External Power Source for Phono Preamp: Are there benefits?

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by Jared Purdy, Oct 29, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Jared Purdy

Jared Purdy Active Member Thread Starter

The title pretty well captures the essence of my inquiry. I currently have the Gold Note PH10 phono preamp and I've been thinking of making a COVID purchase in the absence of anything else to do.

I believe I can get the Gold Note PSU10 for less than $1500CDN (The PH10 currently sells for roughly $2300CDN from what I've seen on Canuck Audio Mart). I'd like to know if it's money well spent and if I'll hear a noticeable difference.

The rest of my gear is Acoustic Solid Solid Edition TT with the Acoustic Solid WTB213 tone arm, Benz Micro Wood cartridge, Simm Audio Moon 7iVII amp, Simm Audio Moon 650D CD transport and DAC, Sonus Faber Olympica III speakers, Cardas Clear Cygnus bi-wire speaker cables, and Cardas Clear Cygnus XLR, RCA interconnects and power cords through out. Plugged into the Cardas Nautilus power bar.

2. Benzion

Benzion "Cogito, ergo sum" Forum Resident

Yes, lower noise floor.

Jared Purdy likes this.
  3. Drotz1

Drotz1 Forum Resident

Many like the Sbooster PSU also. I use it with a DV p75mk4 but I'm not sure if does anything better for that specific phono premp?

4. Jared Purdy

Thanks for the reply. I'd stick with the dedicated Gold Note PSU as it was designed specifically for the Gold Note PH10. Also, I can buy the PSU from the same business that I bought the PH10 from.

5. Jared Purdy

Thanks for the reply. I've read about this thing that is referred to as the "noise floor", which is what baffles me. I'm not sure what "noise" there is because I don't her anything other than music, whether it's coming from the CD, TT or the tuner.

6. Davey

Davey NP: Hania Rani ~ Ghosts (2023 LP)

Jared Purdy likes this.
  7. Squiggsy68

Squiggsy68 Forum Resident

I've got the PH10 and the PSU. If your question is will you hear a noticeable difference then my answer is that yes, I believe you will.

Lower noise floor (i.e. blacker backgrounds) - you'll think you're hearing more of the music and with more dynamics to it as well, because your brain isn't having to spend as much time filtering out background noises that you're not consciously aware of (that's my understanding of it anyway). Also increased soundstage, better separation between instruments.

I was tentative about buying the PSU as the PH10 on its own was such an increase in quality over my previous phono stage - but I'm more than happy with the improvement that the PSU brings.

Jared Purdy likes this.
  8. Jared Purdy

9. Jared Purdy

Thanks. I spoke to my contact who sold me the PH10 and he said it was well worth the money. I have to wait until the order comes in in December. I'm going to take the plunge on it.

Squiggsy68 likes this.
  10. Benzion

Benzion "Cogito, ergo sum" Forum Resident

Noise floor is what is formally called S/N ratio - signal to noise. The number that follows it, in dB, shows how much lower the noise will be as compared to the signal. So, S/N of 80 dB means that the noise is 80 dB below the signal level. The higher the number - the lower the noise floor, the better.

Jared Purdy likes this.
  11. Jared Purdy

Thanks for that explanation!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.