Every Dark Star (Grateful Dead)

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by bzfgt, Aug 4, 2020.

1. jalexander

jalexander Forum Resident

I’m a Dead newbie. Have the late 60s live album, Red Rocks, and Cornell. Cornell is my fave of the three. Always wanted to get exposure to Dark Star. I think I lean toward the spacier side of the Dead.

2. SJR

SJR Big Boss Man

Woah! Strap yerselves in, as this is gonna be one long, strange trip!

3. Archtop

Archtop Soft Dead Crimson Cow

First of all, what's the assignment? You posted a partial sente...I'm assuming it's along the lines of the first 12 versions or so (through the end of March 1968, before the tape hiatus (and no Dark Stars in the few tapes we have until August)) are anywhere from 5-9 (most closer to 5) minutes long, so how can we reasonably expedite those?

Regarding the Dark Star theme, I was thinking of posting: Da.........^Da.........Da.Day.Ah.Da..Da.Di, but then realized that would be just plain silly. :nyah:

4. zakyfarms

zakyfarms White cane lying in a gutter in the lane.

Anyone care to join for my spinoff thread, Every version of Me & My Uncle?

5. US Blues

US Blues Undermining Consensus Reality

Pull up a virtual chair and enjoy the consciousness lubrication of your choice. :wave:

ianuaditis and Oliver like this.
  6. Coltrane811

Coltrane811 Forum Resident

This should be fun then. I would stream Dicks Picks 2 (10/31/71) real quick just to get an idea.

audiotom, uzn007, ARK and 4 others like this.
  7. Crosseyed

Crosseyed help I'm a rock

In viola lee blues I hear an incantation - an ode to a love supreme. This version reminds me that dark star is a meditation on a riff played over and over again like an endless waterfall. When I close my eyes I see a premonition of the acid dropper in the nehru jacket featured in the march 1968 carousel poster done by the artist Steve Catron.

trd, adamos, budwhite and 3 others like this.
  8. bzfgt

bzfgt The Grand High Exalted Mystic Ruler Thread Starter

That was just leftover text from when you don't post something. I was going to put the outtake but then thought maybe I was going too fast.

9. US Blues

US Blues Undermining Consensus Reality

Maybe you had too much too fast...

10. jmadad

jmadad Forum Resident

It would give me yet another chance to say how much I like the 4/24/78 version (Dave’s 7)....

11. Harp Of Glass

Harp Of Glass Forum Resident

12. Archtop

I did the same thing last night!

bzfgt and Oliver like this.
  13. Oliver

Oliver Bourbon Infused

Sitting here In the Dark due to a power outage streaming some live Dead off YT. 8/4/76 Roosevelt Stadium. First watch. Sippin’ a bit of medium to bottom shelf bourbon.

14. Oliver

Oliver Bourbon Infused

Oops wrong thread! However count me in as interested regarding Dark Star :)

PhoffiFozz, US Blues, SJR and 3 others like this.
  15. bzfgt

bzfgt The Grand High Exalted Mystic Ruler Thread Starter

Wow no power up there? I got none here either

ianuaditis and Oliver like this.
  16. Oliver

Oliver Bourbon Infused

Nope down since 6pm. A relatively weak storm for us to lose power considering we almost never lose it even in worse conditions.
    Wondering if @Archtop is out too as he’s not that far from me.

bzfgt and Archtop like this.
  17. Archtop

It was relatively weak here other than a few good gusts of 35-40 mph winds, but there was some serious stuff moving through Fitchburg/Leominster around 5 PM. The warnings were not "possible damage" but "damage will occur..." No outages here, although I charged things and unplugged where necessary for a couple of hours.

For those of you wondering, Leominster is not pronounced Leo-min-ster; it's lemmonsta.

The more you know:

Last edited: Aug 4, 2020
    trumpet sounds, ARK, US Blues and 3 others like this.
  18. Oliver

Oliver Bourbon Infused

That is correct lol.
    Thankfully I charged everything up. Not feeling power until at least tomorrow.

So I abandoned the above video and have been listening to Viola Lee Blues 9/3/67 in regards to Dark Star. A rockin’ version where near the end Jerry almost plays the Dark Star riff in every conceivable way but the “right” one.

bzfgt, ianuaditis and Archtop like this.
  19. I love the sheer Deadheaded craziness of this idea. Count me in.

PhoffiFozz, SGR, GerryO and 9 others like this.
  20. Archtop

In retrospect, it's absolutely insane, which is probably why we have so many takers. I just hope that I'm still around when we get through this.
    I'd bet that you mean DiP 31, which is 8/4-8/6/74, but I'll give you the benefit of the doubt.

Last edited: Aug 4, 2020
  21. Oliver

Oliver Bourbon Infused

Just listened to the studio Dark Star. Probably have only listened to it a few times ever and not in a long time. To me it really has this closed in, in your head sound especially due to the mostly dry, non reverbed harmony vocals that drift in and out. Amazing how expansive in time and space the song would evolve into.

Listening through headphones btw.

22. ianuaditis

ianuaditis Matthew 21:17

I was all over Western Mass today and I saw at least 10 trees that had been standing at 1 PM but in the road at 530PM. Power is also out all over down here, though not at my house. Quite a few trees entirely uprooted, which I can't say I've seen too often.

Someone must have planted some ice.

Archtop, Billy_Sunday, ARK and 4 others like this.
  23. budwhite

budwhite Climb the mountains and get their good tidings.

Jerry was (often) a great editor of Hunter's words.

WaterLemon, bzfgt and US Blues like this.
  24. Mike burgess

Mike burgess Forum Resident

Looking forward to this. Is there a definitive list as to when every DS was played?

bzfgt likes this.
  25. notesofachord

notesofachord Riding down the river in an old canoe

I absolutely adore the mono 45rpm single version of Dark Star. For me, it’s one of the great songs of the 1960s San Francisco scene.

Yes, it is a song, first and foremost, before it became a jam vehicle.