EVERY US/UK #1 album Discussion 1970-Present

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Jmac1979, Jun 9, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Cheevyjames

Cheevyjames Forum Resident

Various - Motown Chartbusters Vol. 3

This is mostly a pretty dang good compilation. The last two tracks aren't that great and end the album on a less than stellar note. Otherwise, it's a really enjoyable album with some classic songs. Tunes like I Heard It Through the Grapevine, My Cherie Amour, This Old Heart of Mine, I'm in a Different World, Dancing in the Street and You're All I Need to Get By are all excellent, classic songs. Even with so much change from '68-'70, these songs were still really popular. Sure, there are a few tracks I don't dig, but my main issue with this album is that there's too many repeating performers. Everyone should only get one song. The Supremes get 3! That's not necessary, even if they are all enjoyable songs. Best track: My Cherie Amour. Worst: Stop Her On the Sight (SOS).

7/10

2. carlwm

carlwm Forum Resident

I have a huge gap in knowledge where Motown is concerned. I only know two of the tracks on the record.

3. Victor/Victrola

Victor/Victrola Makng shure its write

I've never seen that Motown collection, but I'd probably buy it. Lots of great stuff there.

4. Jmac1979

Jmac1979 Forum Resident Thread Starter

[​IMG]

Simon And Garfunkel - Bridge Over Troubled Water
    UK: Feb 21-May 16, Jun 13-Jul 4, Jul 18-Aug 15, Oct 3, Oct 17 1970, Jan 16-Jan 30, Jul 3-Jul 31, Sept 11 1971
    US: Mar 7-May 9 1970

Willow, greelywinger and Randoms like this.
  5. Jmac1979

Great album! Paul and Art truly went out on top of their game. While the album was a blockbuster in the states, at one time it was Columbia's top selling album ever (I believe Billy Joel's The Stranger was the album to top it, then Springsteen surpassed that with Born In The USA) in the US, but in the UK it had a Thriller/Adele 21 type of run with its last week on top being over 18 months after the first time it went to #1.

Randoms likes this.
  6. Hoover Factory

Hoover Factory Old Dude Who Knows Things

I know this is considered to be their pinnacle album, but I much prefer “Bookends” and “Parsley, Sage, Rosemary, and Thyme.” Still, the title track and The Boxer” are great, great songs.

Randoms and carlwm like this.
  7. Alf.

Alf. Forum Resident

Bridge & Boxer are great; the rest ranges from 'okay' to 'meh'. Overall, it's pretty bland.

8. Victor/Victrola

Victor/Victrola Makng shure its write

Bridge Over Troubled Water is my favorite S&G album due to its consistency, every song is excellent. The theme of friendship and finality that runs through it is brilliantly captured, especially on side two, which plays out as a mini-documentary of the duo's history and breakup. Couple Simon's great writing with the wonderful sonics from the production team, and you get a classic album that deserves every accolade thrown at it.

The Only Living Boy In New York is one of the most beautiful and personal things Simon ever wrote, the title track is an homage to friendship, The Boxer is a modern pop standard, and songs like Cecilia, Keep The Customer Satisfied, Baby Driver and Why Don't You Write Me are just plain fun. Including Bye Bye Love was such a brilliant move, pointing to the duo's past while TOLBINY and So Long, Frank Lloyd Wright pointed to their future apart from one another. Simon knew this was the end for Art and himself, and he wasn't afraid to write about it.

As much as I like this album, I still regard "America" as the best thing Simon wrote and S&G recorded, but as far as the albums go, this one is squarely on top.

Randoms and Jmac1979 like this.
  9. carlwm

carlwm Forum Resident

It's not my favourite S&G record, but it's still marvellous even if it does run out of steam a little after The Only Living Boy In New York.

If find the title track to be a curious song. I've never heard a cover version that doesn't make it bland and mawkish but when Art sings it, I can always, even after all this time, feel the hackles on the back of my neck stand on end. It's an extraordinary vocal performance!

Randoms, Hoover Factory and Jmac1979 like this.
  10. bare trees

bare trees Senior Member

I bought Led Zeppelin II when I was 11 after hearing Physical Graffiti and the fourth album. I loved "Whole Lotta Love" but the rest of the album didn't connect with me for some reason (Maybe it was to too bluesy for me at the time). I filed it away only to dig it out a few months later and give it another shot. The intervening months made all the difference. This time, the album clicked and it became one of my go to albums that spring and summer.

Randoms, Jmac1979 and carlwm like this.
  11. Jmac1979

I agree with preferring Bookends and Parsley, Sage, Rosemary and Thyme, but BOTW is still great.

Although I'm in the minority opinion who actually prefers Paul's songwriting as a solo artist even though I know he never quite scaled the same heights he did with Art, but I do like the more quirkier and introverted songwriting he did on his own

Randoms and Victor/Victrola like this.
  12. cquiller1

cquiller1 Forum Resident

You should keep exploring their discography. Led Zep I & II aren't my favorite albums by them--mainly because a lot of the songs were stolen from other artists. But Led Zep III is even better than the first two albums IMO. Led Zeppelin really hit their stride with Led Zeppelin IV, Houses of the Holy, and Physical Graffiti.

Randoms, Jmac1979 and carlwm like this.
  13. Jmac1979

[​IMG]

Crosby, Stills, Nash And Young - Deja Vu
    US: May 16, 1970

1. Carry On
    2. Teach Your Children
    3. Almost Cut My Hair
    4. Helpless
    5. Woodstock
    6. Déjà Vu
    7. Our House
    8. 4 + 20
    9. Country Girl (Whiskey Boot Hill, Down Down Down, Country Girl (I Think You're Pretty)
    10 Everybody I Love You

Last edited: Jun 16, 2019
  14. Jmac1979

CSNY's never really been my thing, but this album is certainly a classic with quite a few memorable songs everyone knows.

Randoms likes this.
  15. carlwm

carlwm Forum Resident

A candidate for my favourite album.

The first eight tracks are simply remarkable. Four songwriters at the top of their games, wonderful playing and sublime harmonies (natch). The other two songs aren't quite as strong, I reckon, but they're decent enough. Having said that, I usually finish the album at 4 & 20.

Jmac1979 likes this.
  16. Randoms

Randoms Aerie Faerie Nonsense

The Beatles - Abbey Road.

Excellent album, love the. John songs, the George songs and the medley.

My only regret is not the inclusion of Maxwell's Silver Hammer, but Her Majesty.

cquiller1, Jmac1979 and carlwm like this.
  17. Randoms

Led Zeppelin - II.

Another excellent album that I played to death in my earlier years. Played more sparingly now, but still very enjoyable.

Jmac1979 and carlwm like this.
  18. cquiller1

cquiller1 Forum Resident

I love CSNY. Deja Vu is definitely a highlight in their discography.

carlwm likes this.
  19. Randoms

Many excellent tracks, some bland.

I "borrowed" my Dad's single of Bridge Over Troubled Water back in the seventies, and even as a youngster, Art's vocals had exactly that affect on me. Listening to the album recently, it still does.

Jmac1979 and carlwm like this.
  20. carlwm

carlwm Forum Resident

I love most of Simon & Garfunkel's music but I do, sometimes, wish that Art had taken on more lead vocals. Extraordinary voice.

I quite like both in their solo guises but for me, neither managed to hit the heights of their collaboration.

Jmac1979 and Randoms like this.
  21. cquiller1

cquiller1 Forum Resident

"The Boxer" is my all-time favorite Simon & Garfunkel song.

ARK, Jmac1979, Randoms and 1 other person like this.
  22. cquiller1

cquiller1 Forum Resident

CCR's Cosmo's Factory:

Track List:

Side One
    1. "Ramble Tamble" 7:09
    2. "Before You Accuse Me" Ellas McDaniel 3:24
    3. "Travelin' Band‡" 2:07
    4. "Ooby Dooby" Wade Moore, Dick Penner 2:05
    5. "Lookin' Out My Back Door" 2:31
    6. "Run Through the Jungle†" 3:09

Side Two
    1. "Up Around the Bend†" 2:40
    2. "My Baby Left Me" Arthur Crudup 2:17
    3. "Who'll Stop the Rain‡" 2:28
    4. "I Heard It Through the Grapevine" Norman Whitfield, Barrett Strong 11:05
    5. "Long As I Can See the Light"

CCR at their best. My favorites are: Before You Accuse Me, Travelin Band, Lookin' Out My Back Door, Up Around the Bend, Who'll Stop the Rain, and Long as I Can See the Light.

Randoms likes this.
  23. Randoms

My Father loved S&G, had many of their LPs, so I grew up with them. This obviously rubbed off as I bought the outstanding The Complete Album Collection, CD box set a few years ago.

I am delighted that I saw them for their reunion gig at Wembley Stadium, playing the similar set the the concert From Central Park.

The world is a better place with some Simon And Garfunkel!

carlwm and Jmac1979 like this.
  24. Jmac1979

Be patient lol. Cosmos Factory will be soon

cquiller1 and Randoms like this.
  25. Randoms

Crosby, Stills & Nash - Déjà Vu

An album I bought on LP, but for some reason didn't play it much.

Bought the CD a couple of years ago and realised I've deprived myself of some beautiful music.

ARK, Jmac1979 and carlwm like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.