EVG and Pfanstiehl nude elliptical list

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by PhxJohn, May 27, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Phil Thien

Phil Thien Forum Resident

I believe the ATN122LP (white grip) was the titanium-bonded line contact on a tapered cantilever. I think the ATN122EP (caramel grip?) was a 3x7 bonded elliptical.

The ATN132EP (orange grip?) was I think a 3x7 nude elliptical on a tapered cantilever.

The original ATN112EP (blue grip) was a 4x7 bonded elliptical with a straight anodized cantilever.

By the description, the EVG stylus should I think have a caramel grip. Not sure why they'd sell it with two different grip colors, figured there may be some other distinction.

2. Phil Thien

By the way, they had the Signet AM10/20/30S line which used I think pretty much the same styluses as the p-mount line. I think.

3. MCM_Fan

MCM_Fan Senior Member

Sorry, I was thinking of the ATN122LP when I typed that. I'd actually forgotten that there was also an ATN122EP.

Definitely a 0.2 x 0.7 mil nude elliptical on a tapered aluminum cantilever. I have one of these and it's a very nice sounding cart/stylus.

4. PhxJohn

PhxJohn Forum Resident Thread Starter

Maybe I mentioned that there will be EVG for Empire when the grips are available. EVG for Shure 'VN' models is questionable. The grips will go for Pfanstiehl bonded first. Then to Pfanstiehl nude(maybe) VN35E/VN45E. Only if there is enough supply will EVG brand have VN35E/VN45E. So watch both brands.

MCM_Fan likes this.
  5. JohnO

JohnO Senior Member

I have the same question. The original 112EP is .4 x .7, the original 122EP is .3 x .7. Gary at VoM will probably note the difference, if there is a difference, when he gets them.

I am also "surprised" that they aren't making one for the VM95, which has a new mount, not a 35 year old mount, but they should do it. It would be an equivalent for the VM95EN, or VMN95EN.

6. MCM_Fan

MCM_Fan Senior Member

Yes, you did. I'm really looking forward to that. I have an Empire 2000E/III with the original 0.2 x 0.7 mil nude elliptical. It has some life left on it, but won't last forever. So, it will be nice to have an affordable replacement nude elliptical for it.

I get most of my replacement styli from Gary at TVoM. He carries both EVG and Pfansteihl. So, hopefully, he will have whatever becomes available. Right now, I just have Kyowa and Pfansteihl VN35E bonded ellipticals for my V15 Type IV. Even though it cost less, I prefer the Kyowa to the bonded Pfansteihl. I have a JICO SAS on the way, but it's taking forever to get here. It will be my ultimate stylus for the V15 Type IV, but I'll still buy a nude elliptical when they become available. I am enjoying the EVG nude Swiss elliptical on my M91ED and it would be nice to have one for my V15 Type IV. The M91ED is a very good, enjoyable vintage Shure, readily available and very inexpensive, but the V15 Type IV is a step up in every way.

patient_ot likes this.
  7. PhxJohn

I think I mentioned, Gary has not committed to carrying the EVG lineup. If he changes his mind, I will post it. I hope that he does carry the full line. I have expressed that but it is his business.

patient_ot likes this.
  8. Phil Thien

I hope he stocks them as well.

patient_ot and PhxJohn like this.
  9. PhxJohn

The best place to look for the EVG nude ellipticals is eBay. The nude ATN120E has been listed there since May 15th.

10. Phil Thien

Those look good. I'm waiting/hoping for one of the T4P mount types.

PhxJohn likes this.
  11. PhxJohn

Are they in the complete list at the beginning of the thread ?

12. PhilBiker

PhilBiker sh.tv member number 666

Sorry if this is a stupid question but where are you all buying these?

13. Phil Thien

Yep, the ATN122EP and ATN132EP variants.

If I stick with that style, I don't need to adjust much of anything when swapping.

PhxJohn likes this.
  14. Phil Thien

So far I think eBay is the primary source for a limited number of styles in the U.S., more are on the way to Russell Industries (distributor) who will then supply them to the dealers that sell them on eBay and elsewhere.

PhxJohn likes this.
  15. PhxJohn

You got it !

16. PhxJohn

I am going to hijack my own thread for a moment. BEWARE of sellers on eBay selling Chinese needles and stated they are assembled in the USA. Stereoneedleslady is an honest and very nice seller. She indicates 'China' in her listings of Chinese needles. They are easy to recognize. They have very short cantilever housings. Stubby. Hard to miss. Know your seller and know the product. Stick with brand names. PM me anytime concerning sellers and product.

PhilBiker likes this.
  17. BrentB

BrentB Urban Angler

Any idea when the Empire will be added? I am guessing they will be for the 2000 and similar models???

PhxJohn likes this.
  18. PhxJohn

They will be added when grips are available. I have no idea which models. Probably the most popular ones which I guess would include the 2000. The grips will probably go for Pfanstiehl needles first so EVG will get whatever is leftover if any.

BrentB and Ripblade like this.
  19. Ripblade

Ripblade Forum Resident

Who makes the grips?

20. PhxJohn

I have no idea. Suppliers are rarely revealed. JICO used to supply some until they cut everyone off. If you remember the EVG and Pfanstiehl VN45E grips that were hinged with the brush, those were supplied by JICO.

Ripblade likes this.
  21. PhilBiker

I found Voice Of Music had the one I need for my old AT10 cartridge (blue grip ATS12). I am looking forward to getting it under my microscope to peek. (the stylus in my avatar is an Audio Technica NOS one).

MCM_Fan likes this.
  22. PhxJohn

It is not a nude elliptical is it ? They have not even been delivered yet.

23. Phil Thien

I had thought OEM ATS12 styli had the straight cantilever? The one in your pic has the cantilever with the shaped end.

24. PhilBiker

The one in my pic is from an old Audio Technica cart.

25. PhilBiker

Hmm.. No longer available maybe I got the last one from the previous run.

Product Detail

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.