Every UK #1 Single of 1976 Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by cut to the chase, Dec 4, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. W.B.

W.B. The Collector's Collector

As no doubt Albert Hammond could've attested to about Southern California's weather. :winkgrin: But it did seem a measure of how far Mr. Glitter had fallen in popularity since his peak.

2. cut to the chase

cut to the chase Forum Resident Thread Starter

I love that one as well, great tune!

Northernlight and Randoms like this.
  3. I'm all for following things in order.
    Its my OCD I think.
    When we hit the 80's hopefully we'll just follow the charts as they unfolded....80, 81, 82 etc...

4. Alf.

Alf. Forum Resident

Most Eurovision winners are naff, but this is truly hideous. The mid-70s version of BOM aimed for that Poundland-Abba 'vibe'. Yuk.

That chart's crap, as well. Stuffed full of re-releases; covers; fag-end days of former great groups; faux-soul etc etc. It certainly speaks volumes, when Cliff's Miss You Nights trounces the rest of the new records.

JumpinJimF likes this.
  5. bob60

bob60 Forum Resident

[​IMG]
    Finally I was able to upload the pic, apologies to all of you who were disappointed and deflated about the missing pic in my post...

6. W.B.

Ah, for the days when BOM was a quintet of John Goodison, Roger Greenaway, Tony Burrows, Sue Glover and Sunny Leslie . . .

7. Mulderre

Mulderre 60s and 70s Music Lover

During the time Brotherhood of Man were in the charts riding high, there were a great number of song worth mentioning:

- The weird but wonderful Jungle Rock. A song largely forgotten which, by surprise, went to number 3. Nobody knew who was that Hank Mizell. He eventually appeared on TOTP, but the record was on its way down.
    - Isaac Hayes's Disco Connection. Great disco by the Hot Buttered Soul.
    - Girls, Girls, Girls. A guiilty pleasure, but a great Euro-pop hit by Sailor.
    - Silver Star by The Four Seasons. Does anybody know what relates this song to Top Of The Pops? Answers in a Postcard.
    - Convoy GB by Laurie Lingo and The Dipsticks (Dave Lee Travis and Paul Burnett). Ugh. Ugh. UGH.
    - Another chart trivia: two songs in the Top 20 which vanished the week after. We are talking of the two versions of Latin Hustle. One by Eddie Drennon (the original), and the other by the M&O Band, which was a blatant copy. Both entered the Top 20 in the same week. Both were pulled the week after.

And the rest, well... 1976 in a nutshell. Harpo, Paul Nicholas (what a year he had!), The Rollers, an adult performer charting high... it's gonna be a painful year.

Randoms likes this.
  8. W.B.

And here MkI BOM are (Ms. Glover on the right, Ms. Leslie on the left) . . .
    [​IMG]
    (Counterclockwise from L., Sunny, John, Roger, Sue and Tony)

Randoms likes this.
  9. Black Thumb

Black Thumb Yah Mo B There

Well worth the wait, mate! :righton:

The smell of hair products must've been overwhelming in that studio!

bob60, cut to the chase and Randoms like this.
  10. Black Thumb

The ABBA / BOM comparisons are amusing, as Sweden didn't compete in the 1976 contest as their national broadcaster couldn't afford to host the 1977 one should they have won.

They started making everyone chip in after that.

Randoms likes this.
  11. Randoms

Randoms Aerie Faerie Nonsense

Great fun, bought that one.

12. bob60

bob60 Forum Resident

I am very proud to have posted this rare pic, even The Beatles never had matching perms (though I'm sure there are people on here who will swear that they invented the perm as well).
    Actually I do seem to recall George Harrison having a perm around the same time he got those new teeth.....

cut to the chase and Randoms like this.
  13. Black Thumb

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Randoms and blutiga like this.
  14. Randoms

Randoms Aerie Faerie Nonsense

Post #84 and @duggan's excellent response at post #93 is where Silver Star was previously mentioned - just a great song.

For a group that is so well known for the vocals and harmonising, The Four Seasons songs could be very musically interesting, The Night (a fail when released in 1972, but a hit in 1975) another great example of this.

Northernlight likes this.
  15. W.B.

That little "twist" at the end of "Save Your Kisses for Me" seemed reminiscent of another onetime big hit: "Clair" by Gilbert O'Sullivan.

16. cut to the chase

I like that one as well, though not as much as their glass of champagne.

17. Black Thumb

I forgot Giblet had the same twist on "Clair". (His curls didn't come from a bottle).

Chuck Berry beat the whole lot to the punch with "Memphis Tennessee" - his Marie was 6.

18. duggan

duggan Senior Member

They had many other great tracks including IIRC The Pie, You Got Me Anyway and Dream Kid.

There was another one that I can't recall.

Randoms likes this.
  19. Mulderre

Of course, Sailing.

cut to the chase and duggan like this.
  20. Mulderre

Given that nobody answered the question, here is the answer: the relation between Silver Star and Top Of The Pops is that it was the last ever routine by Pans People. After 10 years of dancing and performing, it was time for a bearth of fresh air: it was time for Ruby Flipper, which wasn't a success.

21. Bobby Morrow

Bobby Morrow Senior Member

Silver Star was my favourite of the singles from their album. Great song. I remember enjoying it again when BBC4 began showing (properly) old TOTP some years ago. They started with 1976.

22. bob60

bob60 Forum Resident

Actually, if you take away the moustache George looks very similar to the dark haired female singer in Brotherhood Of Man.

Randoms and Black Thumb like this.
  23. cut to the chase

We had Brotherhood of Man, the bad copy, now it's time for the great original - ABBA! 'Fernando' reached the top spot the week ending 8 May 1976, staying there for 4 weeks.

B-side: Hey Hey Helen

24. cut to the chase

"Fernando" is a song by the Swedish pop group ABBA. It was the group's first non-album single and was released in March 1976 through Polar Music. The track was featured on the 1976 compilation album Greatest Hits in most countries, but was included on the group's fourth studio album Arrival in Australia and New Zealand. "Fernando" is also featured on the multi-million selling Gold: Greatest Hits compilation. The song was to become one of ABBA's best-selling singles of all time, with six million copies sold in 1976 alone. It is one of fewer than forty all-time singles to have sold 10 million (or more) physical copies worldwide, making it one of the best selling singles of all time.

[​IMG]

History
    "Fernando" was not originally released as an ABBA song but by band member Anni-Frid Lyngstad. It was featured on her No. 1 Swedish solo album Frida ensam (1975). The song was composed by Benny Andersson and Björn Ulvaeus and carried the working title of "Tango". Preparations for recording began in August 1975. The writers made last-minute changes to the title before recording. The suggestion of the name "Fernando" was given by their limousine driver Peter Forbes in Shepperton, England.

Swedish-language version

The original Swedish-language version's lyrics were written by ABBA's manager Stig Anderson and differ substantially from the English-language version. In the original, the narrator tries to console the heartbroken Fernando, who has lost his great love. "The sorrow can be hard to bear, but the fact that friends let us down is something we all have to cope with". The chorus' lyrics are: "Long live love, our best friend, Fernando. Raise your glass and propose a toast to it; to love, Fernando. Play the melody and sing a song of happiness. Long live love, Fernando".

English-language version
    The English version, with completely different lyrics by Björn Ulvaeus, presents a vision of nostalgia for two veterans reminiscing in old age about a long ago battle in which they participated. "I wrote all the songs as little stories. 'Fernando' was about two old freedom-fighters from the war between Texas and Mexico. I was lying outside one summer night, looking at the stars and it suddenly came to me" "I knew that the title 'Fernando' had to be there, and after pondering a while, I had this vivid image in my mind of two old and scarred revolutionaries in Mexico sitting outside at night talking about old memories".

However, with the women members of ABBA handling the lead vocals, there is also the suggestion that it is a female freedom fighter, who may have had a brief affair with Fernando during the war, and is now looking back fondly at that relationship.

The B-side to "Fernando" was the song "Hey, Hey, Helen", a track from the group's self-titled third studio album (1975), although in some countries "Tropical Loveland" (also from the album ABBA) was used instead. Some copies of the single use "Rock Me" or "Dance (While the Music Still Goes On)" as a B-side.

Spanish-language version
    The title and rhythm of the song made it an obvious choice for inclusion on ABBA's Spanish album, Gracias Por La Música. The lyrics were translated into Spanish by Mary McCluskey and recorded at Polar Music Studio on 3 January 1980. The song was released as a promotional single in Spain. The lyrics, while adapted for rhythm and rhyme, carry the same sentiment and roughly the same meaning as the English version: "There was something in the air that night, the stars were bright, Fernando. They were shining there for you and me, for liberty, Fernando" becomes "Something was around us perhaps of clarity Fernando, that shone for us two in protection, Fernando" ("Algo había alrededor quizá de claridad Fernando, que brillaba por nosotros dos en protección, Fernando".)

Reception
    "Fernando" was released in March 1976 and became one of ABBA's best-selling singles, topping the charts in at least 13 countries, and selling over 10 million copies worldwide. It was the longest-running No. 1 in Australian history (spending 14 weeks at the top and 40 weeks on the chart), and remained so for over 40 years, until it was surpassed by Ed Sheeran's "Shape of You", which achieved 15 weeks at No. 1 in May 2017. "Fernando" also reached the top of the charts in Austria, Belgium, France, Germany, the United Kingdom, Hungary, Ireland, Mexico, the Netherlands, New Zealand, South Africa and Switzerland. It was also a Top 5 hit in ABBA's native Sweden (although Lyngstad's version was No. 1 on Sweden's radio chart for nine weeks), Finland, Norway, Spain, Canada and Rhodesia.

The track became ABBA's fourth Top 20 hit on the U.S. Billboard Hot 100, peaking at No. 13. It also reached No. 1 on the Billboard Adult Contemporary chart, the first of two chart-toppers for ABBA on this chart (the second being "The Winner Takes It All"). The song remains an airplay staple on American radio stations specializing in the MOR, adult standards and easy listening formats.

"Fernando" was the fourth biggest single of 1976 in the UK. It spent 10 weeks in the UK Top 10 (more than any other ABBA single), and was also the second of three consecutive UK No. 1 singles for ABBA, after "Mamma Mia" and before "Dancing Queen".

In Portugal, the single sold 80,000 copies.

The song was also chosen as the "Best Studio Recording of 1975", ABBA's first international prize.

Cher version
    American singer and actress Cher recorded Fernando as the third single from the movie soundtrack of Mamma Mia! Here We Go Again. Her version was released on July 13, 2018, by Capitol and Polydor Records. Produced by Benny Andersson, the song debuted on the Billboard Adult Contemporary chart in July 2018 at number 22. Her cover version features background vocals by actor Andy García. Cher's solo version of the cover without background vocals by Andy García also appears on her 2018 ABBA tribute album Dancing Queen.

Critical reception
    Writing for Idolator, Mike Wass felt that, in contrast to Cher's version of "Mamma Mia", which sounds "playful and well-intentioned that it's impossible to resist," “Fernando” sounds "disarmingly faithful to the original, which is probably due to the fact it was co-produced by ABBA's own Benny Andersson. It has a warm, live feel that was so peculiar to ABBA's ’70s fare and that sound really suits our heroine's soaring vocals."

Live performances
    Cher performed the "Fernando" on the CinemaCon 2018 to promote the Mamma Mia! Here We Go Again film. During her Here We Go Again Tour she also performs the song together with "Waterloo" and "SOS". On October 31, 2018 "The Shoop Shoop Song (It's in His Kiss)" and "Take Me Home" were cut from her concert residency Classic Cher and "Waterloo", "SOS" and "Fernando" were added.

Other cover versions
    • In the 1980s, Dominican Ramón Orlando rewrote the lyrics to "Fernando" as "Si tú crees que no te amo" ("If you think I don't love you").
    • In 1976, Swedish singer Lena Andersson recorded a German language version of this song. Andersson was also signed to the Polar label and could use the original Anni-Frid Lyngstad/ABBA backing track produced by Björn Ulvaeus and Benny Andersson. The German version contains a two bar long instrumental passage after the first chorus that was edited out from both the Swedish and the English-language versions.
    • In 1976, Paraguayan/Brazilian camp singer Perla covered "Fernando" on her album "Palabras de amor". Perla also covered ABBA's "Chiquitita" on her 1979 album.
    • In 1976, French Canadian singer René Simard recorded a French version of this song.
    • In 1976, Czech singer Věra Špinarová recorded a Czech version.
    • The Swedish singer Lotta Engberg recorded a cover version of the Swedish version in 1997.
    • The Swedish dansband Vikingarna also recorded a Swedish cover.
    • American actress/singer Audrey Landers recorded a cover of the song.
    • U.S. musician/songwriter Pamela McNeill included a rendition of the song on her Tribute To ABBA album. Her husband, Dugan McNeill, helped produce the album.
    • German eurodance group E-Rotic covered the song on their album Thank You for the Music.
    • The San Francisco Gay Men's Chorus recorded a cover of the song for their 1997 album ExtrABBAganza!.
    • New York jazz band Sex Mob covered the song for their 2000 album Solid Sender.
    • Danish rock/pop duo Olsen Brothers recorded a cover for their 2003 album More Songs.
    • The 2004 album ABBAMania 2 featured a cover by British TV actress Jane Danson.
    • The German ABBA Mania compilation includes a cover of the song by Barbara Schöneberger and German comedian Dirk Bach.
    • A cover by Hong Kong-New Zealand singer Wing appeared on her 2005 album Dancing Queen by Wing, and in the South Park episode "Wing".
    • A cover of the song by Velvet Set can be found on the 2006 chill out music compilation ABBA Chill Out.
    • A cover of the song by Finnish a cappella choral ensemble Rajaton can be found on their 2006 ABBA tribute album Rajaton Sings ABBA With Lahti Symphony Orchestra.
    • Deborah Sasson (de) recorded "Fernando" for her 2012 album Deborah Sasson.
    • Wreckless Eric and Amy Rigby included a cover on their 2010 album, Two-Way Family Favourites, with Amy Rigby singing vocals.
    • The von Trapps recorded a Swedish language version with Pink Martini, which appears on their 2014 album Dream a Little Dream.
    Appearances in other media
    • ABBA perform parts of the song live in the film ABBA: The Movie (1977).
    • The ABBA recording was featured in the films The Adventures of Priscilla, Queen of the Desert (1993) and Muriel's Wedding (1994).
    • In 1976, the song was adapted, and performed by ABBA in this version, for use in a series of five television commercials promoting the National brand, used by the Matsushita Electric Industrial Co., Ltd.
    Fernando (song) - Wikipedia

25. cut to the chase

The UK Singles Chart for the 4 weeks that 'Fernando' was at number one:

Week Ending 08 May 1976

(weeks on chart - chart position the week before - chart position)
    07 - 02 - 01 - Abba - FERNANDO
    09 - 01 - 02 - Brotherhood Of Man - SAVE YOUR KISSES FOR ME
    08 - 03 - 03 - Hank Mizell - JUNGLE ROCK
    04 - 14 - 04 - Laurie Lingo And The Dipsticks - CONVOY GB
    05 - 05 - 05 - Fox - S-S-S-SINGLE BED
    03 - 16 - 06 - Four Seasons - SILVER STAR
    06 - 09 - 07 - Silver Convention - GET UP AND BOOGIE
    06 - 06 - 08 - Diana Ross - THEME FROM MAHOGANY (DO YOU KNOW WHERE YOU'RE GOING TO)
    06 - 12 - 09 - Sheer Elegance - LIFE IS TOO SHORT GIRL
    06 - 10 - 10 - Isaac Hayes - DISCO CONNECTION
    04 - 22 - 11 - Frankie Valli - FALLEN ANGEL
    05 - 13 - 12 - Eric Carmen - ALL BY MYSELF
    07 - 07 - 13 - Sailor - GIRLS GIRLS GIRLS
    03 - 20 - 14 - Stylistics - CAN'T HELP FALLING IN LOVE
    08 - 11 - 15 - John Miles - MUSIC
    06 - 19 - 16 - Sutherland Brothers And Quiver - ARMS OF MARY
    05 - 04 - 17 - Bay City Rollers - LOVE ME LIKE I LOVE YOU
    04 - 17 - 18 - Andrea True Connection - MORE MORE MORE
    03 - 24 - 19 - Diana Ross - LOVE HANGOVER
    04 - 28 - 20 - Bellamy Brothers - LET YOUR LOVE FLOW
    08 - 08 - 21 - 10CC - I'M MANDY FLY ME
    02 - 43 - 22 - Rolling Stones - FOOL TO CRY
    04 - 29 - 23 - Paul Nicholas - REGGAE LIKE IT USED TO BE
    04 - 27 - 24 - Harpo - MOVIE STAR
    03 - 30 - 25 - Johnny Taylor - DISCO LADY
    03 - 35 - 26 - J J Barrie - NO CHARGE
    03 - 32 - 27 - James and Bobby Purify - I'M YOUR PUPPET
    02 - 36 - 28 - Rubettes - YOU'RE THE REASON WHY
    05 - 21 - 29 - Keith Emerson - HONKY TONK TRAIN BLUES
    03 - 25 - 30 - Jimmy James And The Vagabonds - I'LL GO WHERE YOUR MUSIC TAKES ME
    02 - 48 - 31 - Tina Charles - LOVE ME LIKE A LOVER
    06 - 26 - 32 - Rodger Collins - YOU SEXY SUGAR PLUM (BUT I LIKE IT)
    23 - 18 - 33 - Beatles - HEY JUDE
    08 - 15 - 34 - Hot Chocolate - DON'T STOP IT NOW
    10 - 23 - 35 - Barry White - YOU SEE THE TROUBLE WITH ME
    02 - 46 - 36 - Three Degrees - TOAST OF LOVE
    02 - 50 - 37 - Elvis Presley - HURT
    04 - 33 - 38 - Linda Lewis - BABY I'M YOURS
    1 - NEW - 39 - Judge Dread - THE WINKLE MAN
    06 - 34 - 40 - Barass Construction - MOVIN'
    1 - NEW - 41 - Cliff Richard - DEVIL WOMAN
    03 - 41 - 42 - Fats Domino - BLUEBERRY HILL
    02 - 49 - 43 - Peter Frampton - SHOW ME THE WAY
    1 - NEW - 44 - Archie Bell and the Drells - SOUL CITY WALK
    1 - NEW - 45 - Silk - REQUIEM
    1 - NEW - 46 - Robin Sarstedt - MY RESISTANCE IS LOW
    04 - 39 - 47 - Biddu Orchestra - RAIN FOREST
    1 - NEW - 48 - Gladys Knight And The Pips - MIDNIGHT TRAIN TO GEORGIA
    1 - NEW - 49 - Linda Ronstadt - TRACKS OF MY TEARS
    1 - NEW - 50 - Manchester United FC - MANCHESTER UNITED

Week Ending 15 May 1976

08 - 01 - 01 - Abba - FERNANDO
    10 - 02 - 02 - Brotherhood Of Man - SAVE YOUR KISSES FOR ME
    09 - 03 - 03 - Hank Mizell - JUNGLE ROCK
    06 - 05 - 04 - Fox - S-S-S-SINGLE BED
    05 - 18 - 05 - Andrea True Connection - MORE MORE MORE
    07 - 16 - 06 - Sutherland Brothers And Quiver - ARMS OF MARY
    05 - 04 - 07 - Laurie Lingo And The Dipsticks - CONVOY GB
    07 - 07 - 08 - Silver Convention - GET UP AND BOOGIE
    04 - 06 - 09 - Four Seasons - SILVER STAR
    04 - 14 - 10 - Stylistics - CAN'T HELP FALLING IN LOVE
    04 - 26 - 11 - J J Barrie - NO CHARGE
    07 - 09 - 12 - Sheer Elegance - LIFE IS TOO SHORT GIRL
    05 - 11 - 13 - Frankie Valli - FALLEN ANGEL
    03 - 22 - 14 - Rolling Stones - FOOL TO CRY
    04 - 19 - 15 - Diana Ross - LOVE HANGOVER
    04 - 27 - 16 - James and Bobby Purify - I'M YOUR PUPPET
    05 - 20 - 17 - Bellamy Brothers - LET YOUR LOVE FLOW
    07 - 10 - 18 - Isaac Hayes - DISCO CONNECTION
    06 - 12 - 19 - Eric Carmen - ALL BY MYSELF
    05 - 23 - 20 - Paul Nicholas - REGGAE LIKE IT USED TO BE
    06 - 17 - 21 - Bay City Rollers - LOVE ME LIKE I LOVE YOU
    02 - 46 - 22 - Robin Sarstedt - MY RESISTANCE IS LOW
    04 - 30 - 23 - Jimmy James And The Vagabonds - I'LL GO WHERE YOUR MUSIC TAKES ME
    02 - 41 - 24 - Cliff Richard - DEVIL WOMAN
    05 - 24 - 25 - Harpo - MOVIE STAR
    07 - 08 - 26 - Diana Ross - THEME FROM MAHOGANY (DO YOU KNOW WHERE YOU'RE GOING TO)
    04 - 25 - 27 - Johnny Taylor - DISCO LADY
    03 - 28 - 28 - Rubettes - YOU'RE THE REASON WHY
    1 - NEW - 29 - Wings - SILLY LOVE SONGS
    02 - 48 - 30 - Gladys Knight And The Pips - MIDNIGHT TRAIN TO GEORGIA
    03 - 31 - 31 - Tina Charles - LOVE ME LIKE A LOVER
    08 - 13 - 32 - Sailor - GIRLS GIRLS GIRLS
    1 - NEW - 33 - Wurzels - COMBINE HARVESTER
    02 - 45 - 34 - Silk - REQUIEM
    02 - 39 - 35 - Judge Dread - THE WINKLE MAN
    09 - 15 - 36 - John Miles - MUSIC
    1 - NEW - 37 - Mud - SHAKE IT DOWN
    09 - 21 - 38 - 10CC - I'M MANDY FLY ME
    03 - 43 - 39 - Peter Frampton - SHOW ME THE WAY
    02 - 44 - 40 - Archie Bell And The Drells - SOUL CITY WALK
    1 - NEW - 41 - Melba Moore - THIS IS IT
    1 - NEW - 42 - Dolly Parton - JOLENE
    03 - 36 - 43 - Three Degrees - TOAST OF LOVE
    03 - 37 - 44 - Elvis Presley - HURT
    05 - 38 - 45 - Linda Lewis - BABY I'M YOURS
    04 - 42 - 46 - Fats Domino - BLUEBERRY HILL
    1 - NEW - 47 - Mistura Featuring Lloyd Michaels - THE FLASHER
    02 - 49 - 48 - Linda Ronstadt - TRACKS OF MY TEARS
    1 - NEW - 49 - Mac And Katie Kissoon - THE TWO OF US
    1 - NEW - 50 - Elvin Bishop - FOOLED AROUND AND FELL IN LOVE

Week Ending 22 May 1976

09 - 01 - 01 - Abba - FERNANDO
    05 - 11 - 02 - J J Barrie - NO CHARGE
    05 - 09 - 03 - Four Seasons - SILVER STAR
    05 - 10 - 04 - Stylistics - CAN'T HELP FALLING IN LOVE
    08 - 06 - 05 - Sutherland Brothers And Quiver - ARMS OF MARY
    06 - 05 - 06 - Andrea True Connection - MORE MORE MORE
    04 - 14 - 07 - Rolling Stones - FOOL TO CRY
    11 - 02 - 08 - Brotherhood Of Man - SAVE YOUR KISSES FOR ME
    10 - 03 - 09 - Hank Mizell - JUNGLE ROCK
    07 - 04 - 10 - Fox - S-S-S-SINGLE BED
    03 - 22 - 11 - Robin Sarstedt - MY RESISTANCE IS LOW
    08 - 08 - 12 - Silver Convention - GET UP AND BOOGIE
    06 - 07 - 13 - Laurie Lingo And The Dipsticks - CONVOY GB
    02 - 33 - 14 - Wurzels - COMBINE HARVESTER
    05 - 15 - 15 - Diana Ross - LOVE HANGOVER
    02 - 29 - 16 - Wings - SILLY LOVE SONGS
    06 - 17 - 17 - Bellamy Brothers - LET YOUR LOVE FLOW
    06 - 13 - 18 - Frankie Valli - FALLEN ANGEL
    05 - 16 - 19 - James and Bobby Purify - I'M YOUR PUPPET
    08 - 12 - 20 - Sheer Elegance - LIFE IS TOO SHORT GIRL
    03 - 24 - 21 - Cliff Richard - DEVIL WOMAN
    08 - 18 - 22 - Isaac Hayes - DISCO CONNECTION
    07 - 19 - 23 - Eric Carmen - ALL BY MYSELF
    03 - 30 - 24 - Gladys Knight And The Pips - MIDNIGHT TRAIN TO GEORGIA
    02 - 37 - 25 - Mud - SHAKE IT DOWN
    06 - 20 - 26 - Paul Nicholas - REGGAE LIKE IT USED TO BE
    05 - 27 - 27 - Johnny Taylor - DISCO LADY
    07 - 21 - 28 - Bay City Rollers - LOVE ME LIKE I LOVE YOU
    02 - 41 - 29 - Melba Moore - THIS IS IT
    05 - 23 - 30 - Jimmy James And The Vagabonds - I'LL GO WHERE YOUR MUSIC TAKES ME
    03 - 40 - 31 - Archie Bell And The Drells - SOUL CITY WALK
    04 - 28 - 32 - Rubettes - YOU'RE THE REASON WHY
    04 - 39 - 33 - Peter Frampton - SHOW ME THE WAY
    06 - 25 - 34 - Harpo - MOVIE STAR
    03 - 34 - 35 - Silk - REQUIEM
    03 - 35 - 36 - Judge Dread - THE WINKLE MAN
    02 - 47 - 37 - Mistura Featuring Lloyd Michaels - THE FLASHER
    02 - 42 - 38 - Dolly Parton - JOLENE
    08 - 26 - 39 - Diana Ross - THEME FROM MAHOGANY (DO YOU KNOW WHERE YOU'RE GOING TO)
    02 - 50 - 40 - Elvin Bishop - FOOLED AROUND AND FELL IN LOVE
    1 - NEW - 41 - Billy Paul - LET'S MAKE A BABY
    03 - 48 - 42 - Linda Ronstadt - TRACKS OF MY TEARS
    04 - 44 - 43 - Elvis Presley - HURT
    1 - NEW - 44 - David Bowie - TVC 15
    1 - NEW - 45 - Gallagher and Lyle - HEART ON MY SLEEVE
    06 - 45 - 46 - Linda Lewis - BABY I'M YOURS
    04 - 43 - 47 - Three Degrees - TOAST OF LOVE
    05 - 46 - 48 - Fats Domino - BLUEBERRY HILL
    1 - NEW - 49 - Dion - THE WANDERER
    02 - 49 - 50 - Mac And Katie Kissoon - THE TWO OF US

Week Ending 29 May 1976
    10 - 01 - 01 - Abba - FERNANDO
    06 - 02 - 02 - J J Barrie - NO CHARGE
    03 - 14 - 03 - Wurzels - COMBINE HARVESTER
    04 - 11 - 04 - Robin Sarstedt - MY RESISTANCE IS LOW
    07 - 06 - 05 - Andrea True Connection - MORE MORE MORE
    09 - 05 - 06 - Sutherland Brothers And Quiver - ARMS OF MARY
    03 - 16 - 07 - Wings - SILLY LOVE SONGS
    05 - 07 - 08 - Rolling Stones - FOOL TO CRY
    07 - 17 - 09 - Bellamy Brothers - LET YOUR LOVE FLOW
    06 - 15 - 10 - Diana Ross - LOVE HANGOVER
    04 - 21 - 11 - Cliff Richard - DEVIL WOMAN
    06 - 19 - 12 - James and Bobby Purify - I'M YOUR PUPPET
    11 - 09 - 13 - Hank Mizell - JUNGLE ROCK
    06 - 04 - 14 - Stylistics - CAN'T HELP FALLING IN LOVE
    08 - 10 - 15 - Fox - S-S-S-SINGLE BED
    12 - 08 - 16 - Brotherhood Of Man - SAVE YOUR KISSES FOR ME
    07 - 26 - 17 - Paul Nicholas - REGGAE LIKE IT USED TO BE
    04 - 24 - 18 - Gladys Knight And The Pips - MIDNIGHT TRAIN TO GEORGIA
    09 - 12 - 19 - Silver Convention - GET UP AND BOOGIE
    03 - 29 - 20 - Melba Moore - THIS IS IT
    06 - 03 - 21 - Four Seasons - SILVER STAR
    05 - 33 - 22 - Peter Frampton - SHOW ME THE WAY
    03 - 25 - 23 - Mud - SHAKE IT DOWN
    04 - 35 - 24 - Silk - REQUIEM
    02 - 45 - 25 - Gallagher And Lyle - HEART ON MY SLEEVE
    06 - 30 - 26 - Jimmy James And The Vagabonds - I'LL GO WHERE YOUR MUSIC TAKES ME
    07 - 18 - 27 - Frankie Valli - FALLEN ANGEL
    03 - 38 - 28 - Dolly Parton - JOLENE
    03 - 37 - 29 - Mistura Featuring Lloyd Michaels - THE FLASHER
    04 - 31 - 30 - Archie Bell And The Drells - SOUL CITY WALK
    08 - 28 - 31 - Bay City Rollers - LOVE ME LIKE I LOVE YOU
    09 - 20 - 32 - Sheer Elegance - LIFE IS TOO SHORT GIRL
    06 - 27 - 33 - Johnny Taylor - DISCO LADY
    03 - 40 - 34 - Elvin Bishop - FOOLED AROUND AND FELL IN LOVE
    02 - 41 - 35 - Billy Paul - LET'S MAKE A BABY
    09 - 22 - 36 - Isaac Hayes - DISCO CONNECTION
    02 - 44 - 37 - David Bowie - TVC 15
    07 - 13 - 38 - Laurie Lingo And The Dipsticks - CONVOY GB