Expanded Procol Harum reissues (2015)

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by sharedon, Apr 20, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. MartinGr

MartinGr Senior Member

So now I have the first four Deluxe-CDs from Esoteric - and it was worth the money. I'm happy.

I did some further comparisions wite the song "A Salty Dog" - as I found some still working sample links in an older thread.

It seems obvious, that the Esoteric is sourced from the same analogue source as the MFSL CD. It is a bit louder - but with matched levels, I can't tell them apartthey sound very, very close.
    AND they share the same tape problem. The noise with some crackles, that I don't find on my other CD versions. They run in very good sync, but not sample exact. So it's a different transfer.

After all I've compared, the old CUBE/Teldec is now my favourite (which I almost gave away, because it looks so cheap). Sounds cleaner, and has a bit more body.
    But apart from that, I don't need much more than the Esoterics now.
    I wish there was more information about the existing master tapes from the Regal Zonophone era - and what was used and rediscovered when?

2. townsend

townsend Senior Member

I haven't followed this thread blow-by-blow, because I have all the Salvo reissues. I usually don't care much for alternate tracks, but sometimes mono vs. stereo is revealing. Can anyone venture to say which of any of these might be considered an upgrade? Its seems that sonically, it's a wash. Thanks.

3. originalsnuffy

originalsnuffy Socially distant and unstuck in time

Replace the first two Salvos with Esoterics and you are probably done. If the first Salvo does not bug you then just replace Shine on Brightly.

4. weaselriot

weaselriot Forum Resident

Interesting viewpoint. I, too, always preferred Procol Harum with Robin Trower, though I think at least "Grand Hotel" and "Exotic Birds and Fruit" were not exactly chopped liver either. More interestingly, I likewise preferred Trower's work AS a member of Procol Harum over his solo work, with its markedly different style (the latter style tending more toward Hendrix, while his work with PH tended more toward the later style of, say David Gilmour). To me, his guitar breaks on "(Outside the Gates of) Cerdes" were absolute king of the hill, at least through the end of 1967. Another favorite was his last break on "In Held 'Twas in I" (toward the end right before the final chorus).

However, on further reflection, I'm not so sure that Trower's PH style would have been that good a match with his post-PH band anyway. In the end, I will say that "Robin Trower Live" is the best way to hear post-PH Trower, with "Bridge of Sighs" being the best of the studio albums. After that, good comp rounding up the best of the rest is good enough for me.

5. originalsnuffy

I think that Robin's playing on Broken Barricades was also very much Hendrix influenced.

Joti Cover and weaselriot like this.
  6. Joti Cover

Joti Cover Forum Resident

I'm rarely that picky when it comes to the difference in the SQ between CD and vinyl releases especially if the CD is remastered by worthy companies such as MOFI. And as we all know the CD can prevail in many cases. But there exceptions now and then. One of them is Broken Barricades where the vinyl version is far superior to the CD versions I've heard.

The MOFI CD is the best version I've heard of BB in digital (many here feel it is as well) but it just doesn't come close to the early 70s A&M vinyl.
    This record was recorded very well imo....and there is a particular (tuneful + wonderful) sound to the drums that the CD never delivers. Are there any other fans of BB who share my opinion?
    This one so far to my ears is only meant to be in analog altough I would love to be proven wrong someday.

7. pdenny

pdenny 22-Year SHTV Participation Trophy Recipient

That's an understatement, especially on "Song for a Dreamer" :righton:

weaselriot and Joti Cover like this.
  8. Joti Cover

Trower is just so confident, creative and fluid on this lp.....love his fat tone too.

9. weaselriot

weaselriot Forum Resident

On further review, I note your preference for the "2001 Japanese K2HD" as nearly the equal of the MFSL. I am definitely not arguing against that. However, I have both the 2001 Japan K2 and the 2006 Japan K2 (which I think is based on the Westside due to same bonus tracks as the latter). But only the 2006 Japan K2 is a K2HD. My 2001 Japan is just K2. I also have the MFSL BTW (different trip than either K2, that, but quite excellent in its own right). Could you double check whether your 2001 Japan K2 is actually K2HD? I was not aware there was such an animal.

Frankly I think the K2HDs generally got their Procol Harum titles (debut through "Home") quite right, partly because they were based on the Westsides, which were also very good. On the other hand, I didn't care much for the K2HDs for, say, Emerson, Lake and Palmer.

BTW the Todd Rundgren K2HDs are very good as well.

10. originalsnuffy

I only have one K2HD; a 2006 version of the first album. The source seems to be the same master tapes as the Westside release. In my view, that is the absolute best version of the first album. However, the Esoteric and Westside versions are quite enjoyable and I am not sure if the small incremental difference to find the K2HD would be worthwhile if you already have the Westside or Esoteric. Personally I do not care for the Salvo but not all agree.

11. Captain Groovy

Captain Groovy Senior Member

I'm enjoying the heck out of the first one right now (I also had the Salvo 2009 one, which is now back on the shelf for good)...

Is there a stereo remix of "Good Captain Clack" - did they remix in 1971? If not, anyone hear the diff. between the mono LP side and the mono b-side? I can't!

Also, I had no idea a "Procol" session happened in 1970 where they went through old favorites!

Does anyone own Ain't Nothin' To Get Excited About? Had no idea it existed but dying to hear! Insanely OOP now.

Ain't Nothin' to Get Excited About - Wikipedia »

Any word on whether they are going to keep going so we get to the beloved Grand Hotel, Exotic Birds, 9th, etc. or not because they switched to Chrysalis?

Jeff

Joti Cover likes this.
  12. Marvin

Marvin Senior Member

I don't know about stereo vs mono but I think the difference between album/single version is that the single is missing the cymbal crash right before the organ break.

Yes. It appears to be available at this link:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Aint-Nothin-Get-Excited-About/dp/B00006ALRI/ref=sr_1_fkmr1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1477587971&sr=8-1-fkmr1&keywords=ain't+nothing+to+get+excited

There's also a DVD (I'm Coming Home) recorded in 2005 by the original Paramounts. Not sure if this is available anywhere.

None that I've heard.

Last edited: Oct 27, 2016
    Captain Groovy likes this.
  13. Dennis Metz

Dennis Metz Born In A Motor City south of Detroit

I have it....fantastic :cheers:

14. Bob J

Bob J Forum Resident

I recently picked this one up but haven't played it yet. Supposedly, the better issue is the one remastered in 2005 on Friday Music,
    #8-2942110242-7. From what I've read, this is the one that sounds the best. Hope you can find one for a decent price.

15. The Panda

The Panda Forum Mutant

I also have it, love hearing everybody hanging loose on those oldies.

Dennis Metz likes this.
  16. Norbert Becker

Norbert Becker Senior Member

No need to single out this LP for that comment!

17. soundQman

soundQman Senior Member

I have it and played it a couple of times. Aptly titled, IMO. Sorry.

18. originalsnuffy

I don't play John Licorice Death very often. It is simply an oldies jam with most of Procol. Original tapes were lost so what we all have is from a 4 track dub. The Friday music version is slightly better and is the one that I kept. I sold the Repertoire a few months ago for a good price.

19. Dennis Metz

Dennis Metz Born In A Motor City south of Detroit

No:cheers:

20. Joti Cover

What CD version do you enjoy the most?

21. originalsnuffy

With regards to Broken Barricades, the elusive and expensive MOFI is what gets the most praise on these forums.

Personally, as a former owner of the MOFI and a current owner of the Salvo, I think the MOFI is overrated. The Salvo is just fine. The EQ is a bit more aggressive perhaps but I think that upping the bass a tad actually helps.

Did you know that a version of this album was actually released with DBX encoding on vinyl? I purchased it thinking it would be a collector's item but it has disappeared from my collection. I do not remember selling it.

I always liked the way the cut out opened up on the Vinyl in the US versions. There were one or two CD versions like that also.

My favorite "version" of the album is not really the album per se but the radio broadcast that circulates in the traders world from a WMMR concert from 1971 known on vinyl as The Elusive Procol Harum or Shine on Live. That really should be released officially; it was a great show. BJ at his finest.

Last edited: Oct 30, 2016
  22. NumberEight

NumberEight Came too late and stayed too long

And in the UK.

Joti Cover likes this.
  23. Joti Cover

Thank you! I must get the Salvo then.....very interesting as well about the DBX encoded version.
    I have a live broadcast CD from April '71 somewhere on my shelves and will see if it matches your title.
    I remembering enjoying it.

24. originalsnuffy

The CD version may well have another name. I think it opens with Memorial Drive. Listen man, there's 50 million people listening. But whos it for?

Joti Cover likes this.
  25. Peter_R

Peter_R Maple Syrple Gort Staff

The one I know (that starts with Memorial Drive is a broadcast of the band live on WPLJ, 95.5 FM, April 12, 1971.
    Often titled as Robin's Last Stand.

originalsnuffy and Joti Cover like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.