Experiment with VPI Turntable AC polarity...

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by Todd Fredericks, Apr 1, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Todd Fredericks

Todd Fredericks Senior Member Thread Starter

I didn't get a chance to do any polarity tests this weekend (I'm in the process of looking for a new apartment, so my time is a bit crazy). I decided to wait until I settle into a new place before I commit to serious testing. This will save me the trouble of having to do everything again when I'm hopefully moved into a new place in a few weeks. I did try a pillow tweak (Tom Port's idea) this weekend. Check out my other post about the results. Anyway, I'll post results of my polarity experiments after I move.

All the best,

Todd

P.S. What a lot of incredible stuff I'm learning grom this forum...

2. KLM

KLM Senior Member

I've been following this post with great interest and had a couple of questions about how the polarity of a turntable can affect the sound. Now don't get me wrong as I have used tweaks before with great success and generally believe there are improvements to be had from ideas that sound suspect. I also know that Clark is a man on a mission and generally is right on the mark. Lastly, I know polarity can play a huge difference is the sound of electronics and needs to be corrected.

My question though is if you have a VPI turntable with an isolated motor, how does the polarity effect the sound up the cartridge and into the tonearm. These should be isolated from one another. Additionally, the heavy platter on the VPI should discount any slight wow and flutter that might be generated from the AC motor.

I don't usually ask for scientific explanations on why things work because there isn't always a good answer and the proof is in the listening. This just struck me as odd though I'm sure I will have to try it once I can make a trip to Radio Shack for the proper meter.

3. Todd Fredericks

Todd Fredericks Senior Member Thread Starter

I'm not sure of all the technical reasons of why finding the correct polarity on a VPI TT motor would help. I believe that it ensures that the motor is operating as as designed, maintaining correct speed and less vibration (which would be transmitted to the platter). I'm sure Clark will explain this (which I look forward to so I can understand this better myself).

Todd

4. Kevin Korom

Kevin Korom New Member

Hi guys,

after the last round of polarity discussions, I spent an afternoon trying every piece of my music system both ways. Yes, they did sound different, some very slight, others very noticeable.

This weekend I tried the VOM trick, and (if I can pound my chest here;)), every piece in my system was set so that it passed Kim's test! So none of you can call me deaf now:D

Seriously, if any of you lurkers haven't tried this, get off your keisters & do it! It's right in everybody's price range...free!

5. Tullman

Tullman Senior Member

Can anyone tell me if the elfix polarity tester works?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.