DCC Archive Evil Cover Versions

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Ian, Oct 26, 2001.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Ian

Ian Active Member Thread Starter

Since we have cool ones I think we should have some of the bad (or even truely wretched)

Bon Jovi - "The Boys Are Back In Town"
    Paint by numbers
    Dave Brock - "Bring It On Home"
    Oooooooh. It's bad.
    Hawkwind - "Gimme Shelter"
    Bizaare...
    Guns 'N' Roses - "Knockin' On Heaven's Door"
    I have a hard time hearing that song without hearing Axel's howling now... Thanks a lot.
    Elvis Presley - "Something"
    Painful.
    Nazereth - "Love Hurts"
    Bludgeoned beyond recognition
    Metallica - "Turn The Page"
    What the...
    And of Course...
    Phil Collins - "You Can't Hurry Love"
    Is the punishment for butchering a Motown classic still death? [​IMG]

You'll note that I didn't make any mention of the numerous cover versions of "Honey"

[ October 26, 2001: Message edited by: Ian ]

2. Gary

Gary Nauga Gort! Staff

I deliberately picked up "Spaced Out" which is a CD of some songs from records done back in the late '60's (or early '70's?). They feature L. Nimoy (Spock) and William Shatner (Capt. Kirk - before his toupee days). Spock at least tries to sing (very badly) but Capt. K ends up TALKING through the songs - AS CAPTIAN KIRK! The music - IMO - is even worse. Horrible....

The Capt. was trying to reach out to his fans in another medium....

Towers played it once - the staff laughing - and they drove out all the customers in the store! Since then Towers have left Canada. Coincidence? :eek: Some say it's not....

3. BradOlson

BradOlson Country/Christian Music Maven

While I am a huge Red Sovine fan, I do not really care for his cover of "Old Rivers" as much as I like the Walter Brennan original. C.W. McCall (yes, the artist known for "Convoy")'s "Roses For Mama" is much better than the Red Sovine recording of it. Red did do the definitive "Phantom 309" though (Tom Waits also covered it), and he did fine covers of "Truck Drivin' Son of a Gun," "Lay Down Sally," (yes the Clapton hit).

4. Unknown

Unknown Guest

Metallica - Whiskey in the Jar

Is that really a cover?

It doesn't matter -- it's awful.

5. Grant

Grant Life is a rock, but the radio rolled me!

That current version of "Lady Marmalade" by by those three very bad pop/r&b singers. They sound like three high school girls trying to sing in ths school talant show.

6. Holy Zoo

Holy Zoo Gort (Retired) :-)

Guns & Roses - Live & Let Die (original: McCartney (&Wings?))

Tiffany - I Think We're Alone Now (original: Tommy James & The Shondells)

And last, buy most certainly not least:

The entire motion picture soundtrack album to the Sgt. Peppers Lonely Hearts Club Band movie (with the lone exception of Aerosmith covering Come Together).

[​IMG]

7. Ian

Ian Active Member Thread Starter

Ah yes. Truly vomitous sludge.
    Got some more...

Motley Crue - "Helter Skelter"
    I don't know which is worse. That this has to be the LAMEST version of that song or that the people that I was partying with many moons ago thought that this was better than the Beatles original... Damn near got the bong stuck in my throat.
    Mick Jagger and David Bowie - "Dancing in the Street". Ummmm... Didn't the original inspire Jagger (and Richards) to come out with "Street Fighting Man"? How the mighty hath fallen.
    Kylie Minogue - "The Loco-Motion"
    Makes Grand Funk's version look good
    Rod Stewart - "Forever Young"
    Is this the same guy who covered "Tomorrow Is Such A Long Time" and "Only A Hobo"? Yowtch!
    Various - "The Long And Winding Road"
    This one has probably spawned the most covers of any Beatles song... All of them simply dreadful. [​IMG]
    S'all for now

8. pigmode

pigmode Active Member

So you didn't like that blondes rendition of Strawberry Fields?

Well, this one's definitely

not zesty:
    Gimme Shelter/ Grand Funck Railroad

[ October 27, 2001: Message edited by: pigmode ]

9. indy mike

indy mike Forum Pest

Howsabout Pat Boone warbling Tutti Frutti (although I cut Mr. White Bucks a ton of slack for having the cajones to push Dot Records to release the unbelivable rockabilly masterpiece "Love Me" by the Phantom - if you haven't heard this, you just might forgive old Pat for his limp takes on rocknroll!!!!) :cool:

10. Grant

Grant Life is a rock, but the radio rolled me!

Pat Boone totally redeemed himself when he decided to cover classic metal. The CD is loads of fun, and the best part, he now digs metal music, when just before he did the project he didn't know Ozzy from Leif Garrett.

11. indy mike

indy mike Forum Pest

Hey Grant, I think it shows ol' Pat's got a sense of humor!!! If I run across a used copy I just may snap it up... Let me add Billy Idol's Mony Mony butcher job to my list of good gone bad, and the saggy, flaccid Layla acoustic version by Eric Clapton (oops, guess he did the smoking original, but man that acoustic job makes me reach for the dial every time it comes on)...

12. Gary

Gary Nauga Gort! Staff

Oh yea, Indy Mike - the piano version of Layla is a tuner turner for sure!

You know what, DCC Board? I like G&R's version of Knocking on Heaven's Door! But I don't associate it with the original at all - I consider them two totally different tunes.

Maybe I'm warped :confused: :(

13. Unknown

Unknown Guest

Ever the contrarian, I think Metallica's "Whiskey In The Jar" is one of the best covers I've ever heard. ("WITJ" was originally an acoustic ballad)

14. Sckott

Sckott Hand Tighten Only.

Black Sabbath's version of Crow's "Evil Woman (Don't You Play Your Games With Me)".

It was only on the Vertigo LP in the UK, but now sits on the Castle resmaster export for the US, and is on the vinyl counterpart for both continents.

15. Andrew

Andrew Chairman of the Bored

The Hollies massacre of "Stop! In the Name of Love"

[​IMG]

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.