EVERY Billboard #1 rhythm & blues hit discussion thread

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by tomstockman, Mar 4, 2016.

1. tomstockman

tomstockman Well-Known Member Thread Starter

the last three hits (including this one) have been more of the status quo: nice little big band songs, in the pop-leaning style of the early 40s

2. John B Good

John B Good Forum Hall Of Fame

Great sad blue ballad. I'm surprised I've never heard of it before - I can imagine The Platters may have sung it?

3. tomstockman

Nat King Cole's final entry in this thread, after this his #1 hits will all be on the pop charts!

4. John B Good

5. tomstockman

sorry for the delays - been more like every 2 or 3 days...

today's hit, the last one of 1944, is a pretty big one:

6. John B Good

Very nice little song. It doesn't have that opening that so many Inkspot songs have - Ella doesn't start until a 1 minute or so in.

7. dmiller458

dmiller458 Forum Resident

Who's gonna do the country chart?

8. tomstockman

9. tomstockman

This week's hit is the final #1 from the "Harlem Hit Parade" - after that we're moving on to the "Juke Box Race Records"!

John B Good likes this.
  10. John B Good

Don't know the song. I've heard Eddie Vinsons' singing before, he's pretty raw on this one.

11. John B Good

Lot's of interesting music on this thread, Tom, I hope more posters will chime in!

12. Grant

Grant Life is a rock, but the radio rolled me!

I think you should pick this up in 1959.

13. John B Good

Looking on Google for what was the source of these hits, I see many interesting songs ahead, long before 1959

A few examples - Choo Chooe Boogie in 1946, Good Rockin' Tonight in 1948 (that one was good enough for Elvis), Trouble Blues 1949, Lawdy Miss Clawdy 1952, Rip It Up 1956, Lonely Teardrops 1958.

I'd be willing to adopt the thread if the OP is willing?

Hey Vinyl Man likes this.
  14. Grant

I do too, but, 1959 is simply arbitrary. And, it kind of catches up to the rock & roll thread. However, 1959 is when both Stax Records and Motown Records were established.

Despite your relative lack of interest in pop music after around 1973, are you sure? Otherwise, I say go ahead!

15. John B Good

Maybe I can pass it on to you then, young fellow :)

(I PMd Tom, but no reply yet)

Grant likes this.
  16. John B Good

Tom (the OP) is off-duty for awhile but doesn't mind seeing the thread carry on.

Next up is soulful ballad called I Wonder, that appeared as Number 1, by 2 different performers. Cecil Gant was Number 1 for 2 weeks, then Roosevelt Sykes, for 7 more!

«I Wonder» - Roosevelt Sykes »

I'd call that a good 'late night' number.

17. John B Good

I’ve decided to accelerate the thread a little bit - in some cases by covering 2 hits per post, and in some cases, simply skip hits that were not R&B in any sense, even if they did sell well in Harlem.

Terming the great variety of music we have already seen in this thread as R&B reminds us that these categories evolve and have very different meanings to different decades,

The next 2 Youtube clips were Number Ones in April 1945. Both are rather good-timey sounding

Louis Jordan - Mop Mop »

The latter is by Louis Jordan, it was only number 1 for a week.

With VE Day approaching (the end of war in Europe), maybe people were starting to enjoy more jumping music?

18. Grant

Since R&B is such a subjective thing, I wouldn't skip any songs.

19. zebop

zebop Well Known Stranger

I think that's a great idea.

20. John B Good

Next up : 3 songs that occupied Number 1 from middle to end of 1945

1. Caldonia by Louis Jordan and his Tympani 5

I first heard that song on a BB King album in the 60s or 70s. What a great name for a girl!

2. Who Threw the Whiskey in the Well by Lucky Millender and his Orchestra

1945 HITS ARCHIVE: Who Threw The Whiskey In The Well? - Lucky Millinder (Wynonie Harris, vocal) »

I’ve never heard that one before. The video says the vocalist is Wynonie Harris, who recorded Good Rockin’ Tonight, later recorded by Elvis :)

3. The Honeydripper by Joe Liggins and his Honeydrippers

The Honeydripper Parts 1 & 2 -Joe Liggins »

Have to say I’ve heard many instrumental versions of The Honeydripper and have never been moved by it, it just seems very indistinct. To me the title suggest something more languorous or sensuous.

BTW that’s where the name of that 80s group The Honeydrippers came from. It’s really interesting to see the connections musicians make with the past, even when the fans may not care.

21. John B Good

22. John B Good

Three wonderful songs take us nearly to the end of 1946

The Gypsy, by the Inkspots. Can't help but wonder if The Impressions didn’t like this song

Next, "Stone Cold Dead in the Market (He Had It Coming)" — Ella Fitzgerald and Louis Jordan and His Tympany Five. What a great song title!

I really didn’t know what to expect when I went to Youtube to get this. A Frankie and Johnny Number? Turns out to be Caribbean style.

Ella Fitzgerald & Louis Jordan - Stone Cold Dead In The Market (He Had It Coming) »

Next, another long stayer on the charts from Louis Jordan - the well known Choo Choo Ch’Boogie

Choo Choo Ch'boogie - Louis Jordan »

He ruled the charts in those days! Makes me wonder what the best Louis Jordan collection on cd might be?

Hey Vinyl Man likes this.
  23. Grant

I think he's ignoring us.

zebop likes this.
  24. zebop

zebop Well Known Stranger

I think so.

25. John B Good

Over in the other thread on Billboard Number 1 hits we conversed a bit about that and I said about this thread that "But I was enjoying discovery of those classic from the 40s enough to hope that it might get carried on from the mid 40s and through the 50s (I'm slightly more familiar with the 50s era myself.)" EVERY Billboard #1 hit discussion thread 1958-Present » Post 668

So when I got a go-ahead to take over this thread (from Tom Stockman who was having computer difficulties) I wanted to carry it on. Sorry if the music so far is not to your taste but in a few weeks I will have brought it up to the 1959 period where as you say, Motown began to have an influence.

Dean R likes this.