Extracting soundtracks from BDs & DVDs

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by snowdog, Aug 1, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. snowdog

snowdog Forum Resident Thread Starter

Hi all.

I have a bunch of discs (mostly Doctor Who, to be fair) that have isolated soundtracks that I'd like to be able to listen to on the move (& without all the long gaps in).

I don't have a blu-ray burner at the moment, so that will obviously be the first step (any recommendations welcome).

I'm on a Mac. I have a bunch of audio converters & editors but what I'm really concerned about is how to maintain the quality from the discs' encoding to a lossless master, from which I can make my usual M4A file.

(I did a quick search for this & it came up blank but if this discussion exists elsewhere, feel free to point me in the right direction.)

Thanks.

2. Brucedgoose

Brucedgoose Forum Resident

Here’s how I copy music Blu-ray and DVD soundtracks to my digital system.
    I use a disc player that has analog outputs. I route the analog output of the DVD/Blu-ray player to my preamp’s tape circuit. The tape output feeds a CD recorder (not a computer), which gives me a CD-R which I then can rip to my Sony Hard Disc player. Easy! The quality is high even though the transfer is analog because every link in the chain is intended for high-quality audio reproduction. I think this method is also less hassle than using a computer. And I can take the CD-R into my car for playback there, too.

hi_watt and snowdog like this.
  3. snowdog

snowdog Forum Resident Thread Starter

An interesting idea. The only problem is that the isolated soundtracks I'm talking about have whole swathes of silence in them that will need editing out before the final edit can be turned into a coherent soundtrack.

There are companies like Elite Soundtracks who, as far as I can tell, do exactly this & them sell them alongside legitimate release as expanded soundtrack albums. I'm pretty sure that's why they're not allowed for sale in the Discogs marketplace.

4. Brucedgoose

Brucedgoose Forum Resident

If you want, you can edit those silences out when you transfer the original CD-R to a hard drive. Then, recreate an edited CD-R from the hard drive copy. Degradation will be very minimal, if at all.

snowdog likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.