Everything Wrong With ' The Godfather Part 3'...And Your Favourite Scenes From It

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by Wildest cat from montana, Feb 11, 2024.

1. Wildest cat from montana

Wildest cat from montana Humble Reader Thread Starter

This movie just doesn't cut it. Never liked it.

The first two Godfather movies are great. Classic films fully deserving of the acclaim given them.
    So what happened with Part 3? So much that it's difficult to put a finger on any specific thing.

Regardless...what are your favourite scenes in it?

Michael, unclefred and Troyh like this.
  2. GregM

GregM The expanding man

As much as I don't like GF3, I gotta love Al.

3. barryalan

barryalan Cat in Space

I confess to only seeing snippets of it on TV. The reviews weren't so good when it came out, and the first two films are so marvelous and tell such a complete story I just wasn't interested in seeing a years later continuation.

I guess the film has as a subplot that Pope John Paul 1 was assassinated as some sort of mob plot? Shades of JFK if so!
    Conspiracy theory flicks don't really interest me at all anymore. But I'm interested in reading what people say, I've been known to change my mind on occasion!

4. Doctor Worm

Doctor Worm Romans 6:23

My issue is that it’s just boring. I fall asleep every time and wake up for the ending.

5. S. P. Honeybunch

S. P. Honeybunch Presidente de Kokomo, Endless Mikelovemoney

6. Purple Jim

Purple Jim Senior Member

Haven't seen it for ages. I seem to remember that Eli Wallach overacts somewhat.

7. Wildest cat from montana

There's no such subplot. The Pope is gravely ill.

8. Graham

Graham Senior Member

It's a very good film, especially in its recent Coda edit. The problem is it isn't a classic like the first two.

What's wrong with it - no Robert Duvall, Sofia Coppola's acting is bad in some scenes.

9. malcolm reynolds

malcolm reynolds Handsome, Humble, Genius

Sofia Coppola gets all the hate but for me Andy Garcia's "acting" ruins the film for me. Never been a fan of his. I got the latest BD release of Jennifer 8 and he is awful in it too. His overacting brings out the eyerolling in me.

10. Kahunasunset

Kahunasunset Forum Resident

Al Pacino was just playing Al Pacino. It didn't seem like it was the same Michael Corleone we seen in The Godfather and in Part II.

11. formu_la

formu_la I'm not a robot

Bingo. Shoes don't stretch, men don't change.

12. Raf

Raf Senior Member

MrCJF likes this.
  13. Wildest cat from montana

And Pacino's is comically over the top throughout.

Michael and formu_la like this.
  14. Moonbeam Skies

Moonbeam Skies Forum Resident

One thing that bothers me is that Michael Corleone got swindled out of $600 million and there was not one peep after that about if he is flat broke or what. Are we to believe that $600 million is not a huge amount of money to the Corleones? The rest of the film should have been about Michael working at McDonald's.

15. barryalan

barryalan Cat in Space

Oh, okay...i must be confusing this flick with The Pope Must Die or something else then... ;)

16. I can never finish this film, so I gave up. It's ridiculous on every level. That's what's wrong with it. I guess my favorite part would be the end credits, which I've never seen. :p

17. Brother_Rael

Brother_Rael Senior Member

I've watched it a couple of times since the Coda version was released. It's a good film - good to see Talia Shire getting a bigger role and the other minor characters from the earlier films. It keeps the continuity of the family going and the (endless) vendetta. No, it's not a Godfather I or II, but it's still a good movie. Perhaps Francis Ford Coppolla should've been a tad more restrained in the casting of Sofia Coppolla, but even then, it doesn't ruin the film as has been mooted over the years.

18. mike's beard

mike's beard Forum Resident

After Scent of a Woman it seems Al just decided 'I'm gonna act like this in every movie from now on'. Barking out his lines while bugging out his eyes.

19. Jack Lord

Jack Lord Forum Resident

I saw it only once and was so appalled I never revisited.

But besides the infamaous pull me back in scene by Pacino, I recall two decent scenes with Joe Mantegna. One where is defending his record with the other Mafia Kings and the other where Andy Garcia kills him.

That's it. Seriously, you make a sequel that is arguably better than the first. That is rare. I cannot believe anyone thought they could go for the hat trick so many years later.

20. Chemguy

Chemguy Forum Resident

Precisely how I feel about it.

Big fan of the way Michael passes away. Nice touch, there.

Brother_Rael likes this.
  21. Paice

Paice Forum Resident

"Hiya, Joe ... Zasa."

And the bullet through the mirror scene. That was bad ass

22. Fastnbulbous

Fastnbulbous Doubleplus Ungood

Every scene with Sofia is straight cringe. Even when she has a good line, like "I'll give you a hint, he's Italian," she's just god awful.
    I know this isn't a novel critique, but I FF through every scene she's in. Do that and GF3 is watchable. Hell, it's not even bad.
    I do like the dressing down of Vincent and Connie after the Zaza hit, and the meeting with the future Pope. Fine acting there.

Boom Operator likes this.
  23. Wildest cat from montana

Oh, just a tad but he is outmatched by Pacino.

24. Wildest cat from montana

Hoo-hah!

S. P. Honeybunch and GregM like this.
  25. Wildest cat from montana

I'll say this about Part 3 ...
    I agree with you. Michael's death scene is well done and the best thing in the movie.

RunningWithScissors and Chemguy like this.