Every UK #1 Single of 1970 Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Yam Graham, Dec 5, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Classicrock

Classicrock Senior Member

There are a lot of good singles in that chart, just a few real duds. Album charts at this time were spectacularly great. A fair smattering of MOR in both to spoil the picture. I forgot how big Nana Mouskouri was!

Last edited: Dec 16, 2018
  2. W.B.

W.B. The Collector's Collector

Why I am holding off on my own observations of this record at this time will become quite obvious in due time.

3. W.B.

Now, about the group that had scored with "United We Stand" - this was the lineup as of that hit:
    [​IMG]
    Clockwise, from top left: Tony Burrows, Sue Glover, Roger Greenaway, John Goodison and Sunny Leslie. This was Brotherhood of Man MkI.

On the 1976 thread right now is a discussion of an entirely different lineup using the name (with their behind-the-scenes manager and producer Tony Hiller being the only constant), with their #1 Eurovision winning "Save Your Kisses For Me." First off, unlike with Sue and Sunny (as they would come to be collectively known after their years with BOM were over), there were two different lasses named Stevens (Sandra the blonde and Nicky the dark-haired one) who were not sisters. Secondly, this "other" BOM were considered - in their appearance and the material they recorded - a poor man's version of a Swedish group that were hitting on all cylinders by that point.

Randoms likes this.
  4. Yam Graham

Yam Graham 2023 Thread Starter

Next up...
    5th No 1 of 1970 and No 284 in total...
    2 weeks at No1....from 12th April to 25th April.

Dana - All Kinds Of Everything

"All Kinds of Everything" is a song written by Derry Lindsay and Jackie Smith;[1] as performed by Dana, it won the Eurovision Song Contest 1970. "All Kinds of Everything" represented a return to the ballad form from the more energetic performances which had dominated Eurovision the previous years. Dana sings about all the things which remind her of her sweetheart (such as wishing-wells, wedding bells and an early morning dew) with the admission at the end of every verse that "all kinds of everything remind me of you". The recording by Dana became an international hit.

Eurovision.
    Dana had competed in the 1969 Irish National Song Contest — she was a resident of Northern Ireland and citizen of the United Kingdom but it was decided that year to have the Irish entry in Eurovision represent the island of Ireland in its entirety rather than just the Republic of Ireland. Although in 1970 the Irish Eurovision entry reverted to representing the Republic of Ireland only, Dana had made such a favorable impression in the previous year's Irish National Song Contest - her performance of "Look Around" had come second - that the contest's producer Tom McGrath invited her to participate again singing "All Kinds of Everything," a composition by Derry Lindsay and Jackie Smith, two twenty-eight-year-old amateur songwriters who worked as compositors for a Dublin newspaper.

Dana's performance of "All Kinds of Everything" won the 1970 Irish National Song Contest and that 21 March - a Saturday - she performed the song at the Eurovision Song Contest held in Amsterdam. Dana was the twelfth and final performer on the night (following Germany's Katja Ebstein with "Wunder gibt es immer wieder"). Ireland chose not to send its own conductor to accompany Dana, so Dolf van der Linden, the renowned musical leader of the Dutch Metropole Orchestra, conducted his own orchestra for the Irish entry. Dana sang seated on a stool fashioned as a cylinder which left her feet suspended above the floor and caused her concern that she'd slide off. However Dana performed the song with the self-possession she had displayed at rehearsals, when the production team had her rise from her stool mid-performance to accommodate a set adjustment she continued singing regardless and earned a standing ovation from the orchestra.[2]

"All Kinds of Everything" took first place in the contest with a total of 32 votes besting second place "Knock, Knock Who's There?" by Mary Hopkin by seven votes. 1970 had augured to be an off year for Eurovision with five nations boycotting the contest and an apparently predictable outcome with a victory by Hopkin or possibly Julio Iglesias (who in fact came in fourth with "Gwendolyne"). "All Kinds of Everything" was the first Eurovision win for the Republic of Ireland; six subsequent victories have made that nation Eurovision's most successful entrant. "All Kinds of Everything" was also only the second song sung in English to win Eurovision outright (the first being Sandie Shaw's "Puppet on a String", with Lulu's "Boom Bang-a-Bang" sharing first place one year previously).

The entry was politically sensitive as Dana came from Derry in Northern Ireland, yet was representing Ireland, not the United Kingdom. At this time The Troubles in Northern Ireland were erupting, and some people found political symbolism of a Northern Irishwoman representing the Republic.[citation needed] The United Kingdom's entry the following year, held in Dublin, was sung by Clodagh Rodgers, who was also from Northern Ireland. She received death threats from the IRA as a result of her appearing for the UK.[3] Following her victory Dana returned to Derry and sang her victorious song to a crowd of cheering wellwishers from a balcony in the city.

Hit Record.
    Dana had recorded "All Kinds of Everything" following her victory in the Irish National Song Contest with veteran Eurovision composer Phil Coulter ("Puppet on a String", "Congratulations") providing the musical arrangement for the Ray Horricks production. The record was released on 14 March 1970 on the Rex label for whom Dana had previously recorded four singles (including "Look Around") and became a massive hit in the Republic of Ireland even prior to its Eurovision win reaching #1 on the chart dated 20 March 1970 and remaining at #1 for nine weeks: in October 1970 Dana received a gold disc for "All Kinds of Everything" selling 100,000 units in Ireland. In the UK "All Kinds of Everything" was #1 for the weeks dated 18 April and 25 April 1970.

A #2 hit in the 1970 Eurovision host nation the Netherlands, "All Kinds of Everything" was also a hit in Austria (#7), Germany (#4), Israel (#3), Malaysia (#3), New Zealand (#8), Singapore (#1), South Africa (#7), Switzerland (#3) and Yugoslavia (#4). In Australia the release of Dana's "All Kinds of Everything" was preceded by a cover by Melburnian singer Pat Carroll whose version reached #25 before the Dana original charted to be ranked jointly with Carroll's version: the highest position this joint ranking reached was #34.[1] "All Kinds of Everything" also charted in Italy but failed to become a major hit with a #58 peak.

Overall sales for Dana's "All Kinds of Everything" are estimated at two million units.

When Dana - as Dana Rosemary Scallon - ran in the 1997 Irish presidential election the Republic of Ireland's Independent Television & Radio Commission requested that Irish radio stations refrain from playing "All Kinds of Everything" on the grounds that airing the song in effect promoted its singer's candidacy. Radio stations who insisted on playing the song were requested to reduce coverage of Dana's candidacy by three minutes for each spin of the record (which is three minutes long). [4] During the election journalist Vincent Browne was criticized for interviewing Dana in a confrontational manner. His apology took the form of a rendition of "All Kinds of Everything" during a subsequent radio panel discussion.

Dana named her 2007 autobiography All Kinds of Everything. The song was featured in a scene of the 2011 movie Tinker Tailor Soldier Spy.

[​IMG]

B-side
    [​IMG]

Randoms likes this.
  5. Yam Graham

6. Yam Graham

Dana - All Kinds Of Everything
    Typical Eurovision fodder I suppose but its harmless enough.
    Pretty girl, with a nice but unremarkable voice.
    Not a skipper!!
    2/5

Randoms likes this.
  7. cut to the chase

cut to the chase Forum Resident

The chart for the week ending 25 April 1970

Week Ending 25 April 1970

(weeks on chart - chart position the week before - chart position)
    04 - 01 - 01 - Dana - ALL KINDS OF EVERYTHING
    06 - 05 - 02 - Norman Greenbaum - SPIRIT IN THE SKY
    10 - 02 - 03 - Simon And Garfunkel - BRIDGE OVER TROUBLED WATER
    07 - 03 - 04 - Andy Williams - CAN'T HELP FALLING IN LOVE
    05 - 04 - 05 - Mary Hopkin - KNOCK KNOCK WHO'S THERE
    05 - 06 - 06 - Pipkins - GIMME DAT DING
    07 - 07 - 07 - Bob And Marcia - YOUNG, GIFTED AND BLACK
    05 - 13 - 08 - Stevie Wonder - NEVER HAD A DREAM COME TRUE
    09 - 09 - 09 - Jimmy Ruffin - FAREWELL IS A LONELY SOUND
    05 - 18 - 10 - Blue Mink - GOOD MORNING FREEDOM
    06 - 10 - 11 - Four Tops - I CAN'T HELP MYSELF
    07 - 12 - 12 - Cufflinks - WHEN JULIE COMES AROUND
    12 - 08 - 13 - Lee Marvin / Clint Eastwood - WAND'RIN' STAR / TALK TO THE TREES
    05 - 21 - 14 - Frijid Pink - HOUSE OF THE RISING SUN
    04 - 19 - 15 - Creedence Clearwater Revival - TRAVELLIN' BAND
    04 - 25 - 16 - Band - RAG MAMA RAG
    02 - 33 - 17 - Tom Jones - DAUGHTER OF DARKNESS
    12 - 15 - 18 - Kenny Rogers And The First Edition - SOMETHING'S BURNING
    09 - 11 - 19 - Pickettywitch - THAT SAME OLD FEELING
    08 - 14 - 20 - Juicy Lucy - WHO DO YOU LOVE
    09 - 17 - 21 - Joe Dolan - YOU'RE SUCH A GOOD LOOKING WOMAN
    03 - 28 - 22 - Roger Whittaker - I DON'T BELIEVE IN IF ANYMORE
    02 - 26 - 23 - England World Cup Squad - BACK HOME
    05 - 29 - 24 - Radha Krishna Temple - GOVINDA
    09 - 20 - 25 - Elvis Presley - DON'T CRY DADDY
    07 - 16 - 26 - Beatles - LET IT BE
    02 - 44 - 27 - Hollies - I CAN'T TELL THE BOTTOM FROM THE TOP
    04 - 35 - 28 - Who - THE SEEKER
    13 - 22 - 29 - Steam - NA NA HEY HEY KISS HIM GOODBYE
    03 - 36 - 30 - Rufus Thomas - DO THE FUNKY CHICKEN
    1 - NEW - 31 - Move - BRONTOSAURUS
    02 - 27 - 32 - White Plains - I'VE GOT YOU ON MY MIND
    02 - 47 - 33 - Julie Felix - IF I COULD (EL CONDOR PASA)
    06 - 31 - 34 - Diana Ross And The Supremes And The Temptations - WHY (MUST WE FALL IN LOVE)
    15 - 32 - 35 - Sacha Distel - RAINDROPS KEEP FALLIN' ON MY HEAD
    08 - 23 - 36 - Dave Clark Five - EVERYBODY GET TOGETHER
    23 - 37 - 37 - Rolf Harris - TWO LITTLE BOYS
    51 - 40 - 38 - Frank Sinatra - MY WAY
    13 - 30 - 39 - Jackson Five - I WANT YOU BACK
    14 - 34 - 40 - Boris Gardiner - ELIZABETHAN REGGAE
    02 - 50 - 41 - Edgar Broughton Band - OUT DEMONS OUT
    07 - 41 - 42 - Des O'Connor - I'LL GO ON HOPING
    15 - 39 - 43 - Canned Heat - LET'S WORK TOGETHER
    10 - 43 - 44 - Dorothy Squires - TILL
    1 - NEW - 45 - Deep Feeling - DO YOU LOVE ME
    1 - NEW - 46 - Shocking Blue - MIGHTY JOE
    15 - 42 - 47 - Peter, Paul And Mary - LEAVIN' ON A JET PLANE
    02 - 45 - 48 - Don Fardon - BELFAST BOY
    06 - 46 - 49 - Tremeloes - BY THE WAY
    1 - NEW - 50 - Maytals - MONKEY MAN

Randoms likes this.
  8. Classicrock

Classicrock Senior Member

In case not mentioned, Tony Burrows also sang for Edison Lighthouse (previous No 1). He also features with White Plains and the Pipkins all in these 1970 charts.

Last edited: Dec 19, 2018
    Randoms likes this.
  9. Randoms

Randoms Aerie Faerie Nonsense

Think that sums it up pretty well.

10. W.B.

In the U.S., "All Kinds Of Everything" was released on London 45-1026, where it didn't exactly make the same kind of impression it had in Britain and Ireland (notice producer Horricks is not mentioned on the Stateside ish, and Phil Coulter's credit is a bit different):
    [​IMG] [​IMG]
    (Monarch Record Mfg. Co. pressing, label typesetting by Stoughton Printing Co.)

11. duggan

duggan Senior Member

This always reminds me of All Things Bright And Beautiful.

Still enjoy it though.

Some really interesting chart singles at this time including the reggaeish classic Young Gifted and Black.

Randoms likes this.
  12. W.B.

From these charts, I have:
    #2-3, #5-2, #6-6, #10-11, #13-8, #16-26, #19-15, #20-25, #21-14, #33-17, #36-30, #40-38, #42-47 and #48-/.

As for #33-17, here's the U.S. label (on Parrot):
    [​IMG]
    And #36-30:
    [​IMG]

13. W.B.

Which was put out in "the States," oddly enough, on Tamla!
    [​IMG]

Randoms and bob60 like this.
  14. W.B.

Wasn't it the case Mr. Burrows was in one edition of Top Of The Pops as a member of three acts - BOM, EL and WP? If so, there was some reference earlier in this thread.

Randoms and duggan like this.
  15. Victor/Victrola

Victor/Victrola Makng shure its write

Dana - All Kinds of Everything. Sounds like a whole lot of nothing. Playing the video above gave me the first taste of this syrup fest. A pound of cotton candy has less sugar in it. Gak!

Randoms likes this.
  16. Mulderre

Mulderre 60s and 70s Music Lover

A bit of trivia here: Dana's song is the first in an uninterrupted list of Eurovision winners which charted in the UK. From 1970 until the late 80s, every winning song at least charted (even Corinne Hermès in 1983 got to number 89).

Randoms and bob60 like this.
  17. Alf.

Alf. Forum Resident

Dana = the sort of twee, vapid, nonsense that Eurovision stood for.....well, until Abba came along.

Back in those days, Eurovision studio juries had just ten votes to award, which usually meant lots of single votes distributed amongst different countries. If you got three, or four, at once, then you were doing really well. When Belgium announced "Ireland, neuf votes", you knew it was game, set, and match, to Dana.

Randoms likes this.
  18. Andy Smith

Andy Smith .....Like a good pinch of snuff......

Love Dana's 'All Kinds Of Everything'. Brings back warm/fuzzy feelings of being 12 year old again. Anyone remember Terry Hall & Sinead O'Connor's version?

Randoms likes this.
  19. John54

John54 Senior Member

Listening to All Kinds of Everything, out of curiosity. I believe I have done the same once before. It's not bad, very pleasant, but up in the air as to whether I like it enough to buy.

My favourite on the chart (from the ones I've heard) is Knock Knock Who's There by Mary Hopkin, which gives Temma Harbour a run for its money as her best IMHO.

Randoms likes this.
  20. Randoms

Excellent song.

21. Randoms

Have never heard the Sinéad O'Connor & Terry Hall version, will look it up tonight - it could be interesting.....

Andy, did you have a look at the whole 1970 Eurovision I posted, to try and replicate that warm / fuzzy feeling? :hide:

22. Randoms

The like for giving the video a go, total masochism: at least it isn't a weekend's "entertainment" like the current version.

23. Andy Smith

Andy Smith .....Like a good pinch of snuff......

I didn’t Tim - but I will now.

Randoms likes this.
  24. W.B.

That "twee, vapid nonsense" launched a career which saw many records on the charts over the next several years, including (decades down the road) a foray into politics.

25. Randoms

Cheers Andy, that version by Sinéad and Terry is excellent and actually gave me a bigger appreciation of Dana singing it. Not twee, vapid nonsense, imo.

It is good to see Sinéad looking so happy - she has always had an amazing voice and Terry looks more engaged than usual! There is also a Dana / Sinéad / Terry mash up of All Kinds Of Everything over Dana's Eurovision appearance!

Andy Smith likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.