Everything Eloy

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by deredordica, Mar 27, 2018.

1. I hear the Heep sound in Eloy's early albums too. Power and Passion has a 2-3 songs I like, but the story is really silly and most of it does not connect with me.

deredordica likes this.
  2. Old Zorki II

Old Zorki II Storm Watcher

Well, I am not comparing of course, but story in Mozart "Magic Flute" is also absolutely weird, but... :uhhuh:
    I learned long time ago to kind of "ignoring lyrics" when listening to music, a wonderful skill every married man eventually will acquire.

deredordica and Pete Puma like this.
  3. I agree and have that skill too, but Boremann's narration really stands out making it difficult to ignore. Still, your technique works for many other hackneyed progressive rock albums.

deredordica likes this.
  4. jeddy

jeddy Forum Resident

listened to some samples on this thread and was very interested in getting some Eloy...
    Picked up "Floating" and thought it would be kind of spacey krautrock jams and it KIND OF IS....

Just sounds like Amon Dull ii
    I mean....that's a good thing but I thought they R-E-A-L-L-Y sounded like Amon Dull ii

I don't know....what discs should I get that aren't so....rocky....

deredordica and Pete Puma like this.
  5. I suggest sampling Ocean or Silent Cries and Mighty Echoes and see how they work for you. Neither is like Floating, but both are excellent and may be their two most popular releases to date.

deredordica likes this.
  6. I just recently picked up their two mid-late 90s releases The Tide Returns Forever and Ocean 2 - The Answer. Both were a nice surprise for me -a real return to their progressive sound of the late 70s -but also a nod here and there to their early 80s sound. Strong songs, well produced and a real band effort. I am not sure I will go further along with their catalog as the successive albums get weaker reviews and apparently Frank's voice started to deteriorate this century (happens to most of us).

I have sampled Destination and Ra and have mixed feelings about them. Neither are "bad", but they don't really sound like Eloy to me. I like most of the songs on Ra, but the late 80s production can be hard to enjoy. Metromania may get my vote for most underrated Eloy album. The songs are mostly good and the keys still sound nice (like on Planets). Performance is perhaps too slick for its own good, but I still enjoy most of the songs.

A fun band to investigate and collect as their sound was always evolving and usually in interesting directions.

deredordica likes this.
  7. No love for Dawn? Its not in my top 10, but it still has some nice material.

I'll have a crack at ranking their albums:
    1) Ocean
    2) Silent Cries and Mighty Echoes
    3) Colours
    4) Time To Turn
    5) Planets
    6) Floating
    7) The Tide Returns Forever
    8) Ocean 2
    9) Metromania
    10) Performance
    11) Dawn
    12) Power and The Passion
    13) Ra
    14) Live

Not rated because I have not listened to them enough to form a strong opinion:
    Eloy (S/T)
    Inside
    Destination
    all their albums released this century.

Last edited: Sep 1, 2020
    deredordica and Old Zorki II like this.
  8. Old Zorki II

I think there is some good materials this century, especially "The Vision, the Sword and The Pyre" part II is very good. And "Reincarnation on Stage" not for a live material.
    Speaking about live - I am shocked that you rated Live that low, I think it is great.
    For me Inside is much more interesting then Floating, but I like your high rating for often dismissed Colours-Planets-Time To Turn "trilogy", I also think it is great stuff.

jdthebrit1, deredordica and Pete Puma like this.
  9. I guess I rated Live low because I didn't think the Dawn and Ocean material was improved-on live. I do like the second half of the CD ( Mutiny, Gliding Into Light And Knowledge, Inside and Atlantis' Agony). Mutiny does improve on the studio version. I still need to get an old cd of Inside -just a matter of time before I track down a cheap one.

deredordica likes this.
  10. I gave Dawn another try this week to see if I could hear what others are hearing that rate it so high. My takeaways are the following:
    Pros: the drumming, bass and Moog is excellent in almost every song -a great start for this new ensemble.
    Cons: the string synth is overused and mixed way to high -it really does put me off several songs. Also, Franks vocals are probably at their very worst on this album -plus the lyrics are inane. And finally 25 minutes of musical ideas stretched to 40. I still can't really rate this album very high because of these issues.

deredordica likes this.
  11. I just got my hands on Inside yesterday and gave it a couple of listens. It's definitely a close cousin to Floating. Land Of No Body is a bit padded-out, but the good parts are worth a listen. My favorite track so far is Future City -it has an infectious groove. I also notice that an early section of 'Land' includes the riff from Daylight (Power and the Passion). This album, along with Floating, remind me a bit of early Nektar.

deredordica likes this.
  12. The Czar

The Czar New Member

I just purchased from Inside through Metromania (and Ocean 2 and both Chronicles) on CD.

I found Inside used and then became hooked. I almost stopped at Time to Turn, but I kept going back to Performance and Metromania on YouTube, so I just ordered them with Ocean 2.

I am listening in chronological order and am on Power and the Passion right now, and it's fantastic.
    I received Colours before most of the other cds arrived, and I have really enjoyed that one too.

I like that vocally he's not really like anyone else. Every once in a while I hear similarities with Ian Anderson, but I love Jethro Tull, so that is a plus.

I also recently picked up three Jane cds.
    Together, Fire,water,earth&Aiy and Jane III. I just haven't listened to them much yet.

jdthebrit1, Pete Puma and deredordica like this.
  13. Chains

Chains Forum Resident

As a casual fan, I also feel a Tull vibe to some of the vocal bits.

deredordica likes this.
  14. Does anyone know if their was an official CD release of 1980 album Colours prior to the release of the 2005 Harvest/EMI release? I cant find any listed in Discogs, except for an "unofficial" Russian release from 1995.

deredordica likes this.
  15. Ecki

Ecki Forum Resident

Hi, all Eloy albums on Harvest, i.e. Inside to Metromania, have been published on CD from around mid 1989 onwards (no remaster, first CD edition).
    I bought the Colours CD in September 1989 and it should be this one: Eloy – Colours (CD)

BTW my very first Eloy CD was RA when released in early 1988

Pete Puma and deredordica like this.
  16. Thanks!

17. LaserBeam

LaserBeam Senior Member

Great thread.

I love Eloy! Great band. I love the atmosphere that their music evokes. Typical German style to my ears.

When their first CDs came out in the 80's I couldn't afford them, so later I started buying them second hand, and I also bought some remastered ones new.
    I found that I preferred the sound of the original CD's and I am still hunting for some of them to replace the remasters.

18. gkella

gkella Glen Kellaway From The Basement

I just ordered this album on CD after being turned onto it recently.
    I think I have a lot of catching up to do..

19. ganma

ganma Senior Member

Now listening to Ra. Better than it's reputation, I think. It has a very 80s production, but the material is quite good. It reminds me of 80s Alan Parsons Project in parts.
    Eloy – Ra
    Label: ACI Records – SPV 85-4802
    Format:
    CD, Album
    Released: 1988
    Genre: Rock
    Style: Space Rock, Prog Rock
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

20. Old Zorki II

Remember viewing Eloy documentary and being surprised how highly Frank is rating this record. For me it is so soaked in 80s sound that I just cannot get myself pass it. It is a rare LP though )). glad I have it.

21. Canadian Studmuffin

Canadian Studmuffin Forum Resident

I was given their album "Ocean" during a YouTube CD exchange and I loved it and I will definitely buy more of their music in the near future. I even love the vocals which I know are a turn off for some people. I find them endearing.

LaserBeam, deredordica and ganma like this.
  22. ganma

ganma Senior Member

I picked up this 1995 CD of Performance.
    Label: LaserLight Digital – 16 133
    It's pretty compressed with boosted bass but it's not brick-walled to the level of the 2005 remasters I've seen. The sound is not bad if you're in the mood for more bass. I have the EMI Electrola – CDP 538-7 92501 2 too and that's still my go to for this album.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

23. Old Zorki II

Good timing, just arrived to my door 1989 repress of Eloy, the only one repress with actual opening dustbin cover (all new ones do not have such cover) Original in decent condition now cost >$500, I paid ~$80 for this repress in great condition, and it was a great deal.
    Very happy, my Eloy vinyl collection is now complete.
    [​IMG]

24. Old Zorki II

Finally listened to Eloy S/T with attention it deserved. Second time, first time (digital) was underwhelming.
    Erich Schriever's voice was very good, kind of similar to David Byron or Rod Evans, with Uriah Heep and Deep Purple influences galore, political musings notwithstanding.
    Main riff from Dillus Roady is almost exact copy of "Gypsy" from Uriah Heep classic Very 'Eavy Very 'Umble, and it is just an example. If not name, you will never guess that "Inside" is recorded by the same band (and really, it was not the same band :) ).
    Erich Schriever's departure was good for Eloy, but I wonder why with his very capable voice never found his music, perhaps politics swallowed his attention. At least he did not die young like Bernd Pulst from first Jane...
    Great for collection, but not sure it will be in heavy rotation.

ganma likes this.