Every UK #1 Single of 1970 Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Yam Graham, Dec 5, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Randoms

Randoms Aerie Faerie Nonsense

[​IMG]

Absolutely brilliant song, arrangement and singing. To this day, every time I hear this I get goosebumps.

Once again I "borrowed" the record from my Dad, this being one of the last singles he bought, but he was on it in early 1970! He was a big Simon & Garfunkel fan and owned Wednesday Morning, 3AM, Parsley, Sage , Rosemary & Thyme and Greatest Hits (which I still have), but not the Bridge Over Troubled Water LP.

My love of Simon & Garfunkel obviously came from my father and seeing them at Wembley stadium in 1982 was an incredible experience.

2. Randoms

From the sublime (#1) to the ridiculous (#31). I haven't heard Gimme Dat Ding in years, but once heard never forgotten!

plentyofjamjars67 and CliffL like this.
  3. Randoms

CliffL likes this.
  4. duggan

duggan Senior Member

Fantastic performance of Bridge at that concert, Garfunkel's performance was justly, and very loudly, applauded by the crowd.

Last edited: Dec 15, 2018
    Randoms likes this.
  5. W.B.

W.B. The Collector's Collector

And here are the labels for the U.S. release, courtesy Columbia's Pitman, NJ plant:
    [​IMG] [​IMG]

cut to the chase likes this.
  6. W.B.

Aside from #1, also among the 45's in my collection from this chart are #4, 9, 15, 22, 23, 31, 33, 37, 40, 41, 45, 46, 48 and 50. In a future thread, I'll be examining some of the U.S. labels that hadn't been looked at before.

7. W.B.

Ms. Hopkin's newie didn't even see a U.S. release until 1972:
    [​IMG]
    Nilsson's "Everybody's Talkin' " became a hit upon its inclusion in the 1969 film Midnight Cowboy. But at that time, in the States it was put out in stereo. I have the original 45, from 1968, with a dedicated mono mix and as it disappeared down the proverbial rabbit hole "back then":
    [​IMG]
    In the U.S., Frijid Pink's cover of Alan Price's arrangement of "The House Of The Rising Sun" saw release on Tom Jones' and Engelbert Humperdinck's Stateside home, Parrot:
    [​IMG]
    The Pipkins' record (which would become notable in later years as being part of a four-song medley that accompanied many a high-speed silent sketch on The Benny Hill Show) was released in the States on Capitol:
    [​IMG]
    And my favorite rendition of "Both Sides Now" as by Judy Collins, was issued as a single on U.S. Elektra EK-45639 in 1968, one year after the release of the LP it came from, Wildflowers (EKL-4012/EKS-74012). Despite the stereo notice on the label, the U.S. 45 is very much mono. And also note the misspelling on arranger Joshua Rifkin's surname.
    [​IMG]
    (The U.S. B side for Ms. Collins' single was "Who Knows Where The Time Goes," written by a favourite of some Forumites - Sandy Denny.)

Last edited: Dec 15, 2018
  8. kaztor

kaztor Music is the Best

Never want to hear it, period.

9. Randoms

That Alan Price writing credit made him a lot of money and caused resentment in the band, particularly with guitarist Hilton Valentine.

Hilton was asked about this in an interview in 2006.

Within a year of forming, “House of the Rising Sun” catapaulted The Animals onto the world stage as part of the British Invasion along with The Beatles and Rolling Stones. When did you first become aware of that tune?

HV: Bob Dylan’s version was the one I first heard. But Eric [Burdon] had heard the Josh White version. Bob Dylan got his version from Dave Van Ronk. In that [Martin] Scorsese PBS special on Dylan, it sort of explained the whole folk scene where Pete Seeger would play “Turn, Turn, Turn" and people would say, “Hey, you’re stealin’ from The Byrds,” and then Dylan would do “House of the Rising Sun” and people would accuse him of stealing it from The Animals. [Laughs]

There’s been a lot of controversy about who actually created the Animals' arrangement for "House of the Rising Sun", which is credited to Alan Price. Care to shed any light on this?

HV: Basically, we all sort of chipped in to arrange it, but I think it was Chas Chandler who said that if anyone should have gotten the royalties, it should have been me. But what happened was that as we started rehearsing it, I was coming up with my arpeggio bit [the famous Am-C-D-F chord sequence] and Alan Price said to me, "Can you play something different because that is so corny?" So I told him, "You play your damn keyboard and I'll play me guitar!" Then, after a few rehearsals, he started playing my riff and we recorded it.

Our manager, Mike Jeffrey, came down and said that since the song was in the public domain, we needed to credit an arranger. He said that we couldn’t put all of our names on the record because it wouldn’t fit, so he just put Alan's name on it saying it’s understood that the royalties will be shared among everyone. We were all so gullible then we just believed that we would get our share. But we never put anything in writing and to this day, only Pricey has been getting royalties on it. And if you talk to him now, he’s actually convinced himself that it was he who actually arranged it.

For a lot of learner guitarists, myself included, House Of The Rising Sun is a song you wanted to play - the arpeggiated guitar intro is that well known and possibly the reason beginners keep practicing the F chord and steady up / down arpeggios.

I have a lot of sympathy for Hilton.

It is a shame that the start of this iconic video has been covered, but it stilo shows the the primary role of Hikton's famous Am C D F Am E Am E arpeggios.

10. Yam Graham

Yam Graham 2023 Thread Starter

Re: The Pipkins - Gimme Dat Ding
    I'll need to look it up, but I think Andy Scott of Sweet was in The Pipkins briefly!!!
    There's some footage knocking about on Youtube somewhere.....

Randoms likes this.
  11. Randoms

Thank you for posting this.

I obviously knew that Judy had recorded Joni's Both Sides Now, but until now hadn't realised that her stunning rendition was the one I remember from my childhood. The only Judy Collins I own was her beautiful version of Send In The Clowns, so as a Christmas present for myself, I am ordering this.

Judy Collins - The Very Best Of Judy Collins

I also didn't know that Judy had recorded Who Knows Where The Time Goes?, but pleased that it is included on that comp. together with Both Sides Now, Amazing Grace and Send In The Clowns.

Sandy Denny was a favourite of mine way before I joined this forum, and I'm sure most will know her beautifully written and sung song, but here is a reminder of why she is rightly a forum favourite.

Northernlight likes this.
  12. Randoms

@Yam Graham, I found this from Wiki.

Gimme Dat Ding is a split album by The Sweet (side one) and The Pipkins (side two), released on EMI's budget record label, MFP (Music For Pleasure) in 1970. It is named after the 1970 song "Gimme Dat Ding" by the Pipkins.

Side one was given over to (then) fledgling pop band the Sweet and features the A and B-sides of what were three commercially unsuccessful singles (on Parlophone Records) before the band finally found fame with "Funny Funny" released by RCA Records. Despite the cover shot of The Sweet featuring Andy Scott, he was not actually a band member until "Funny Funny" and does not feature on any of these recordings. The band's then-guitarist was Mick Stewart (who replaced original guitarist Frank Torpey) and wrote two of the featured B-sides on this compilation.

Side one The Sweet
    1. "Lollipop Man" (Albert Hammond, Mike Hazlewood)
    2. "Time" (Brian Connolly, Steve Priest, Mick Stewart, Mick Tucker)
    3. "All You'll Ever Get from Me" (Roger Cook, Roger Greenaway)
    4. "The Juicer" (Mick Stewart)
    5. "Get on the Line" (Jeff Barry, Andy Kim)
    6. "Mr. McGallagher" (Mick Stewart)
    • Tracks 1, 2 produced by John Burgess; tracks 3-6 produced by John Burgess and Roger Easterby
    • Lew Warburton - arranger, conductor on "Get on the Line"
    Side two The Pipkins
    1. "Here Come De Kins"
    2. "Sunny Honey Girl" (Roger Cook, John Goodison, Roger Greenaway, Tony Hiller)
    3. "Busy Line" (Murray Semos, Frank Stanton)
    4. "Yakety Yak" (Jerry Leiber, Mike Stoller)
    5. "Gimme Dat Ding" (Albert Hammond, Mike Hazlewood)
    6. "The People Dat You Wanna Phone Ya!" (Albert Hammond, Mike Hazlewood)
    7. "My Baby Loves Lovin'" (Roger Cook, Roger Greenaway)
    8. "Are You Cookin Goose?"
    9. "You Cant Go Wrong"
    10. "All You'll Ever Get From Me"
    • Produced by John Burgess
    • Big Jim Sullivan - arranger, conductor on "Gimme Dat Ding"
    • Gerry Butler - arranger, conductor (tracks 2-6)
    I had no idea that Gimme Dat Ding had such an impressive writing team and arranger behind it - impressive! I see that Albert Hammond and Mike Hazelwood also wrote a song for The Sweet: every day is a learning day.....

That may explain that for all the cheesy qualities, it is an absolute ear worm.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Dec 16, 2018
    Yam Graham likes this.
  13. Mulderre

Mulderre 60s and 70s Music Lover

From here, My Baby Loves Me was already a hit by White Plains and Sunny Honey Girl was a hit jn the making by Cliff Richard (it was in 1971). And what is this of having the same song by the two bands in the same record?

Randoms likes this.
  14. cut to the chase

cut to the chase Forum Resident

The last 90 seconds of 'Bridge Over Troubled Water' are absolutely epic, some of the best music ever recorded.

mark winstanley likes this.
  15. cut to the chase

cut to the chase Forum Resident

The 2nd and 3rd week at number one:

Week Ending 04 April 1970
    (weeks on chart - chart position the week before - chart position)
    07 - 01 - 01 - Simon And Garfunkel - BRIDGE OVER TROUBLED WATER
    02 - 07 - 02 - Mary Hopkin - KNOCK KNOCK WHO'S THERE
    04 - 03 - 03 - Andy Williams - CAN'T HELP FALLING IN LOVE
    09 - 02 - 04 - Lee Marvin / Clint Eastwood - WAND'RIN' STAR / TALK TO THE TREES
    04 - 06 - 05 - Bob And Marcia - YOUNG, GIFTED AND BLACK
    06 - 05 - 06 - Pickettywitch - THAT SAME OLD FEELING
    04 - 04 - 07 - Beatles - LET IT BE
    09 - 11 - 08 - Kenny Rogers And The First Edition - SOMETHING'S BURNING
    05 - 08 - 09 - Dave Clark Five - EVERYBODY GET TOGETHER
    06 - 09 - 10 - Elvis Presley - DON'T CRY DADDY
    10 - 10 - 11 - Steam - NA NA HEY HEY KISS HIM GOODBYE
    10 - 12 - 12 - Jackson Five - I WANT YOU BACK
    1 - NEW - 13 - Dana - ALL KINDS OF EVERYTHING
    06 - 18 - 14 - Jimmy Ruffin - FAREWELL IS A LONELY SOUND
    03 - 33 - 15 - Norman Greenbaum - SPIRIT IN THE SKY
    09 - 13 - 16 - Herman's Hermits - YEARS MAY COME AND YEARS MAY GO
    03 - 22 - 17 - Four Tops - I CAN'T HELP MYSELF
    06 - 20 - 18 - Joe Dolan - YOU'RE SUCH A GOOD LOOKING WOMAN
    05 - 29 - 19 - Juicy Lucy - WHO DO YOU LOVE
    12 - 14 - 20 - Canned Heat - LET'S WORK TOGETHER
    02 - 31 - 21 - Pipkins - GIMME DAT DING
    04 - 26 - 22 - Cufflinks - WHEN JULIE COMES AROUND
    12 - 16 - 23 - Sacha Distel - RAINDROPS KEEP FALLIN' ON MY HEAD
    07 - 15 - 24 - John Lennon And Yoko Ono With The Plastic Ono Band - INSTANT KARMA
    20 - 24 - 25 - Rolf Harris - TWO LITTLE BOYS
    08 - 17 - 26 - Brotherhood Of Man - UNITED WE STAND
    11 - 19 - 27 - Edison Lighthouse - LOVE GROWS (WHERE MY ROSEMARY GROWS)
    11 - 28 - 28 - Boris Gardiner - ELIZABETHAN REGGAE
    12 - 23 - 29 - Peter, Paul And Mary - LEAVIN' ON A JET PLANE
    07 - 32 - 30 - Dorothy Squires - TILL
    07 - 25 - 31 - Cliff Richard And Hank Marvin - JOY OF LIVING
    03 - 35 - 32 - Jim Reeves - NOBODY'S FOOL
    02 - 42 - 33 - Radha Krishna Temple - GOVINDA
    09 - 21 - 34 - White Plains - MY BABY LOVES LOVIN'
    1 - NEW - 35 - Creedence Clearwater Revival - TRAVELLIN' BAND
    04 - 30 - 36 - Des O'Connor - I'LL GO ON HOPING
    02 - 36 - 37 - Blue Mink - GOOD MORNING FREEDOM
    10 - 34 - 38 - Mary Hopkin - TEMMA HARBOUR
    02 - 46 - 39 - Stevie Wonder - NEVER HAD A DREAM COME TRUE
    02 - 48 - 40 - Frijid Pink - HOUSE OF THE RISING SUN
    08 - 27 - 41 - Rare Bird - SYMPATHY
    03 - 39 - 42 - Tremeloes - BY THE WAY
    14 - 45 - 43 - Nilsson - EVERYBODY'S TALKIN'
    03 - 43 - 44 - Diana Ross And The Supremes With The Temptations - WHY (MUST WE FALL IN LOVE)
    26 - 41 - 45 - Archies - SUGAR SUGAR
    04 - 38 - 46 - Gene Pitney - A STREET CALLED HOPE
    1 - NEW - 47 - Band - RAG MAMA RAG
    1 - NEW - 48 - Who - THE SEEKER
    04 - 47 - 49 - Dave Dee - MY WOMAN'S MAN
    1 - NEW - 50 - Clodagh Rodgers - EVERYBODY GO HOME THE PARTY'S OVER

Week Ending 11 April 1970
    (weeks on chart - chart position the week before - chart position)
    08 - 01 - 01 - Simon And Garfunkel - BRIDGE OVER TROUBLED WATER
    02 - 13 - 02 - Dana - ALL KINDS OF EVERYTHING
    05 - 03 - 03 - Andy Williams - CAN'T HELP FALLING IN LOVE
    03 - 02 - 04 - Mary Hopkin - KNOCK KNOCK WHO'S THERE
    10 - 04 - 05 - Lee Marvin / Clint Eastwood - WAND'RIN' STAR / TALK TO THE TREES
    04 - 15 - 06 - Norman Greenbaum - SPIRIT IN THE SKY
    07 - 06 - 07 - Pickettywitch - THAT SAME OLD FEELING
    05 - 05 - 08 - Bob And Marcia - YOUNG, GIFTED AND BLACK
    10 - 08 - 09 - Kenny Rogers And The First Edition - SOMETHING'S BURNING
    03 - 21 - 10 - Pipkins - GIMME DAT DING
    05 - 07 - 11 - Beatles - LET IT BE
    04 - 17 - 12 - Four Tops - I CAN'T HELP MYSELF
    07 - 14 - 13 - Jimmy Ruffin - FAREWELL IS A LONELY SOUND
    07 - 10 - 14 - Elvis Presley - DON'T CRY DADDY
    06 - 09 - 15 - Dave Clark Five - EVERYBODY GET TOGETHER
    05 - 22 - 16 - Cufflinks - WHEN JULIE COMES AROUND
    07 - 18 - 17 - Joe Dolan - YOU'RE SUCH A GOOD LOOKING WOMAN
    11 - 11 - 18 - Steam - NA NA HEY HEY KISS HIM GOODBYE
    03 - 39 - 19 - Stevie Wonder - NEVER HAD A DREAM COME TRUE
    11 - 12 - 20 - Jackson Five - I WANT YOU BACK
    03 - 37 - 21 - Blue Mink - GOOD MORNING FREEDOM
    10 - 16 - 22 - Herman's Hermits - YEARS MAY COME AND YEARS MAY GO
    03 - 33 - 23 - Radha Krishna Temple - GOVINDA
    13 - 20 - 24 - Canned Heat - LET'S WORK TOGETHER
    06 - 19 - 25 - Juicy Lucy - WHO DO YOU LOVE
    13 - 23 - 26 - Sacha Distel - RAINDROPS KEEP FALLIN' ON MY HEAD
    02 - 35 - 27 - Creedence Clearwater Revival - TRAVELLIN' BAND
    12 - 27 - 28 - Edison Lighthouse - LOVE GROWS (WHERE MY ROSEMARY GROWS)
    13 - 29 - 29 - Peter, Paul And Mary - LEAVIN' ON A JET PLANE
    21 - 25 - 30 - Rolf Harris - TWO LITTLE BOYS
    10 - 34 - 31 - White Plains - MY BABY LOVES LOVIN'
    08 - 31 - 32 - Cliff Richard And Hank Marvin - JOY OF LIVING
    02 - 47 - 33 - Band - RAG MAMA RAG
    04 - 44 - 34 - Diana Ross And The Supremes And The Temptations - WHY (MUST WE FALL IN LOVE)
    04 - 42 - 35 - Tremeloes - BY THE WAY
    09 - 26 - 36 - Brotherhood Of Man - UNITED WE STAND
    08 - 30 - 37 - Dorothy Squires - TILL
    08 - 24 - 38 - John Lennon And Yoko Ono With The Plastic Ono Band - INSTANT KARMA
    03 - 40 - 39 - Frijid Pink - HOUSE OF THE RISING SUN
    05 - 36 - 40 - Des O'Connor - I'LL GO ON HOPING
    1 - NEW - 41 - Rufus Thomas - DO THE FUNKY CHICKEN
    04 - 32 - 42 - Jim Reeves - NOBODY'S FOOL
    49 - RE - 43 - Frank Sinatra - MY WAY
    12 - 28 - 44 - Boris Gardiner - ELIZABETHAN REGGAE
    1 - NEW - 45 - Roger Whittaker - I DON'T BELIEVE IN IF ANYMORE
    02 - 48 - 46 - Who - THE SEEKER
    02 - 50 - 47 - Clodagh Rodgers - EVERYBODY GO HOME THE PARTY'S OVER
    05 - 46 - 48 - Gene Pitney - A STREET CALLED HOPE
    15 - 43 - 49 - Nilsson - EVERYBODY'S TALKIN'
    11 - 38 - 50 - Mary Hopkin - TEMMA HARBOUR

Randoms likes this.
  16. Hollow Horse

Hollow Horse To pretend to be happy could only be idiocy

I love the climax to this and seasonally on-topic it is right up there with Lake's "I Believe In Father Christmas" - such a fantastic finale.

cut to the chase and Randoms like this.
  17. W.B.

In the U.S., "BOTW" was #1 for 6 weeks - and was the number one song of the year. Besides that, the 45's from these charts I have (all due apologies for this attempt to keep everything simple) are:
    #7-11, #10-14, #15-6, #17-12, #21-10, #24-38 (and its [We All Shine On] subtitle in the States), #29-29, #35-27 (in the States, a double-sided hit, the other being "Who'll Stop The Rain"), #39-19, #40-39, #43-49, #45-/ and #/-41.

The date of the last chart is of significance because that was the day Paul McCartney officially announced the breakup of The Beatles.

The DC5 number saw no U.S. issue on Epic, showing how far their fortunes had fallen in the States.

Randoms likes this.
  18. W.B.

As for this topper, you haven't heard it unless you heard it in mono. That mix is quite different in the end, especially the way the strings are mixed.

Randoms likes this.
  19. W.B.

Sheesh! It didn't occur to either the band or their manager to have "House's" credit laid out as "Arr. The Animals"?

Randoms likes this.
  20. Randoms

In this top four you have the winner and runner-up of the 1970 Eurovision Song Contest. The then 18 year old Dana, won it for Ireland and Mary Hopkin came second: I remember watching it - my mother could be very cruel! Competing for Spain, was a certain Julio Iglesias.

For a bit of the Eurovision experience, here is Dana.

For those who want more: Eurovision Song Contest 1970 - Whole Contest Enjoy!

Trying to understand the rules of Eurovision is impossible, my geography is admittedly poor, but I was taught that Israel is in Asia and recently, Australia took part. The last time the UK won the competition it was with an American singer, the Canadian Céline Dion won it singing for Switzerland, though of course Olivia Newton-John is English.

duggan likes this.
  21. Randoms

Keep that single safe in case Paul Simon orders that is to be destroyed!

22. Classicrock

Classicrock Senior Member

Most annoyed the Dana crap outdid Hopkin's crap song. :)

Randoms likes this.
  23. Randoms

That would have worked, but I guess they simply hadn't realised what a big deal that credit would be, and certainly not how massive the song would become.

A different version I heard from a Geordie at work who doesn't normally invent stories, was that Alan Price was the last one left in the studio when the question of credits arose. Either way he did rather well out if it, and the other band members lost out big time.

24. Classicrock

Classicrock Senior Member

It does beg the question as to why they didn't pursue legal action later when the earnings became apparent? It's amazing how clueless musicians could be back then apart from the ones who got the credits.

25. Randoms

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.