EVERY Billboard #1 rhythm & blues hit discussion thread

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by tomstockman, Mar 4, 2016.

1. tomstockman

tomstockman Well-Known Member Thread Starter

2. John B Good

John B Good Forum Hall Of Fame

Joe Jackson covered this!

devildavid likes this.
  3. Mechanical Man

Mechanical Man I Am Just a Mops

Interesting thread. My Billboard R&B #1s collection only goes back to 1945 starting with Joe Liggins' "The Honeydripper", so we'll have to get to that point before I can contribute much, but I'll keep following along!

4. tomstockman

Good to have you!

5. tomstockman

Been busy so haven't gotten a chance to post much (that's why the last single was so late!)

Neat song, though, and I'd never heard of Louis Jordan but it turns out he's the #3 most successful r&b chart artist in history, with 18 #1 hits. This is the first...

6. tomstockman

One thing this thread has done for me is introduce me to a lot of good compilations... whenever I find these tracks on Spotify they're usually attached to a greatest hits or a box set of period music and so I'm actually getting a more comprehensive view of this music than just the singles would provide, it's been neat. This track, for example, introduced me to Louis Jordan, and now I'm bookmarking a box set of his later singles. Earlier I was introduced to a "Definitive R&B" series that covered 1939-1943. Etc.

7. Grant

Grant Life is a rock, but the radio rolled me!

I confess a current lack of interest in early R&B. I'm just waiting for it to get to the late 50s.

zebop likes this.
  8. tomstockman

Larry Mc likes this.
  9. tomstockman

This is Nat King Cole's first hit. The role of jazz in these early r&b records is neat to me - Dizzy Gillespie, Billie Holiday, and now Nat King Cole have all showed up. Our first blues was a very jazzy take on the blues - yet we've never seen a straight jazz record. Does anyone know about the role of singles in the history of early jazz, anyways? I sure don't.

10. tomstockman

11. tomstockman

I used to think I knew a little about the roots of rock and roll but after being confronted with not knowing who Louis Jordan is and looking him up...

After Aretha Franklin and Stevie Wonder, Louis Jordan is the third most successful singles artists in the history of Billboard's rhythm and blues charts. He's also credited as the fifth most successful black artist of the 20th century. In terms of most weeks at the #1 spot on the rhythm and blues charts, however, Louis Jordan is still #1, with 113 weeks. One of Jordan's songs gave its title to a Bob Dylan song and its riff to Johnny B. Goode! Chuck Berry, Little Richard, and James Brown have all variously claimed that without Louis Jordan they would either have never recorded or have been entirely different types of musicians.... I knew nothing.

shutdown66 likes this.
  12. tomstockman

Right now we've moved onto Nat King Cole of course but I'm still in awe of not knowing who Louis Jordan was so I had to make one more post about it...

Hey Vinyl Man likes this.
  13. John B Good

From You Tube

Another I don't think I've heard before. But I like some of this relaxing music. Some people here on the Forum know a lot about Mr Cole. I had been under the impression he became a vocalist only later in his career.

fingerpoppin likes this.
  14. tim_neely

tim_neely Forum Hall Of Fame

The King Cole Trio 78 was recorded during his last session with Decca, on October 22, 1941. Although recorded long before the deadline, this single was probably another that was held back from release to create the illusion of a steady stream of new music during the recording ban. Any time new music was released during the musicians union strike, labels had to confirm that the sides were recorded before August 1, 1942.

Decca's 8000 numbering series was euphemistically called the "Sepia Series." It continued until the end of 1945, when it was superseded by the 48000 series.

15. tomstockman

16. tomstockman

This is our first record that was recorded during the recording ban, and so the musicians used a false band name to hide their identities as union musicians. This was the only hit Bonnie "the Oomph Girl" Davis (b. Melba Smith) ever recorded - and as the third ever release issued by Savoy records this is also credited as the foundation record of that label's success. The group were paid $75 for the hit, ~$1000 today. Ms. Davies would eventually marry the piano player you're hearing on the record, and they would record together until their divorce in the mid 1970s. Shortly after, Bonnie would pass away.

Hear it: Don't Stop Now »

17. tomstockman

The piano player I mentioned, Clem Moorman, seems like a pretty interesting guy as well. The last report I've found of him was from March 20th, 2015, where he said he was still playing piano publicly in restaurants and at church, at the age of 99! His most recent record was issued when he was 97 years old, "Live at Martha's": Live At Martha's (feat. Clem Moorman) »

Clem must be 100 years old now, so here's to his health!

danasgoodstuff likes this.
  18. John B Good

This one sounds like it could be from the Bessie Smith era.

19. tomstockman

Oh no, looks like I skipped one! I'll post it now and leave these two up, and then move on from both tomorrow! Don't want to mess with our forward momentum after all..

So I present:
    • February 13: "Apollo Jump" — Lucky Millinder and His Orchestra (2 weeks) - DECCA 18529
    This one's actually a b-side! And our first 'repeat offender', as Lucky had a hit in 1942 with "When the Lights Go On Again". The a-side on this track featured the same vocalist that that one had, but the b-side is an instrumental. Not sure if Dizzy Gillespie is back - but since this was recorded before the strike, it could be from the same period in the band's life. The word is that Lucky himself actually didn't play any instruments, nor could he read music! His fame as a bandleader came from his ear and his networking, essentially, as he was known for finding hot talent and signing them up to his group - and Dizzy Gillespie certainly counts as hot! Hear it: Apollo Jump »

20. John B Good

It could be interesting to know a bit about The Apollo.

21. tomstockman

I don't know anything about the Apollo! Come to think I haven't even heard James Brown's Live at the Apollo! Maybe I'm a disgrace :hide:

22. John B Good

I was thinking of that title as I typed :)

Actually for a young fellow, you're showing great depth of interest :) Must admit, like Grant, I don't know much about the period the thread is presently focused on. I'm sure interest will grow as it reaches later periods.

Grant likes this.
  23. tim_neely

tim_neely Forum Hall Of Fame

Clem has his own Facebook page. He's still alive and kicking; he still plays piano once a month or so at the Cortina Ristorante in Paterson, N.J., most recently as of this typing on Feb. 19, 2016. He will turn 100 on March 20. Oh yes, his daughter is a singer, too - Melba Moore.

Dean R likes this.
  24. tomstockman

Larry Mc likes this.
  25. drasil

drasil Former Resident

thanks for doing this thread. I have to admit my affinity for this early stuff is much higher than the concurrent music coming out of the hot 100 thread. I'm in for the long haul.

also, I love the ink spots, so it looks like I came in at the right time.

(also, Louis Jordan rules. it's really exciting that you're just discovering him.)