this Shirley Jones bears no resemblance to her. :)

This is my first-time reaction hearing this song or her voice. She sounds strikingly Sheila Hutchinson from The Emotions. And, the way her multitracked vocals are done, she sounds like all three of those sisters.

The lyrics sound a little too direct for this song to work well. But, what do I know? It went to #1 for two weeks. The song sounds like it's right out of the 70s, and something I should probably add to my collection just because.

3. sunspot42

sunspot42 Forum Resident

Kinda rambly. Bit dated. Her vocal is nice. I'm shocked this got to #1, let alone for 2 weeks.

4. W.B.

W.B. The Collector's Collector

I was just about to say . . . doesn't even sound like Mama Partridge, vocally . . .

Grant likes this.
  5. Grant

No love for Shirley Jones, either. Man what a hard audience!

Next #1:

Love Zone - Billy Ocean August 30, 1986 1 week

6. sunspot42

sunspot42 Forum Resident

This was a Top 10 pop hit for Billy but I have no memory of it at all. I was just starting college at this time so I wasn't paying much attention to the charts or listening to the radio at all. It's pretty Lionel Richie, although as I've said before, Billy is a better singer.

Very, very '80s with those keyboards.

Inoffensive but not particularly memorable. I'm kinda shocked it charted as high as it did - I think we forget just how big Billy was, at least for a year or two.

7. W.B.

This one, I definitely have more memory of than the prior, for sure.

8. Grant

After listening to this song again in about 30 years, i've decided that it isn't so bad after all. I just hate the programmed drums. Better than Lionel Richie!

pablo fanques and sunspot42 like this.
  9. Grant

I bought both CDs as they came out, but rarely ever played the "Love Zone" CD.

10. W.B.

I did hear "Love Zone" now and then "at the time," though. Hardly anyone plays it today, though.

sunspot42 likes this.
  11. Grant

I listened to a lot of top 40 radio every night at work by this time. Just about everything that hit the charts for the next two years I heard there, if I hadn't bought the CDs.

I was buying a lot of new-title CDs.

12. pablo fanques

pablo fanques Somebody's Bad Handwroter In Memoriam

Completely forgot about this one until seeing it posted here. I knew he had more hits coming but this one didn’t stick in the memory bank. I have a feeling it will be departing again soon enough

sunspot42 likes this.
  13. sunspot42

sunspot42 Forum Resident

I've already forgotten it entirely.

14. W.B.

Geez, I've known the title for years, and every so often actually heard it, and . . .

15. Grant

Shall I post the next one? Sure I should!

New #1:

Ain't Nothin' Goin' On But The Rent - Gwen Guthrie Week ending September 6, 1986, 1 wk

Willow and pablo fanques like this.
  16. pablo fanques

pablo fanques Somebody's Bad Handwroter In Memoriam

YES! Now we’re talking. Gotta love that shout out to Billy Preston’s ‘Nothin From Nothin’ too. Killer track

Grant likes this.
  17. W.B.

Oh, do I 'member this one. Covered the period after I left high school but before I got a steady job.

18. sunspot42

sunspot42 Forum Resident

Along with Janet's "Nasty" and "What Have You Done For Me Lately" - and an upcoming number by a former Shalimar member - this song helped define a whole new attitude for women in the late '80s.

You got to have a J-O-B if you wanna be with me.

Utah Saints sampled this - plus a whole lotta Annie Lennox from "There Must Be An Angel" - for their '91 hit "What Can You Do For Me":

In a pretty stark contrast between pop star personalities, when they sampled Kate Bush for their '92 single "Something Good" lawsuits were threatened. When they sampled Annie Lennox, she hired them to remix cuts from her '92 album Diva...

:shrug:

19. Grant

I don't remember this one at all. I remember it being mentioned a lot by the music critics, but I guess it just didn't get played out here.

20. Grant

I know which one you're talking about. She left Shalamar first.

21. W.B.

Yeah, does sound like it. Sounds like there was still a semblance of that "East-West" divide as to what music was played. I see comments to that effect on the "other" thread too. Me, I heard it a lot.

Grant likes this.
  22. W.B.

As it's been over a week since the last #1, let's see if anyone'll remember this one . . .
    "(Pop, Pop, Pop, Pop) Goes My Mind" by LeVert
    (#1 for 1 week - September 13, 1986)

There is one record by them I vividly remember to this day. This ain't it.

A second-generation R&B act, with two sons of a key member of the O'Jays.

23. sunspot42

sunspot42 Forum Resident

No memory of this one at all. The video screams "cheap". They couldn't even be arsed to properly light it. The grooving chick in the background is laughable, and so are the guys' dance moves. Lordy.

Generic mid-'80s slow jam.

24. Grant

I was waiting for the other thread to catch up. :)

Gerald Levert was a very fine singer, but the music of his group is terrible.

25. Grant

I agree, but remember that record labels still didn't give most R&B artists much of a budget for videos. They still couldn't count on MTV playing their songs, and BET didn't have a big enough audience for many cable systems to even carry the channel.