Examples of ridiculous CD prices

Discussion in 'Marketplace Discussions' started by thnkgreen, Dec 17, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Digital Morphine

Digital Morphine Forum Resident

2. juss100

juss100 Forum Resident

Yes I'm sure. I follow CDS I'm interested in online and usually they tend to get up and down dips as the occasional new copy comes on the market (which is why I check the prices of the ones I want frequently). Absolutely all of the Japanese CDs I've been following have doubled in price this last year, whilst everything else in the UK has been creeping upwards. There's no new stock coming through but dealers aren't currently lowering prices.

Eric_Generic likes this.
  3. Digital Morphine

Digital Morphine Forum Resident

I've been sorting through vinyl and i've just pulled out a copy of Dawn Of Possession that's still in the shrink. I had no idea it was so expensive on vinyl and CD.

nolazep likes this.
  4. MrSka57

MrSka57 Forum Resident

Digital Morphine likes this.
  5. Dave S

Dave S Forum Resident

ispace and Digital Morphine like this.
  6. Dave S

Dave S Forum Resident

I'm always suprized by
    Dadamah - This Is Not A Dream
    It sold just before Christmas for £40, and prices have been creeping upwards for almost a year. And it's not really that rare. 216 people own it.

7. For that kind of money you could hire the band to do a living room concert. Seriously.

Mr. LP Collector likes this.
  8. Eric_Generic

Eric_Generic Enigma

Every item on my amazon wishlist, or saved for later in my basket, has either become unavailable or gone up in price since the start of the year. Price increases due to Brexit, non-UK sellers pulling out for same, or just a general trend towards CDs becoming scarcer across the board. Maybe all of that.

EG.

9. lv70smusic

lv70smusic Senior Member

I searched amazon yesterday for various individual artists and was surprised that a lot of them have out of print cds listed with the price $902.81. Some of those same listings have other copies available at a price that one might expect for a used cd that likely has used copies available for little money in record stores across the U.S., yet the $900 price is the main one displayed. Not sure what that says about how amazon displays listings. Do these third party sellers "control" an entry that they create such that they are always listed as the main available seller, even if someone else comes along, matches the item in that listing, and then makes a copy available for $20? That seems crazy to me unless those third party sellers pay for each listing. Maybe amazon's policies have changed since they purged all of us small time sellers, but it used to be that it was free to list items there; it only cost money when an item sold. At any rate, in addition to creating an image that an item is reasonably valued at more than it really is this practice seems to encourage other wannabe sellers to match or even exceed that ridiculous price. I imagine that some people get duped by this into thinking these cds are actually commanding these astronomical prices when I doubt that there are people willing to spend close to a thousand dollars on a cd that sold a million copies or more at $15, many of which are sitting in used music stores now.

Mr. LP Collector likes this.
  10. Dave S

Dave S Forum Resident

Probably explains why I haven't bought an used CD on Amazon in ages. And also why Amazon keeps giving me money off vouchers.

11. visolo

visolo Well-Known Member

It only takes 1 buyer on ebay or Discogs to pay a lot for 1 CD, and then the rest of the sellers think they can sells theirs for that same amount. So always, blame the buyers, not the sellers.

ispace and Moggio_4K_Ultra_HD like this.
  12. Farmer Mike

Farmer Mike Forum Resident

sharedon likes this.
  13. ricks

ricks Senior Member

2 way street

ispace and eddiel like this.
  14. eddiel

eddiel Senior Member

I liked your post as it does take two to tango.

Sellers can often find that desperate buyer who is willing to pay the higher than normal price. That can set a new level, leaving other buyers, who were not desperate in a situation where they either pay or do not pay. Eventually, more people start to pay, especially if they start to feel that, the new higher price, is indeed the new price and not just an anomaly.

There are buyers who for months will refuse to pay a high price for a title that usually goes for a lot less. Then after a year of never finding a copy for less, they just relent and pay because 1) they want it and 2) that high price is essentially the new normal price.

It's a crazy time in the record collecting world.

15. Mr. LP Collector

Mr. LP Collector Forum Resident

Several months ago, I decided that was it for me with Amazon. $902.81, after a while I was wondering if I was going to count that number in my sleep. From that point forward, I've slowly and methodically cut back on buying from Amazon. I find more and more items from the E-Bay stores and Discogs. It doesn't seem that long ago that all Linda Ronstadt Asylum label back catalog were $3.98 and $4.98 on Amazon. In a few more months I'll get my renewal for Amazon Prime, I just might say to hell with it.

16. ILovethebassclarinet

ILovethebassclarinet Forum Resident

When I posted this, another poster told me that the place burned to the ground sometime after I was there; I sure hope that the records weren't casualties; there were some nice '50s and '60s obscurities there.

MrSka57 likes this.
  17. ILovethebassclarinet

One thing that I don't understand is why, some years back, Amazon did away with their superior "Advanced Search" which allowed one to enter fields like name of record company, which made it MUCH easier to strain out the many irrelevant responses.
    When that was working, "name of record company" when combined with sort by lowest price first was a very good way to find 'targeted bargains.' I've written to them many times about that, but have never gotten a response.

Eric_Generic likes this.
  18. ILovethebassclarinet

A crazy time indeed; reminds me of the 'out of print upon release' items; 'yeah, we're going to put it out, but you won't be finding any copies to buy.'
    What a 'business model.'

19. ukozcd

ukozcd Jedi

ispace and Digital Morphine like this.
  20. Dave S

Dave S Forum Resident

Some items are released simply to extend the copyright.

ARK and ILovethebassclarinet like this.
  21. ILovethebassclarinet

Understood, but still, 'if the copyright actually has commercial value, wouldn't it make sense to use that value?'
    I do get 'we can put that out ten years from now,' but that model also means that 'you won't be making any sales for 10 years' as well.
    "Pent-up demand" goes away when those doing the demanding are dead.

thnkgreen likes this.
  22. rjp

rjp Senior Member

why are used drive by truckers CD's so expansive?

23. thnkgreen

thnkgreen Sprezzatura! Thread Starter

24. thnkgreen

25. thnkgreen

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.