'Exile On Main Street' At 50 .... And Still The Greatest Stones Album!

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Wildest cat from montana, May 1, 2022.

1. drbryant

drbryant Senior Member

Yes, I remember those reviews. I can understand that feeling as well. I remember opening every McCartney album in the 70’s hoping for the one that would rival Abbey Road in breadth and significance. I finally gave up around the time of Give My Regards to Broad Street.

2. All Down The Line

All Down The Line The Under Asst East Coast White Label Promo Man

I have never heard it but the impression i get from many is that it was more a narrow lane.

3. All Down The Line

All Down The Line The Under Asst East Coast White Label Promo Man

Exile On Main Street 1972
    The Rolling Stones

US 5 Track Jukebox Promo 7"
    Atlantic Cat: COC 7-22900
    Envelope Top Picture Sleeve
    Full Interlocked Jukebox Labels

[​IMG]

4. johnnybrum

johnnybrum Forum Resident

5. lothianlad

lothianlad Forum Resident

That bit that follows the horns coming in is absolutely mega.

6. Bullis

Bullis Forum Resident

Best stones opener ever!!

7. Carl80

Carl80 Forum Resident

Just noticed new merch has been made available in the stones store for the 50th Anniversary , could this be in preparation for a new anniversary music release maybe round the corner, you would think there will be something, we’ll see what soon.

8. Oatsdad

Oatsdad Oat, Biscuits, Abbie & Mitzi: Best Dogs Ever

All Down The Line and linklinc1 like this.
  9. challenge

challenge Forum Resident

Totally forgot about ***** Galore covering the whole album that was a blast from the past growing up

‘Turd on the Run is nasty. People didn’t write songs like that’
    Jon Spencer, Jon Spencer and the Hitmakers

In ***** Galore, we covered Exile in its entirety because Sonic Youth had joked in interviews about doing the Beatles’ White Album.

10. Steve62

Steve62 Vinyl hunter

I just posted this message on the new Exile: the Weakest Link thread (a dumba$$ exercise in my opinion) but I should have said it here instead:
    I listened to this yesterday (2010 vinyl reissue) and it is one of those fantastic albums where the whole is greater than the sum of the parts. Very few of the songs would make a Stones top 40 compilation but the album as a whole is their best. It's a trip, a feeling, an out-of-body experience in places. Exile is arguably the best rock album of all time. Edit: and I don't think I should vote because I don't think there are any weak links. The songs are lighter and darker, softer and heavier, but not weak even in relative terms.

11. Gdgray

Gdgray Forum Resident

Just played 2011 SACD of Exile…..loudly of course. Personally hard to revisit …..reminds me of the decadent 70’s. Hearing Tumbling Dice and Happy gives me that weed, warm beer and cheap tequila taste in the mouth. Those two songs were definitely played too much along with certain Zeppelin and Doors songs in South Florida’s beach bars during early 70’s.
    However don’t know I would call it their greatest……Turd on the run says it all.

Oh yeah …..no weak songs here ….all fit record.

12. jjhunsecker

jjhunsecker Senior Member

"Sticky Fingers" is a great album, and certainly more easily accessible
    But "Exile" is not only the Stones's best album, but might be the best album by anyone (or in the Top 10 at the very least)

13. Rockhead

Rockhead Forum Resident

I have the same impression.
    Exile works great as background music with its over the top party vibe, but not so much if listened carefully. It's a very good album with lots of filler, if it makes any sense. I enjoy Exile's overall mood a lot more than most of the songs on the album.

I rate Beggars Banquet, Let It Bleed and Sticky Fingers much higher. I think Goats Head Soup is also better than Exile.

14. Fullbug

Fullbug Forum Resident

Second favorite, after Sticky Fingers.

15. Sex Lies And Master Tapes

Sex Lies And Master Tapes Gaulois réfractaire

Once you've listened to Exile, every other Stones album seem too polite and neat.

16. Paper Shark

Paper Shark Forum Resident

Glad you like it, but I never thought it lived up to the hype. I rather listen to a bunch of other Stones albums instead. To each his own.

17. Wildest cat from montana

Wildest cat from montana Humble Reader Thread Starter

That's how I feel about 'Sticky Fingers'.

Nearys Epiphany likes this.
  18. Paper Shark

Paper Shark Forum Resident

In the end, does it really matter? We all have our own tastes........

19. Wildest cat from montana

Wildest cat from montana Humble Reader Thread Starter

keyse1 likes this.
  20. Jules HKG

Jules HKG Forum Resident

So, I’ve got side 2 of Undercover on the turntable as I write this ;-)

For me Exile is a diamond in a big bag of Rolling Stones gems!

What’s greatest for me depends upon the mood I’m in :wiggle:

21. joseph maffei

joseph maffei Forum Resident

It would of been a great single album. Let it Bleed is their best album, in my opinion.

22. J. Frank Parnell

J. Frank Parnell Forum Resident

Got back into vinyl during the pandemic and this thread spurred me into digging out my copy of Exile that I bought almost 50 years ago and fell in love with instantly. I can't remember the last time I played my vinyl copy but it was at a minimum 30 years ago. Gave it a good cleaning and with some trepidation, I played it tonight and it sounded amazing - almost mint. It brought back memories of when I first played it and the magical world it introduced me to at around 13 years old, and honestly, I was almost in tears. Absolutely amazing album and it remains my favorite album by anyone of all time. "What a beautiful buzz..."

I will definitely be listening to it regularly, rather than streaming, now that I know how great the vinyl still sounds.

23. Sipuncula

Sipuncula Forum Resident

That's what I came here to say, but you said it better. I wasn't there when it came out, but I had the same feelings about it when I first heard it almost 30 years ago. Ramifications reverberate to this day, as Keith Richards might say. Really ignited my love for music, and I wouldn't be posting here now if not for that album.

24. Sex Lies And Master Tapes

Sex Lies And Master Tapes Gaulois réfractaire

I've got a similar experience myself because i first heard EOMS about 32 or 33 years ago (don't remember exactly when but it was in 89 or 90). I was about 19 and my brother with whom as a student i shared a flat in Paris, had bought the vinyl. I fell instantly in love with the record AND the cover, became obsessed with the music and played it everyday at least over a year or so.
    A few years later, i bought the Virgin remastered CD wich i played regularly. I haven't bought a vinyl copy still but your post strongly encourages me to do it.
    I became obsessed with this album to the point i did research about Robert Frank, bought his photographs book "Les Americains" and went to see a retrospective of his work at the Maison Européenne de la Photographie in Paris in 1997. Of course i also bought the book about their stay in the south of France and saw the documentary... :rolleyes: :winkgrin:

25. J. Frank Parnell

J. Frank Parnell Forum Resident

I did the exact same thing! I loved the cover and how it created the perfect mood for the album. Frank's photographs in that book are wonderful and I would recommend it to anyone else who is also obsessed with this album.