Everybody Loves Raymond or King Of Queens? Poll/Discussion

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by Timeless Classics, Jan 22, 2021.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. a customer

a customer Forum Resident

I really liked the episodes of raymond when the scenes were with 5 an 6 cast members
    Near the end the family of rays brothers wife are funny. Pee wee herman i guess was replaced by chris elliot . Chris was funny on both of the shows.
    I voted king of queens

2. Timeless Classics

Timeless Classics Senior Member Thread Starter

The crossover of the 2 shows were funny. I liked the early King of Queens episode when Ray/Debra come over to Doug/Carrie's for dinner. Doug tries to fix the cable in the attic and Doug gets stuck. He does the random "Rocky/Mick" scene from Rocky (which is hilariously random) and he ends up with the red ring around stomach where Carrie says he looks like Saturn.

DME1061 and a customer like this.
  3. a customer

a customer Forum Resident

I liked the episode where he has the flu and dreams sequences of jeffersons brians song etc.
    Made me think they were aware of cultural history of movies and tv

utopiarun and Timeless Classics like this.
  4. Wildest cat from montana

Wildest cat from montana Humble Reader

She was annoying and he was an idiot.

swandown likes this.
  5. DME1061

DME1061 Forum Resident

Exactly. Our oldest son is having some health issues lately. FYI network had KoQ on all night. My wife and I watched a few episodes and helped take our mind off what he and our daughter in law are dealing with.

Timeless Classics likes this.
  6. Monosterio

Monosterio Forum Resident

I’m looking over some of the most beloved episodes of King of Queens, and the show was better than I said earlier. For those who know the episode titles, here are some of my favorites:

G’Night Stalker
    Furious Gorge
    Lush Life
    Pole Lox
    Tank Heaven
    Awful Bigamy

And there’s the episode (not sure the title) where Doug is at the library and needs to clear a computer for Carrie to use. He notices that the girl using the computer is checking out a site about dinosaurs, and he tells her how frustrated dinosaurs must have been having big dingalings but short arms. :D

Anyway, I still prefer Raymond, but KoQ was pretty darn good.

MrGrumpy and Timeless Classics like this.
  7. Timeless Classics

I need to compile a list of my favorite episodes at some point too. Good list!

Monosterio likes this.
  8. Monosterio

Thanks. Another one: “Affidavit Justice,” where Doug pretends to work at Carrie’s firm so he can play on their softball team.

Some other time I’ll list my favorite Raymond episodes.

9. Monosterio

Here’s the KoQ scene I referenced earlier, from the episode “Class Struggle”:

10. Trashman

Trashman Forum Resident

Disliked both shows. They are typical formulaic comedies where the husband is well-meaning, but dumb and the wife is smart, but nagging. I'm not expecting high art here, but a little originality isn't too much to ask for.

razerx and MrGrumpy like this.
  11. carlwm

carlwm Forum Resident

A sense of humour is a very singular thing. With respect to fans of both shows, neither have managed to raise a smile with me. I will add the caveat that I've only seen two or three episodes of either.

12. Armjim

Armjim Music is indeed a gift from Heaven

I went with Everybody Loves Raymond-as perfect an ensemble cast as any sitcom. I enjoyed it tremendously. I did watch King of Queens and also enjoyed it also.

13. utopiarun

utopiarun "on the road to Utopia"

King of Queens is my favorite show of all time. I have been watching Raymond reruns and it should have been called either Here Comes Marie or Meddling Mother because for 9 years almost every episode revolves around Marie, how her sons are afraid of her, how she knocks Debra and Frank’s one liners which in my opinion are the highlights of the show. Ray is an idiot who overreacts to everything. Doesn’t it get boring episode after episode?

I find the King of Queens has more “different “ situations that kept it interesting and funny. And having Jerry Stiller was icing on the cake.

14. Bhobb

Bhobb Crate Digger

KoQ by a country mile. Except for Raymond's dad, that show was a dud. Not Everybody Loves Raymond.

15. Veronica Mars

Veronica Mars Forum Resident

I hated Patricia Heatons character. All she did was ride Ray and not in the good way.

16. Timeless Classics

If she didn't, there wouldn't be much to work with and would a very boring show. The playing off of each other's personality is what made it work for me. Her anger/yelling is what made many of Ray's jokes work so well You needed someone with Debra's personality in the show to make it work and thought she played it really well. A lot of the tension stemmed with Ray's family (which is the main premise of the show - the interplay within the family), and I found the anger hilarious - she just didn't know what to do anymore but yell and flip out a lot of the time. As in this clip:

Last edited: Jan 24, 2021
    Monosterio likes this.
  17. Monosterio

I totally agree. As I said earlier, the show wasn’t very good until Debra changed from nice and sweet to combative.

18. Monosterio

This scene from the movie Knocked Up may explain why some people aren’t crazy about Raymond:

My favorite episodes:

She’s the One
    The Angry Family
    Bad Moon Rising
    Lucky Suit
    Marie’s Sculpture
    Robert’s Date
    Boob Job
    P.T. & A.
    The Power of No

19. cwitt1980

cwitt1980 Senior Member

Raymond for the parents. That's about it.

20. Denim Chicken

Denim Chicken Dayman, fighter of the Nightman

King of Queens. I have a fondness for both shows though because I would watch them every week with my parents.

Love this moment in The Strike episode. Doug reminds me of my dad so much here.

DME1061 and Timeless Classics like this.
  21. gkella

gkella Glen Kellaway From The Basement

I liked both these shows.
    My wife friggin loves them...
    She can watch every episode a thousand times.
    Now that they are past and in reruns, I like watching King Of Queens much more.
    I am finding Raymond kind of annoying.
    Although there is one Raymond episode that might be one of the funniest
    half hours of comedy I have ever seen..
    The episode when Debra is having her “monthlies” and Ray is scared to death of her.

22. MrGrumpy

MrGrumpy Forum Resident

Was Ray never not scared of Debra?

23. gkella

gkella Glen Kellaway From The Basement

True..

24. Rocker

Rocker Senior Member

That's one of things I hate most about the show. She just comes off as a nagging bitch all the time. What kind of man is going to put up with that? If I was in Ray's position, I'd be serving up divorce papers so fast it would make her head spin.

Veronica Mars and MrGrumpy like this.
  25. Playloud

Playloud Nobody’s Hero

ELR could be just a little mean spirited at times.

King of Queens is more blue collar “Everyman” kind of show which worked way better.

DME1061 and MrGrumpy like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.