Every episode of The Dick van Dyke Show, ranked

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by KevinP, Jan 7, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. KevinP

KevinP Forum introvert Thread Starter

Every The Dick Van Dyke Show Episode, Ranked

I do not agree entirely with the list. The worst episode should be 'The Bad Old Days,' which even DvD has called a turkey and which has aged horribly.

The first season had several episodes made before the acting started informing how the characters should be written. Episode 2: Rob is absolutely paranoid about his job. Episode 3: Laura is highly insecure about their marriage. Episode 4: Rob and Laura suddenly compete to fix Sally up with a date despite knowing her for years. Jerry is an absolute a**hole with no redeeming qualities at first. etc.

Episodes revolving around guest stars we never see again are also (usually) among my least favourite. The list puts 'Uncle George' at the very bottom, and I agree it's down there, though I'd put 'Jilting the Jilter' and 'Racy Tracy Rattigan' even lower.

Episodes I'd rank higher: 'Who and Where Was Antonio Stradivarius'. It's a very exaggerated premise, and one that was (or would be) a sitcom cliche, but they handle it very realistically, although the resolution is rather rushed.
    Also 'Baby Fat.' I really only appreciated this one as an adult.

2. cwitt1980

cwitt1980 Senior Member

I've been in the mood for Dick Van Dyke. Is it streaming anywhere? I know I've watched the first few seasons in full before, but it's been awhile so I can't personally rank them at this time.

3. KevinP

I'm physical media here, so I can't answer that, but maybe someone else can?

4. mr. steak

mr. steak Forum Resident

Its on Hulu. Watched a bunch while down with the flu last week.

5. jkauff

jkauff Senior Member

What are this guy's credentials to "rank" the episodes of a classic TV comedy series? Why should I care what he thinks is #1?

Carl Reiner's still hanging in there at age 96. Let's get his rankings of best to worst. Better yet, just have him pick the top 10.

6. Jack Lord

Jack Lord Forum Resident

Either Amazon or Netflix. I showed my kid the episode where Rob buys the sports car (Tarantula) last week.

7. jason88cubs

jason88cubs Forum Resident

I watched this 2 years ago

Great show, plan on doing it again sometime

8. JozefK

JozefK Forum Resident

38. “Buddy Sorrell, Man and Boy” (Season 5, Episode 22)
    81. “The Gunslinger” (Season 5, Episode 31)

top 10

9. Ignatius

Ignatius Forum Resident

"Laura, listen to the tone of my voice."

10. Michael

Michael I LOVE WIDE S-T-E-R-E-O!

I find no need to rank this. I enjoyed them all...plus we all see comedy differently.

Ignatius likes this.
  11. JozefK

JozefK Forum Resident

Top 10 Post

mr. steak and Michael like this.
  12. GodShifter

GodShifter Forum Member

The one where he falls over the Ottoman is funny.

Not funny is sleeping in a separate bed from Mary Tyler Moore.

Dummy.

13. Michael

Michael I LOVE WIDE S-T-E-R-E-O!

: )

14. troggy

troggy Papa-Oom-Mow-Mow

My 15 year-old kid is a big fan of the show and has been for several years. He even pulls them up on Netflix or somewhere.

15. Ghostworld

Ghostworld Senior Member

There’s one retired writer not feeling bad about making a hundred bucks for a 20 page article. Who the hell else sits down and says to them selves: “I think I’ll rank all 151 episodes of the Dick Van Dyke show.”. I got a feeling this guy is selling off the book he couldn’t get published.

16. KevinP

People have ranked every Beatles song and every Rolling Stones song online. It's not any different.

17. Jason Manley

Jason Manley Senior Member

19. “Obnoxious, Offensive, Egomaniac, Etc.” (Season 5, Episode 26)

My personal favorite.

"Bald headed fink"

18. a customer

a customer Forum Resident

The last couple of episodes were outstanding. The one about the western dream is incredible. They said later they thought they had run out of ideas but they could have almost become like carol brunett or snl doing satires etc of famous movies. They also had made the decision to quit the show and move on.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.