Every UK #1 Single Of 1974 Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Randoms, Jul 10, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Randoms

Randoms Aerie Faerie Nonsense Thread Starter

Totally related to this thread, reflecting the mood in England, though obviously not that of @Bobby Morrow :D, and featuring Keith Potger, ex-manager, and one time member of the band whose single we are discussing(!!), The Seekers, from their farewell concert, with the wonderful, pitch perfect Judith Durham, singing The Carnival Is Over, their 1967 UK number one. I "borrowed" that single from my dad too! :whistle:

I would have five at the time, but I remember watching this with my dad, who loved The Seekers. Every long long trip in the car, back in the late 60's, was enhanced by the playing of a Seekers cassette.

Even more relevant to this thread, for the permanent borrowing of Simon & Garfunkel, Greatest Hits and Bridge Over Troubled Waters single, together with the above mentioned The Carnival Is Over AND two Blue Mink singles, I did get my dad this New Seekers CD

[​IMG]

Thanks for the great records Dad!

Last edited: Jul 12, 2018
  2. oxenholme

oxenholme Senile member

Please somebody pm me when we get to Seasons In The Sun and Waterloo...
    :hide:

Jarleboy, sunspot42 and Randoms like this.
  3. Randoms

Why not add the thread to favourites and keep checking? :righton:

You may find something you want to comment on! Four to go before Terry Jacks.....

4. Bobby Morrow

Bobby Morrow Senior Member

Here’s the New Seekers on some Lulu TV show from 1973. They perform Fool, their new single at the time, and also chuck in that awful Keep Britain Tidy song. ‘Eve’ also has a bit of banter with Lulu, who despite being 25 at this juncture somehow manages to look older than she does now. Viewers of a sensitive disposition will be pleased to see that Marty keeps his junk in check for this performance. Mostly, anyway.

Love how Eve gets the title of the latest single wrong!

Jarleboy, bob60 and Randoms like this.
  5. Randoms

Some songs improve with repeated listens - this isn't one of them!

I'll put the years next number 1 on tomorrow.

Jarleboy, sunspot42 and Bobby Morrow like this.
  6. Bobby Morrow

It would be fun if you did the #1’s completely out of sequence.

Just to confuse people.:D

Jarleboy and Randoms like this.
  7. Classicrock

Classicrock Senior Member

Pressure, inexperience expectation. Sport is 90% psychology. Even Federer lost from having match point yesterday. Missed chances cause panic - certain players looked tense when in front of goal. Got second goal likely would have seen it out. Croatia are a lot better than people think and mentally strong with some big time players. France should be champions sunday.

RudolphS and Randoms like this.
  8. Jonpd

Jonpd Forum Resident

The ELP flexi was issued as a proper single for Record Store Day in 2016 or 2017

Jarleboy, Andy Smith and Randoms like this.
  9. Colocally

Colocally One Of The New Wave Boys

Emerson, Lake & Palmer - Brain Salad Surgery

Northernlight and Randoms like this.
  10. John54

John54 Senior Member

I've said it before about the New Seekers, I'll say it again: I'm not a big fan and on balance I would much rather listen to the old Seekers, HOWEVER that 4:45-long 45 version of Harry Chapin's Circles is utterly glorious and very close to being my favourite song of the '70s.

11. Andy Smith

Andy Smith .....Like a good pinch of snuff......

....and we all bought it, then and now, didn't we? No....? Just me then.....

Last edited: Jul 13, 2018
    Jonpd and Randoms like this.
  12. Bobby Morrow

I remember that story about Eve...

I wonder if it was known as the Lingerie Department featuring Eve Graham?

:D

goodiesguy, Jarleboy, WLL and 4 others like this.
  13. Classicrock

Classicrock Senior Member

Eve Graham never had a great music career post NS and married a kitchen installer. Claimed a few years back she never received any royalties since 1973. Lyn Paul has since the 90s had a very successful career in musical theatre.

14. bob60

bob60 Forum Resident

It was a department store in Scotland.

goodiesguy, Jarleboy and Randoms like this.
  15. bob60

bob60 Forum Resident

She has also had a successful career dishing the dirt on her former lovers and slating her former bandmembers in the tabloids.

16. Andy Smith

Andy Smith .....Like a good pinch of snuff......

I'd have gone to look at lingerie with Eve Graham. Bit of a no-brainer there. Scotland you say? Could be there before closing time if I put my foot down on the A66....

17. Randoms

I'd go up on the A1 by Scotch Corner.....

Andy Smith likes this.
  18. Randoms

Time for the next number one, and what a massive song it was, staying at the top for four weeks, and becoming the biggest selling UK single if the year.

Tiger Feet is a popular song by the English glam rock band Mud, released in January 1974. Written and produced by the songwriting team of Nicky Chinn and Mike Chapman, it was the band's first number No. 1 single in the UK singles chart.

Tiger Feet was a huge success, it was number No. 1 in the UK and Ireland charts for four weeks in 1974 and also topped the charts in the Netherlands. It sold over 700,000 copies in the UK alone and over a million sales globally.

[​IMG]

The glorious RAK sleeve that we got in the UK!

[​IMG]

And the band penned B side, Australian single.

[​IMG]

The French got a picture sleeve.

[​IMG]

And Germany got one, too.

1974 was a brilliant year for Mud, with The Cat Crept In reaching #2 in April, Rocket a #6 in July, and the Christmas number one for them, which we'll cover later.

Happy memories Les, wherever you are.

19. Randoms

Mud do the Shads steps and the roadies beer over the shoulder dance!

20. Randoms

I bought the single, loved it played it regularly, but unusually played the B side only a few times.

21. Colocally

Colocally One Of The New Wave Boys

I really love “Tiger Feet”.

Northernlight and Randoms like this.
  22. redfloatboat

redfloatboat Forum Resident

I was into the British glam music scene at the time but to me Mud were never glam, just hopped on the glam-train.

sunspot42 and Randoms like this.
  23. Randoms

T.Rex was Marc, Slade had Dave Hill, Sweet had Steve Priest, and Mud's answer was - Rob Davis.

[​IMG]

24. Bobby Morrow

Never heard this before. Not the sort of thing I’d have expected from Mud. Nice song. I never owned a Mud album. The one I looked once had a medley of 3 of their hits on as opposed to the full versions. This put me off buying it. What was wrong with bands in the 70s? Put your f***ing hits on your albums.:)

25. Bobby Morrow

Yes, all the bands had to have a ‘camp’ one.

I suspect Rob would be quite unhappy when it came around to costume fittings. Unless this was his everyday attire!

In this photo Rob is wearing an outfit that Wendy Craig might have appeared in on And Mother Makes Three! Not a good look.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.