EVG and Pfanstiehl nude elliptical list

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by PhxJohn, May 27, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. PhxJohn

PhxJohn Forum Resident Thread Starter

EVG:

Panasonic EPS30ES
    Excell S700ER, QD700
    ADC RQLM32
    ADC XLM MKIII
    AT ATS11E
    AT ATS12
    AT ATN13EAV
    AT ATN15XE
    AT ATN71E
    AT ATN95E
    AT ATN110E
    AT ATN120E
    AT ATN112EP
    AT ATN122EP
    AT ATN3472EP, BE
    AT ATN3651E
    Pan EPS270ED, EPS53STED
    Panasonic EPS23ED
    Panasonic EPS205
    Sony ND200E, ND250E
    Philips GP331
    Acutex 310/II
    Nagaoka JN322
    Ortofon N15E, NF15E
    Ortofon N15E/II, Universal
    Ortofon LM & OM Series
    Ortofon OM PRO
    Ortofon DN-150E
    Shure N44E
    Shure N55E, N80E
    Shure N75ED Type II
    Shure N91ED
    Shure N92E
    Shure N93E
    Shure N75EC, N75EJ
    Shure N95ED
    Shure N95EJ
    Shure N70EJ
    Shure N97ED
    SHURE R25, R47, R1000 SERIES, 3X, 5X, 8X
    Sanyo ST09
    Sanyo ST31J, ST40X
    Pickering D1500ATE2
    Stanton D71EE
    Pickering D400
    Pickering D200
    Pickering D1200

Pfanstiehl:
    4608-DEX Pickering D4000
    4760-DHE Shure N75HE, HEJ
    4767-DHE Shure N95HE,HE/D
    4771-DHE Shure N97HE, XE
    4773-DHL Shure N111HE
    4822-DEEE Stanton D6800EEE

EVG: There will be additions of Empire and Shure 'VN' models. The Pfanstiehl list will have additions if and when they decide to add more models.

BrentB, The FRiNgE, Lucca90 and 4 others like this.
  2. Dr. J.

Dr. J. Music is in my soul

Just bought the nude stylus for the Shure 91ed after the glowing reviews over at AK. Thanks.

The FRiNgE and PhxJohn like this.
  3. PhxJohn

The Pfanstiehl naming is a bit confusing to some. The HE does NOT indicate hyperelliptical. They are nude ellipticals. I think something like 4767-DEN would have been more appropriate.

JohnO likes this.
  4. MCM_Fan

MCM_Fan Senior Member

I have EVG Swiss nude ellipticals for the Shure M75 and M91 arriving today from thevoiceofmusic.com ("out for delivery" according to the USPS tracking). I have my M91ED with original Shure Made in the USA, 0.2 x 0.7 mil nude elliptical set up on my table waiting to do a comparison. After all the glowing reviews, I'm looking forward to giving these a try. The price is certainly right. I'm not expecting SAS/Microline/MicroRidge level performance, just something a step above the standard bonded elliptical.

PhxJohn likes this.
  5. Dr. J.

Cool! I can't wait to hear your impressions.

PhxJohn likes this.
  6. JohnO

JohnO Senior Member

Are these replacing the older bondeds?

PhxJohn likes this.
  7. nolazep

nolazep Burrito Enthusiast

I have an older AT cart (3000PS) that I've been using Phanstiehl "AUDIO TECHNICA NEEDLE AT11E AT12E AT96E AT88E 200-DEC" replacement styli for. Sadly, the TT it's on is stuck at work for a few more weeks. Will the nude EVG ATS-12 fit my cart?

8. PhxJohn

For EVG, yes. For Pfanstiehl it depends on the model.

9. MCM_Fan

MCM_Fan Senior Member

Yes, if your cartridge takes the same stylus as the AT11E/AT88E, the ATS12 will fit. When my AT88E needed a new stylus, I upgraded it to a genuine ATS12. Fit perfect, sounded good and tracked well. Just be aware that the ATS12 may require a lower tracking force, at least that's the case with the genuine AT styli. Recommended VTF for the AT11E (green grip) = 2 - 3g. Recommended VTF for the ATS12 (blue grip) = 1.25 - 2g. Not sure what the recommended VTF will be for the EVG Swiss nude. Best to ask whoever you're buying it from.

PhxJohn likes this.
  10. MCM_Fan

MCM_Fan Senior Member

They're here:

[​IMG]

Upon comparing weight of the EVG Swiss nude to the original Shure Hi Track and finding it within .01g, I was hopeful that I could swap styli back and forth without adjusting VTF, VTA or alignment. That would make it easy to compare the two. Unfortunately, the cantilever on the EVG Swiss nude is 1mm longer than the original Shure. That means I need to adjust alignment and VTA when swapping styli - which really slows down the process.

Listening to the first album now. I don't want to post any subjective comments until I've given it some more listening time. Probably in a day or two, when I've had a chance to do some extended critical listening of familiar material.

PhilBiker, Dr. J. and PhxJohn like this.
  11. PhilBiker

PhilBiker sh.tv member number 666

I have a cart body from Stanton that will probably work with some of the Stanton/Pickering ones. I wonder how they would sound....

PhxJohn likes this.
  12. PhxJohn

Great hopefully !

PhilBiker likes this.
  13. Dr. J.

I'm glad this thread got bumped because my EVG nude stylus arrived from the Voice of Music today. I am only four albums in but so far my impressions are very favorable. I'll report back in a few more days.

PhxJohn likes this.
  14. MCM_Fan

MCM_Fan Senior Member

Please do! What cartridge are you running it on?

Still enjoying mine on my Shure M91ED. I'll eventually post a more detailed review, but for now, suffice it to say, I'm enjoying it enough that I haven't had the urge to swap it out for one of my more expensive cartridges with a more advanced tip profile.

I'm not saying it's as "good" as those more expensive options, but it is very pleasant and enjoyable sounding and hasn't proven offensive or irritating in any way.

patient_ot, PhxJohn and Dr. J. like this.
  15. Dr. J.

Sorry, the M91ed like you. Trying out some Horace Silver now.

PhxJohn likes this.
  16. Dr. J.

I think I have twenty hours on the new nude EVG stylus for the Shure 91ed, so thought I'd post a little more about my impressions. In short, this is the stylus to get if you don't want to shell out $250 for the Jico SAS. I compared the new stylus with a non-nude EVG and a Bliss-made 3x7mm stylus from Turntableneedles.com, which gets very positive reviews. The nude EVG is indeed quieter in the groove, more transparent, and open sounding with the same amount but more focused bass, which as we all know makes this cart great for Rock music. But what struck me most was the micro details I was picking out. It's there and etched more with finer stylus profiles like my VM95ml, but the nude just adds it to the mix in a very organic, unobtrusive way. Don't get me wrong, the VM95ml is the better cart, but the Shure, as it should be, is much more euphonic. It reminds me of a much better version of the Nagaoka MP-110: very tight yet thunderous bass with a rich, warm, and big sound profile that has just that little bit of extra transparency and resolution.

I usually demo carts with Steely Dan's Black Cow because of the awesome, tight bass lines and delicate ride cymbals during the bridge and outro. The AT carts can really bring out the airiness of the cymbals and the delicate touches of the drummer but the richness is not there and they can come off as unnatural sounding. The only cart that was able to do both was the Shure V15 iv with original stylus. The EVG nude comes close but not all the way there, but for $34 what can you do? I'll be keeping this in the rotation for a while. If you're looking for a cart in the $100 range, this combo would be at the top of my list.

17. PhxJohn

Great review ! Thank you.

MCM_Fan and Dr. J. like this.
  18. PhxJohn

Nude ellipticals being delivered to Russell Industries on the 15th of June. EVG brand.

ADC XLM MKIII - NUDE
    AT ATS11E (Color Green)NUDE
    AT ATN71E – NUDE

AT ATN112EP – NUDE
    AT ATN122EP – NUDE

AT ATN3472EP, BE – NUDE
    AT ATN3651E – NUDE

Pan EPS270ED, EPS53STED-NUDE
    Panasonic EPS23ED - NUDE

Ortofon N15E/II, Universal-NUDE
    Ortofon LM & OM Series - NUDE
    Ortofon DN-150E – NUDE

Shure N55E, N80E – NUDE
    Shure N75ED Type II – NUDE
    Shure N91ED – NUDE

Shure N95ED - NUDE
    Shure N70EJ – NUDE
    Shure N97ED – NUDE
    Stanton D71EE – NUDE

19. Dr. J.

Thanks, but what does this mean for us? I just Googled them, and they don't seem to have an online shopping presence. Do you have a link?

PhxJohn likes this.
  20. PhxJohn

You can buy directly but you will pay list price:
    Russell Industries - Split Loom Tubing
    Other sources are eBay, KABUSA, The Voice of Music.

Ripblade likes this.
  21. Phil Thien

Phil Thien Forum Resident

Thanks for keeping us informed.

Any idea what would be the difference in the ATN112EP and ATN122EP if they both have the same nude diamond? Just a different color or something?

22. PhxJohn

I have no idea. Hopefully someone more familiar with A/T cartridges will chime in. I am a Shure, Pickering, Stanton, and GE guy myself.

23. MCM_Fan

MCM_Fan Senior Member

Russell Industries is the US importer/distributor for EVG styli. They purchase them from the manufacturer, import them to the US and then resell them at wholesale prices to US dealers, who then sell them to us.

So, what this means to us is if Russell is getting them in on the 15th (next Monday) watch for them to start showing up at your favorite EVG dealer (thevoiceofmusic.com, stereoneedleslady on eBay, etc.) around the end of next week. Not all dealers will carry all models. So, check with your dealer to see what they will be getting.

24. MCM_Fan

MCM_Fan Senior Member

Most likely just a color difference of the grips. Those are P-Mount (T4P) cartridges. The original ATN112EP was a 0.4 x 0.7 mil bonded elliptical and the ATN122EP was a line contact (I believe it was a bonded line contact and the more expensive ATN142LP was a nude line contact). On some AT models, the grip color is an indication of recommended tracking force, but since these are P-Mounts, they should all be optimized for 1.25g with a range of something like 1.0 - 2.0g or 0.8 - 1.8g.

So yes, I believe in this case, the only difference will be in the color of the grip. They should both be 0.3 x 0.7 mil nude synthetic ellipticals with a similar, or largely overlapping, recommended VTF range.

I'm surprised they aren't offering an ATN132EP, as that was the nude elliptical in the series (0.2 x 0.7 nude elliptical on a tapered, anodized aluminum cantilever). The AT132EP was actually a higher speced and more expensive cartridge than the AT112EP and AT122LP. Perhaps they don't have a grip in the correct color (bright orange) for this model.

25. MCM_Fan

MCM_Fan Senior Member

Thanks for posting this. Interesting to see they are supporting some of the AT P-Mount carts (112EP, 122LP and 3472 series). Since I already have my N75ED and N91ED Swiss nudies from the last batch, I'm not seeing anything I need on this new list, but am eagerly awaiting replacements for the Empire 2000E/III and Shure VN35 /VN45 (either is fine, I can live without the stabilizer brush). I'll keep watching this thread for those to show up.

PhxJohn likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.